SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

I'm pretty sure the NCAA record is Don McSween from Michigan State, who played in 180 straight, his last game coming in a loss to UND in the 1987 NCAA title game. Never missed a game in his career.

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats/m_ice...20DI%202009.pdf

According to this Chris porter hold the NCAA record for comsecutive games played at 175, not sure if thats the most games played all-time, but they dont have a record for that in the record book. pretty sure thats the record though

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vande is not ready for the NHL. If he has a brain in his head he will stay for senior year and get a degree so you have something to fall back on when your 35 and hockey is done. He will play in the AHL for at least a couple of years. Many of these players don't understand that when you get to the NHL it's a whole new game, now you play an international game against the best Canadians, Swedes, Czechs, Fins, and Russians. He's good on faceoffs, but that is against many second rate players, try facing off against Henrik Zetterburg--good luck. With the exception of a few blue chip players like Jon Toews and Zach Parise, the rest of these guys should be staying four years and getting degrees so when they're older and hockey is done they have something to fall back on. A great example this year would Chorney.

A brain? A brain might tell a guy that the money is right, the opportunity is right, and the organization is right, and that the schooling can be finished during the summer term on a campus with some of the very best hockey training facilities can be found. Facilities that, I'm guessing, are made available to alumni players as needed.

A brain? A brain might tell a guy that the money is right, the opportunity is right, and the organization is right, and that the schooling can be finished during the summer term on a campus with some of the very best hockey training facilities can be found. Facilities that, I'm guessing, are made available to alumni players as needed.

Well we can agree to disagree. I've watched to much NHL hockey and I just don't think he would be ready for it and if I was him I would stay and develop and get a degree at the same time. I think that the value that that education provides a player is better than the year they play in the AHL, but that's just my opinion. Who knows, I could be wrong and maybe he will step right into Edmonton next year (a team that I will admit that I don't watch as much).

The more I watch Vandy, especially the last month or so, the more convinced I am that this is his swan song as a Sioux skater. He just has all the physical tools and gifts. The Oilers, I'd guess, will pull him for camp next fall and get him on the fast track. He's quietly become a pretty dominant force.

The more I watch Vandy, especially the last month or so, the more convinced I am that this is his swan song as a Sioux skater. He just has all the physical tools and gifts. The Oilers, I'd guess, will pull him for camp next fall and get him on the fast track. He's quietly become a pretty dominant force.

Agreed.

I would be surprised to see him back with the Sioux next season.

Although saying that, he might be our only early departure this year...

I think VV has made a progression like other juniors, which include Greene, Stafford, and Zajac. VV, for his position, can dominate short spurts of college games and players of that caliber can compete at the next level. Be it next year or three, those guys get a shot in the NHL. His first or second shift on Saturday, he won a battle on the wall, walked the puck around the right dot, and got a clean shot down the slot. He was involved in many scoring chances around the net which plays into the next level. VV will have to continue this progression to be a factor in the NHL. The bonus is UND's style of play gives him a head start as almost all former Sioux forwards in the NHL are very good at winning wall battles which is a key to playing in the league. i.e. Parise/Oshie/Toews/Zajac/Blake etc..

Well we can agree to disagree. I've watched to much NHL hockey and I just don't think he would be ready for it and if I was him I would stay and develop and get a degree at the same time. I think that the value that that education provides a player is better than the year they play in the AHL, but that's just my opinion. Who knows, I could be wrong and maybe he will step right into Edmonton next year (a team that I will admit that I don't watch as much).

If VV is only a year away from the NHL it might suit him better to develop that year in the AHL rather than the WCHA. Now, if he's more than a year away it might make more sense for him to stay in school...

i would love to see vandy back wearing a letter as a senior, but the chances of that are slim i think. the oilers were after him hard last offseason, and no doubt will be this year also. the oilers need a big, physical center, and that is exactly what vandy is. he may not step right in at the nhl level, but that doesn't mean the oilers won't offer him big money to see what they have.

It's so unexpected whats going to happen between now and the 2010 season that one would be almost impossible but the depth chart for next year should look like... Two things I'm taking for assumptions..Vandevelde is gone and Forney is returning that leaves the team with two seniors.

Forwards(14)

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brad Malone

Brent Davidson

Mario Lamoureux

Jason Gregoire

Brett Hextall

David Toews

Brett Bruneteau

Danny Kristo

Mike Cichy

Corban Knight (Assuming Vandevelde leaves)

Defensemen (7)

Chay Genoway

Jake Marto

Derrick LaPoint

Corey Fienhage

Ben Blood

Joe Gleason

Andrew Macwilliam

Goalies(3)

Eidsness

Dell

Harrington

I'll say it again - Knight will not come before Mattson.

It's not the only barometer but Mattson was ranked 55 midterm by NHL CSS - Knight is not ranked at all (Dylan Olsen was the only AJHL player ranked). If Knight's stock rises/Mattson's falls and they get drafted in a similar spot, things could change.

Last year, when we had 3 D available to come, Feinhage was drafted 3+ rounds higher than McWilliam or Gleason. Fienhage came - Gleason and McWilliam played jr's.

NHLCSS is not perfect - far from it - but it does give you a sense of where the "hockey world" is thinking about a players value.

I would hope Vandy stays for his Sr. year and both play Jr. next year - that would be ideal.

I have no clue if Mattson is coming next year or the year after, but let's not forget that media outlets often don't have any more information on when a player is actually coming on campus than most of us. Often they are going off of "conventional wisdom" or the last known best information.

Again, I'm not saying he's not coming next year nor am I saying that he should or shouldn't. I'm just saying I'm not going to take this article's statement of fact as the last word.

I have no clue if Mattson is coming next year or the year after, but let's not forget that media outlets often don't have any more information on when a player is actually coming on campus than most of us. Often they are going off of "conventional wisdom" or the last known best information.

Again, I'm not saying he's not coming next year nor am I saying that he should or shouldn't. I'm just saying I'm not going to take this article's statement of fact as the last word.

Agreed! Until I see it on a Sioux press release you have to take these articles with a grain of salt.