SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

The second entry of Adam Burish's Team USA blog is up: Team bonding

Just another update as to what our team has been up to the past two days. On Monday, we woke up and went to practice. Following practice the coaches informed us they set up an afternoon of paintballing for the team. So we all jumped on the bus and drove a half hour outside of Portland to a paintball field.

We set up two teams, the "old guys" vs. the "young guys." The " old guys" were 25 and older, which is called old in this bunch of guys. The funniest part of the experience was right when we showed up Matt Greene and Zach Parise went right to the middle of the field and on the count of three started shooting point blank at each other as we all looked on.

If you have ever gone paintballing you know that when those balls hit you it really hurts as they travel between 60-80 mph. It was hilarious to see them jumping around while they freely shot each other. The next day at practice everybody was laughing at guys that had their bodies covered in welts left from getting shot all afternoon.

Sounds like good times for the old roommates.

So there is talk on the Hawks website about the official store for the Hawks selling game used equipment. Used sticks that retail for over $200 are being sold for $50 bucks along with many of the players custom skates, and I noticed some of Lalime's and Habby's pads. Sadly though, the minimum for any Toews or Kane equipment is $250. But I am buying like 4 sticks for myself just to play with.

Parise with a goal in today's game against Latvia... USA is up 4-0 with about five minutes left in the game. Canada also won 5-1, however Toews only played just over seven minutes

game over, i would just like to say that the final five minutes took FOREVER! I don't know what was going on, but I wish I would have been able to see it.

From a Patrick Sharp Q&A:

Q) What are some of the most interesting comments or questions you've heard about your Blackhawks teammates -- whether it's opponents like Kane and Wiz, or Canadian teammates like Toews and Duncan Keith?

A) There’s been a lot of questions about the Hawks actually, which is probably a good sign I think. We were able to bring Jonathan Toews' nickname to Team Canada, so we’ve got guys calling him "Mr. Serious" now, which gives everybody a good chuckle in the room -- especially the Chicago guys.

Q) I have to confess I missed that moniker, though it certainly applies. When did it start?

A) I think it started toward the end of the year. It’s not really an insult or to make fun of him; he’s just always so focused and takes everything so seriously. So we nicknamed him ‘Mr. Serious’ and it kind of stuck with him on Team Canada as well.

Q) Today's an off-day for you, at least in terms of games. What are you doing with your down time?

A) I just finished battling with a couple guys on Xbox 360. We were playing NHL 2008. I was playing against Toews, Cam Ward and San Gagner. We just had a little tournament here so it’s pretty fun. Shane Doan’s kids were in the room as well. Make sure if you include this that I was beating Toews pretty good.

For those of you who can get TSN they have switched from the Royal Bank Cup to the World Cup game between the US and Finland. Still 0-0 half way through the first period.

Team USA went deep sea fishing yesterday and apparently both Parise and Kessel got sea sick. :D Kessel seems to fine as scored to make it 2-0 USA near the end of the second period.

Update: International officiating strikes again as Finland gets awarded their first goal on a shot that clearly went in through the side of the net. The young US squad were adversely impacted by this call and went on to lose 3-2. The game ended in a bench clearing brawl that saw Backes absolutely destroy a Finn's beak. He and the Finn are suspended. Matt Greene may miss USA's next game as he was picked up for being the first player off of his bench.

Team USA went deep sea fishing yesterday and apparently both Parise and Kessel got sea sick. :D Kessel seems to fine as scored to make it 2-0 USA near the end of the second period.

That's weak. Come on Parise, haven't you ever been fishing before. :D

The US got hosed on the Finland game. Parise should've taken a swing at the ref with his stick. I'm sure his Dad wouldn't have minded.

1972 Summit Series - Game 8

You have a good memory - you'll see the Parise at about 1 min into the clip.

Parise Almost Took Referee's Head Off

Kompalla (the ref) might not have lasted long in today's NHL or International competition, but one thing is for certain: If Shepherd is willing to keep Don Adam... why wouldn't he go after Kompalla.

Hence: The moral of this story is, things could always be worse in the WCHA.

• 2 weeks later...