SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Carolina (Bayda) and Chicago (Toews) mat for the first time this season last night. Before the game, the Canes were on a 4 game win streak and the Hawks on a 3 game losing streak. Afterwards, Carolina had extended to 5 wins, and Chicago to 4 losses, with a 3-0 shutout of the Hawks. Toews and Kane were not only kept in check, they looked completely frustrated because the Carolina defense just wouldnt let many shots through or anyone to get in the slot, or any other good shooting spots, on hardly any occasions. Toews did rough it up with Tim Conboy after Conboy hit a Hawk player into the boards coming back to touch up for icing. Conboy got boarding and roughing minors, even though the Hawks player's back was NOT to Conboy. Toews, curiously enough, got a boarding penalty as well, even though all he did was give Conboy a bloody lip. They were held back from each other by the refs.

This was my first time being able to watch Johnny since he left UND. He looked good out there. Much stronger on the puck, and you can tell his hockey sense is way up there. Was a good game to start. both teams came out hungry and fast. When the Canes got the first PP goal it had the potential to still be a good game. Then the 2nd one a few mins later almost sealed it. When Joe Corvo held up at the blue line and slid the puck to Eric Staal who undressed Duncan Keith and slid the puck 5-hole by Corey Crawford in a sweet backhand move, you could tell who had the momentum and the will to win.

Parise's Proud Pop Makes Good Call via Newark Star Ledger

Zach's return to MN in brief:

Nervous Parise comes home, gets booed, gives teammate whiplash. Devils set record for family attending game, win in shootout.

Also, the Devils confirmed that JPar had season ending hip surgery in Colorado; he was one of the Parise party of 69. ( :) )

Something odd of note: Paul Martin had more 1st cousins (90) in attendance at the game than Parise had total people (69). Damn, can those gophers procreate.

Devils Coach believes in slumping Zajac:

Sutter acknowledged that this has been a difficult season for Zajac.

"Last year he's a young guy who comes in and is excited. Everything was going well for him. This year the pressure is on him," Sutter said. "I don't look at where Trav is today. It's where he's going to be 3-4 years down the road. It's a process you go through mentally and physically and Trav is going through that right now.

"It's nurturing him along now for mental toughness for him to become a better player. He is being challenged. Not in a negative way. It's more for Trav and his future as a player. Do you want to be a player at this level or a darn good player? I want him to be a darn good player."

Link - Newark Star Ledger

Stafford with 3 assists as Buff scores 6 in the 3rd period

Staff and Smaby on the same ice tonight. Stafford had the better night with 3 assists - actually Smaby should be counted with an assist for Buffalo as well since the puck went off his stick for the 1st Buffalo goal - REALLY bad luck. On a better note for Matt - he had 4 really solid hits.

Does anyone know if Jason Blake was a captian or an alternative captain when he played for UND?

Not absolutely positive - but I don't think so. If I remember correctly, Jason, until the latter part of his senior year wasn't exactly a "team first" guy. Really great player, but got benched at least once by Blaiser for "attitude".

Not absolutely positive - but I don't think so. If I remember correctly, Jason, until the latter part of his senior year wasn't exactly a "team first" guy. Really great player, but got benched at least once by Blaiser for "attitude".

Oh ok! Just was wondering, Thanks! :)

I've also heard that about him.