SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Does anyone know if Jason Blake was a captian or an alternative captain when he played for UND?

definitely no.

Senior year 1998-99. Adam Caldor C. Didn't David Hoogstein have an "A".

It wasn't that big of a deal he didn't get it as we had a big and great senior class that year.

Brad Williamson with the other "A"?

Listening to Denis Savard's postgame press conference right now and boy is he displeased with former Mav Backes, and I quote, "he went after Hjarmellson, how tough is he, we'll find out one day." Something tells me to watch the future Blues/Hawks matchups

Don't know if this was posted earlier, but a nice piece on Jonny on NHL.com.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=357686

Toews, a hard-as-nails center and leader beyond his years, was the third overall pick in the 2006 Entry Draft. Kane, a smallish right wing with a flair for creating with and without the puck, was the first overall pick last June. Both possess a vision and sense of seeing the play develop in front of them. From there, they are smart enough to read off one another the way Savard did for so many years with Steve Larmer.

Toews is from Winnipeg, went to Shattuck-St. Mary's, the successful prep program in Minnesota, and then had two great seasons at the University of North Dakota.

The team looked lost when Toews missed 16 games with a knee injury suffered Jan. 1. When he returned on Feb. 10, everything on the team improved.

"There is a different aura about this team when he's in the lineup," Blackhawks General Manager Dale Tallon said of Toews. "He goes so hard even in the pregame skate sometimes, Savvy has to say; 'Slow down, kid!'"

While Toews is a future captain, Kane is the team's heartbeat.

Also a nice little blurb on Ryan Johnson.

St. Louis -- Blues center Ryan Johnson leads the League's forwards with 97 blocked shots, 26 more than second-place Chris Drury. ...

Brian Lee will be in the lineup for the Senators this evening.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

nice! maybe he and commie will be paired up, they can take runs at stafford together :silly:

so as of tonight the sioux have 6 d men in the show, not bad

matt greene - edm

matt jones - phx

mike commodore - ott

matt smaby - tb

david hale - cgy

brina lee - ott

I know it's been listed before, but flipping through center ice last night to watch all the Sioux playing made me remember how good this program is and how lucky we have been to be able to watch so many terrific players (and yes, I know that all of them aren't in the line-up everynight)

Buffalo - Drew Stafford

Calgary - David Hale

Carolina - Ryan Bayda

Chicago - Jonny Toews

Edmonton - Matt Greene

Nashville - Brandon Bochenski

New Jersey - Zach Parise, Travis Zajac

Ottawa - Mike Commodore, Brian Lee

Phoenix - Matt Jones

St. Louis - Ryan Johnson

Tampa Bay - Matt Smaby

Toronto - Jason Blake

I know it's been listed before, but flipping through center ice last night to watch all the Sioux playing made me remember how good this program is and how lucky we have been to be able to watch so many terrific players (and yes, I know that all of them aren't in the line-up everynight)

Buffalo - Drew Stafford

Calgary - David Hale

Carolina - Ryan Bayda

Chicago - Jonny Toews

Edmonton - Matt Greene

Nashville - Brandon Bochenski

New Jersey - Zach Parise, Travis Zajac

Ottawa - Mike Commodore, Brian Lee

Phoenix - Matt Jones

St. Louis - Ryan Johnson

Tampa Bay - Matt Smaby

Toronto - Jason Blake

Man Bochenski has really become a journeyman...he just cannot seem to find a home. Congrats to him for sticking with it. Was on the glass the other night while the Oilers were warming up beofore playing the Wild. Looks like big Matt needs some dental work!! He is huge on skates though!!

Man Bochenski has really become a journeyman...he just cannot seem to find a home. Congrats to him for sticking with it. Was on the glass the other night while the Oilers were warming up beofore playing the Wild. Looks like big Matt needs some dental work!! He is huge on skates though!!

whats BO gona do? go get a 9 to 5 :lol: no way. its a BO problem with how many teams he has been on. theres nothing wrong with being a journeyman or a career ahl er. matt is a friken giant out there! he and commodore would be fun to see be paired together someday :)

whats BO gona do? go get a 9 to 5 :lol: no way. its a BO problem with how many teams he has been on. theres nothing wrong with being a journeyman or a career ahl er. matt is a friken giant out there! he and commodore would be fun to see be paired together someday :)

I am not saying he should get a 9 to 5. Just saying he qualifies for journeyman status!! He has been on a boatload of teams!!!! Too bad we can't sign him for the weekend.

Great Falls Tribune: Forty years later, the Legend of Terry Casey still resonates

Not very big," said Cunniff. "But a great, great all-around athlete."

Casey was but 5-8 and 150 pounds when he graduated from Great Falls High in 1962.

He became national star at the University of North Dakota, where his No. 12 is retired. Casey played 88 games in three seasons for the Fighting Sioux and amassed 118 points (57 goals, 61 assists).

He was an American Hockey Coaches Association All-American in the 1965-66, when in 30 games he had 26 goals and 28 assists. The college All-American team is divided into two regions, East and West. Casey was named to West squad in 1966. The goaltender on that team was Tony Esposito of Michigan Tech, who went on to a Hall-of-Fame career in the NHL.

Heady stuff, to be sure. But 40 years later, friends say Casey was confident but far from cocky.

"He was shy and didn't really like the limelight," Borgreen said.

But he found it all right. Casey made the national U.S. hockey team in 1967 and that February traveled to Vienna, Austra, for the world championships. He would have played hockey on Team USA in the 1968 Winter Olympics in Grenoble, France.

Always true to his roots, Casey never apparently forgot where he came from. In the summer of 1967 he came home to Great Falls, where on many weekends to played fastpitch softball with his pals.

Casey was in a carload of friends headed for a Plentywood tournament that fateful July day when a wreck on the highway changed Great Falls sports history forever.

Great Falls Tribune: Forty years later, the Legend of Terry Casey still resonates

He became national star at the University of North Dakota, where his No. 12 is retired. Casey played 88 games in three seasons for the Fighting Sioux and amassed 118 points (57 goals, 61 assists).

I thought only Ralph's number was retired.

The Casey tribute was quite prominent at the old arena. I've never found it at the new one. Pretty inexplicable. That 12 should be hanging from the rafters.

One the big screen between periods they had the trivia and it's which two numbers are retired. Unfortunately they never gave the names with the numbers. Now I know.