SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Toews should have no competition now for the Blackhawks favorite son..................... plus if Kane ends up with jail time, they might get him to sign a contract for cheap as some teams may be reluctant to sign him after his off ice problems.........this could ultimately work out nice for the hawks.

Are you kidding? This is Chicago. Getting arrested is guaranteed to increase Kane jersey sales. Maybe Toews can knock over a gas station or kick a puppy into Lake Michigan. ;):sad:

I agree with you.How could Kane be so stupid?.I thought he was way better then that.What's 20 cents to him anyway?...he's worth how many millions?.Nobody's perfect we all make mistakes,but c'mon now.REALLY!!!

What you say is probably true, but facts can seem awfully one-sided until both both versions are told (grant you that they probaby won't be if they negotiate a plea and related civil claims are settled).

For anyone in the Chicago area that is interested, the USA Hockey Olympic Men's Orientation Camp is on Monday and Tuesday this week. The camp is open to the public and takes place at the Seven Bridges Ice Arena in Woodridge, Illinois.

Schedule,

http://www.usahockey.com/Template_Usahocke...5&id=260044

Group 1 Roster,

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/073009...pRosterGrp1.doc

Group 2 Roster,

http://usahockey.cachefly.net/Media/073009...pRosterGrp2.doc

haven't seen it posted:

per Brad:

Men's Hockey on Twitter, Oshie Not

First bit of news.....OSHIE IS NOT ON TWITTER!!!! :sad: Now, on to the important news.....Watty (Watkins) is now a free agent as Dallas did not sign him as of yesterday.

watkins seems to be a echl guy im guessing or maybe a echl /ahl but echl for a year or two. has to be disapointing for dallas as well as him but hope he can play for a few years in the states or overseas if it all works out for him. watkins played hard every single shift for the sioux. if he continues that he will get his chance somewhere

watkins seems to be a echl guy im guessing or maybe a echl /ahl but echl for a year or two. has to be disapointing for dallas as well as him but hope he can play for a few years in the states or overseas if it all works out for him. watkins played hard every single shift for the sioux. if he continues that he will get his chance somewhere

We'll definitely find out. I agree, the ECHL seems to be a better fit for Watty right now, but Rylan has gotten playing time in the AHL and I would think Matt can be just as effective as Kaip on the ice. Not only that, but he may get a better opportunity based on his 5th round pick status and North Dakota pedigree. Watty can fly on the ice, and may not have the greatest offensive skill set, but is a good two-way player and can be one of those role players that an AHL team might want/need. I hope he at least gets a chance. Sometimes if you find the right situation, a player like Matt can come out of his offensive shell to go along with his defensive abilities.

We'll definitely find out. I agree, the ECHL seems to be a better fit for Watty right now, but Rylan has gotten playing time in the AHL and I would think Matt can be just as effective as Kaip on the ice. Not only that, but he may get a better opportunity based on his 5th round pick status and North Dakota pedigree. Watty can fly on the ice, and may not have the greatest offensive skill set, but is a good two-way player and can be one of those role players that an AHL team might want/need. I hope he at least gets a chance. Sometimes if you find the right situation, a player like Matt can come out of his offensive shell to go along with his defensive abilities.

I dont see Watkins ever being an offensive player. He is a defensive player and a good PK guy that is it.

I dont see Watkins ever being an offensive player. He is a defensive player and a good PK guy that is it.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying that sometimes you get put in the right situation where you can put up a few points to keep yourself worthy of maintaining a position on an AHL staff vs. an ECHL staff, especially if he can bring the same defensive responsibility he did while at UND.

Zajac got married this past weekend.

Now the only question is whether the kids will go to their Dad's alma mater or their Mom's.

Maybe this is a dumb question and we all should know this, but who did Zajac marry? Where did she go to school? Should I know this?

Maybe this is a dumb question and we all should know this, but who did Zajac marry? Where did she go to school? Should I know this?

I was thinking the same thing.

The new Mrs. Zajac is Nicole Heckle. She played at UNH while I was an undergrad so I got to see her play a couple times a year; she was really good. I think they've been together since they were in high school. And no, I don't think this is information everyone would necessarily know, but Zajac mentioned in interviews that he was getting married in summer of '09 and the only reason I knew he got married this Saturday is because one of the Devils reporters wrote a congratulatory post on his blog (so no twitter/facebook/myspace/stalking took place, I swear.)

Zajac got married this past weekend.

Now the only question is whether the kids will go to their Dad's alma mater or their Mom's.

