SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

Dell, Knight and Rowney all named to AJHL All-League Teams. Knight also named to All-Rookie Team.

Spoke to some AJHL observers last weekend (not Camrose Kodiak fans) who said they thought MacWilliam was "robbed" when it came to league MVP and best D-man award as "he has carried the Kodiaks on his back all season". Co-MVPs (one of whom also won D-man award) played on teams that won North and South regular season titles while MacWilliam's team finished 5th out of 8. Age old question of whether MVP is truly the player who is most valuable to his team. Kodiaks dominated AJHL last year with Colborne (now at DU) and Connolly (UMD) leading the way - neither of whom received MVP or other individual awards at end of season.

Hard to believe though that MacWilliam left off All-League team at end of season when he was only D-man voted unanimously by AJHL coaches to South All Star team several weeks ago, captained Team Canada West at World Junior A Tournament and named to Tournament All Star Team (with Cichy).

All 5 ND recruits in action last night. Dell and Calgary Canucks get first win in series over MacWilliam and Camrose. Canucks outshot 47-20 but Dell stands tall in net. Game 4 of best of 5 tonight.

Knight and Rodwell and Okotoks mates beat Canmore 6-5 to sweep series. Knight with 1G and 1A and Rodwell with 1A.

Rowney and Grande Prairie beat Lloydminster 4-3 to win series 3 to 1. Rowney has 1G and 1A.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Mattson, who finished seventh in the state in 2007-08 with 69 points (30 goals) in 25 games, will attend the University of North Dakota next fall."

Apparently that answers everyones question.

Although I can't wait to see Mattson tearing it up hear at UND, wouldn't we rather have Knight here since he's already proven himself in Juniors and has that experience behind him? But I'm sure the clock is ticking with Mattson, I can't imagine he'll be a 3-4 year player here at UND.

Although I can't wait to see Mattson tearing it up hear at UND, wouldn't we rather have Knight here since he's already proven himself in Juniors and has that experience behind him? But I'm sure the clock is ticking with Mattson, I can't imagine he'll be a 3-4 year player here at UND.

Isn't Mattson considered a Blue Chipper? And wouldn't his time be limited at UND?

I think UND would want to get him in as soon as possible.

Spoke to some AJHL observers last weekend (not Camrose Kodiak fans) who said they thought MacWilliam was "robbed" when it came to league MVP and best D-man award as "he has carried the Kodiaks on his back all season". Co-MVPs (one of whom also won D-man award) played on teams that won North and South regular season titles while MacWilliam's team finished 5th out of 8. Age old question of whether MVP is truly the player who is most valuable to his team. Kodiaks dominated AJHL last year with Colborne (now at DU) and Connolly (UMD) leading the way - neither of whom received MVP or other individual awards at end of season.

Hard to believe though that MacWilliam left off All-League team at end of season when he was only D-man voted unanimously by AJHL coaches to South All Star team several weeks ago, captained Team Canada West at World Junior A Tournament and named to Tournament All Star Team (with Cichy).

All 5 ND recruits in action last night. Dell and Calgary Canucks get first win in series over MacWilliam and Camrose. Canucks outshot 47-20 but Dell stands tall in net. Game 4 of best of 5 tonight.

Knight and Rodwell and Okotoks mates beat Canmore 6-5 to sweep series. Knight with 1G and 1A and Rodwell with 1A.

Rowney and Grande Prairie beat Lloydminster 4-3 to win series 3 to 1. Rowney has 1G and 1A.

Thanks so much for the info and updates. Always like reading your posts.

Isn't Mattson considered a Blue Chipper? And wouldn't his time be limited at UND?

I think UND would want to get him in as soon as possible.

"Mattson was ranked No. 57 among North American skaters in Central Scouting's midterm rankings, and No. 6 among high-school players." http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsprint.htm?id=411913

Does that mean he's considered a Blue Chip? Any thoughts on where he'll end up being drafted? He's definately impressive in the youtube videos I've seen of him :lol: If its in the first three rounds, I'd like him to end up with us next year, he won't last till he's a junior or senior thats for sure.

"Mattson was ranked No. 57 among North American skaters in Central Scouting's midterm rankings, and No. 6 among high-school players." http://www.nhl.com/ice/newsprint.htm?id=411913

Does that mean he's considered a Blue Chip? Any thoughts on where he'll end up being drafted? He's definately impressive in the youtube videos I've seen of him :lol: If its in the first three rounds, I'd like him to end up with us next year, he won't last till he's a junior or senior thats for sure.

i would say 2nd or early 3rd rounder at latest

i wouldnt list that as blue chipper - i would reserve that term for parise,toews,stafford,zajac as being locks as high 1st round picks

now that doesnt mean he wont be as productive as those players for the sioux or in the nhl as mattson has sick skills but personally i only use blue chip on a select number of players but thats just me

mattson, kristo and cichy are gona be big time scorers in the wcha - also knight and rowney i am very excited to see, we have a nice crop of forwards coming in

also its way early to predict if he will be a 2,3 or 4 year player. you never know. tj was a late 1st rounder and ended up playing 3 years when he could have just played 2. toews we were lucky he came in early or he would have been a 1 and doner. lee stayed 2 and left being a high 1st rounder along with zajac and stafford stayed 3 years after being the #13 overall pick. it all depends on how the player is developing and how their respective nhl team sees them in their nhl/ahl system at that specific momemt in time.