Well, if they want to win a Title they should go to UND, or they can go to the University of No Hardware (UNH). :sad:

Congrats to Travis and the wife. ;)

Watkins skates better than most, and that'll get him at least his shot at the AHL. Teams at every level need role players, and the better you skate, the better your chances.

Watkins went down after a knee-on-knee check against UMD at the Final Five, and the Sioux didn't win again. He came back out in the third period to test it, couldn't go, sat out the next day against Wisconsin, and then was clearly not full strength against UNH. Every team's nicked up, so no excuses, but who knows how it goes if he's flying around out there.

Watkins skates better than most, and that'll get him at least his shot at the AHL. Teams at every level need role players, and the better you skate, the better your chances.

Watkins went down after a knee-on-knee check against UMD at the Final Five, and the Sioux didn't win again. He came back out in the third period to test it, couldn't go, sat out the next day against Wisconsin, and then was clearly not full strength against UNH. Every team's nicked up, so no excuses, but who knows how it goes if he's flying around out there.

All we needed him to do was buy us one more second at some point in that 3rd period.... :sad:

Man, that still stings....I almost forgot about that game too.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Olympic camps begin

The quest for Vancouver has begun in the U.S. for four former Sioux players.

Zach Parise and T.J. Oshie currently are participating in the U.S. Olympic men's evaluation camp, while Monique and Jocelyne Lamoureux are participating in the women's camp.

The Lamoureux twins will know on Monday whether they are centralizing with the U.S. team. That's when the initial roster will be announced. A few cuts will be made as the team roster gets down to 21 in December.

The men's roster probably won't be known until this winter.

For more information on both, usahockey.com has posted updates and media guides.

Jonathan Toews begins his quest to make Team Canada next week. For more info on the Canadian team, go here.

per brad

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

Olympic camps begin

The quest for Vancouver has begun in the U.S. for four former Sioux players.

Zach Parise and T.J. Oshie currently are participating in the U.S. Olympic men's evaluation camp, while Monique and Jocelyne Lamoureux are participating in the women's camp.

The Lamoureux twins will know on Monday whether they are centralizing with the U.S. team. That's when the initial roster will be announced. A few cuts will be made as the team roster gets down to 21 in December.

The men's roster probably won't be known until this winter.

For more information on both, usahockey.com has posted updates and media guides.

Jonathan Toews begins his quest to make Team Canada next week. For more info on the Canadian team, go here.

In my expert :sad: opinion, the only question mark there is Oshie. I'd say Parise (US) and Toews (CAN) should easily be on their country's teams on the men's side and the Lamoureaux girls should make the US team on the women's side. Toews may not be a "shoe-in" for Canada, but he should make it.

Zach Parise once said in a q&a session that if he couldn't be a hockey player he'd actually want to play professional baseball (not be a golfer).

Well . . . here you go.

His Dad also once said his hand-eye was so good he never struck out as a little-leaguer.

per brad

Chris Porter re-signs with St. Louis

Former UND captain Chris Porter will stay with the St. Louis Blues.

Porter inked a two-year deal reportedly worth a little more than $1.1 million with St. Louis -- the organization he's spent the last two seasons with.

Porter split time with the Peoria Rivermen in the AHL and the Blues last season. He played six games for the Blues at the start of the season, scoring a goal and adding an assist. In 74 games with Peoria, the two-way forward had seven goals, 16 assists and 23 points.

At UND, Porter gained a lot of notoriety for his Iron Man status -- he won the team's Iron Man award in dryland training for three years in a row, and also became the WCHA's all-time Iron Man by playing in all 175 college games.

Ryan Duncan ended up tying that mark of 175 straight games last season and Chay Genoway will have a shot at tying his dryland mark this year.

Also of note, Lee Goren will now play this upcoming season for Tappara in Finland. Goren helped his Swedish Elite League team win a championship last season and had planned to go back there this year. But according to reports, he's going to Finland instead.

Perhaps Alexi Casilla's sudden power surge (he hit one off the baggie) on Tuesday came because he was trying to avoid sheer embarrassment from Zach Parise. The former UND forward took batting practice from Ron Gardenhire before Tuesday's game and nearly blasted one into the football seats. The Pioneer Press estimated that the lefty hit it 340 feet.

In my expert :D opinion, the only question mark there is Oshie. I'd say Parise (US) and Toews (CAN) should easily be on their country's teams on the men's side and the Lamoureaux girls should make the US team on the women's side. Toews may not be a "shoe-in" for Canada, but he should make it.

No doubt Parise is 100% in...no question at all about that.