I know Oshie went 24th overall to St.Louis in 2005 but I also know that was kind of a surprise to everyone at the time. Was he ranked much lower than 24 before the draft? Does anyone see that happening with Mattson? Could he sneak into the first round still only being ranked 57?

I don't see why not, it will be up to the teams that are drafting and what their needs are.

I know Oshie went 24th overall to St.Louis in 2005 but I also know that was kind of a surprise to everyone at the time. Was he ranked much lower than 24 before the draft? Does anyone see that happening with Mattson? Could he sneak into the first round still only being ranked 57?

he very well could. all it takes is 1 team to love a player and do it and you see it every year in the nhl draft. wouldnt suprise me one bit. i will guess and say he will be a 2nd rounder but if there is 1 team in love with his skills he could be a late 1st rounder. also i think those rankings were for north american skaters, not euros as well. i may be wrong on that though. som mock drafts ive seen has mattson a late 2nd or early 3rd.

All I could find was that TJ was ranked 109th for the midterm rankings among North American skaters.

Off Topic but I found an interview with Kristo and the three people he would choose to have dinner with are Tiger Woods, Jordan Schroeder and TJ Oshie. Kind interesting.

EDIT: 43rd in final North American skater rankings INCH Archives

Thanks so much for the info and updates. Always like reading your posts.

Aaron's Dell's Calgary Canucks lost to Andrew MacWilliam's Camrose Kodiaks 3-2 last night and lost the play-off series 3 games to 1. Canucks were down 2-0 at start of third period when MacWilliam got a 5 minute major and game misconduct for interference. Open-ice shoulder check on Canucks forward who had the puck between his feet. Border line interference but ref seemed to have been more influenced by the force of the hit as the Canuck lost a couple of teeth and some blood. Canucks scored one on the PP and one more with 90 seconds left in the 3rd to tie it. Kodiaks win the game and the series with a tip in of a cross-ice pass with 27 seconds left. Dell had no chance on the winning goal and stopped 26 of 29 shots.

Dell kept Canucks in each of the 4 games, facing an average of 40 shots per game, while his teammates could only muster just over 20 per game against Kodiaks goalie. MacWilliam must have averaged well over 30 minutes of ice time per game (other than last night) and was a defensive force but chipped in with a few assists and a number of timely rushes.

Kodiaks start their second round playoff series on the weekend against either Brooks Bandits or Okotoks Oilers (Knight and Rodwell).

Dell kept Canucks in each of the 4 games, facing an average of 40 shots per game, while his teammates could only muster just over 20 per game against Kodiaks goalie.

Great update. Sounds like UND is going to have a two headed monster in net.

Open-ice shoulder check on Canucks forward who had the puck between his feet. Border line interference but ref seemed to have been more influenced by the force of the hit as the Canuck lost a couple of teeth and some blood.

Goldy Gopher, meet Andrew MacWilliam. Andrew, Goldy.

Forbort Leads Duluth East to State You need a tribune account to read the article but it talks about Forbort being happy with his decision to stay instead of goto Ann Arbor and some other stuff. He had the first goal of the game and added two assists.

Derek Forbort proved to everyone watching Thursday night why he was chosen to play for the U.S. under-17 National Development Team.

And the Duluth East junior defenseman proved to himself why he chose not to go to the team

FOUR OF FIVE SIOUX RECRUITS FROM AJHL STILL IN THE PLAYOFFS

Only Aaron Dell's team is no longer in the hunt for the AJHL Championship. Carter Rowney and the Grande Prairie Storm kick-off their best of seven North Division Semi-Final tonight at home against the Sherwood Park Crusaders. Storm also have 3 more NCAA commits (Fritz - Ohio State; Raubenheimer - Nebraska Omaha; Robinson -Quinnipiac) in the line-up while Crusaders have 5 (Kunyk and Yaremchuk - Alaska Fairbanks; Kleebaum - Princeton; Rollheiser - Quinnipiac; Way - Alabama Huntsville).

Corban Knight and Derek Rodwell lead the Okotoks Oilers against Olds Grizzlies in South Division semi-final starting tomorrow in Okotoks. Oilers have 6 more NCAA commits (Hudkins - Yale; Daigle and Cahill - Alaska Fairbanks; Craig -Cornell; Matthews - Niagara; Sproule - Alaska Anchorage). Olds has Wade Bergman (UMD recruit), Matt Tinordi (RPI) and Brance Orban (Bemidji).

Captain Andrew MacWilliam and his Camrose Kodiaks start the other South Division semi-final against league leaders Brooks Bandits in Brooks on Sunday. Kodiaks also have Dylan Olsen (UMD recruit) and Shawn Ostrow (Denver recruit) on their roster. Brooks has leading scorer and league Co-MVP Jarret Granberg (Alaska Fairbanks).

Photos of the ND recruits in action can be found on the Grande Prairie and Camrose websites (links below). Rowney wears #17 for GP while MacWilliam wears #2 and the "C" for Camrose. Oilers website link is below too but no photos could be found.

Shortcut to: http://www.camrosekodiaks.com/

Shortcut to: http://www.camrosekodiaks.com/2008season/w...yoff-03-Canucks

Shortcut to: http://www.gpstorm.com/association.aspx?p=...yview&id=39

Shortcut to: http://www.okotoksoilers.com/index.cfm?page=currentnews

I'm going to the Fargo Force game today against Des Moines, who I think has some Sioux recruits... Maybe I'll let ya know how they do...

des moines has 4 sioux recruits

bruneteau

white

gleason

fink