(7) Anoka (8-17-1) at Elk River/Zimmerman (15-9-1), 7:30 PM | Elk River Arena

(6) Cloquet/E/C (5-18-2) at Grand Rapids (11-10-4), 7:30 PM | IRA Civic Center

danny mattson and holy angels play thursday in quarterfinals

2AA bracket

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before he was initially hurt he was considered a possible 1st round draft pick. Most of the ripping had to do with 1 injury after the next, fair or unfair...

Is that classy? I mean, can a player decide that he's going to get injured? I mean, skateboarders and extreme sports enthusiasts can (or perhaps they're too stupid to not see that doing whatever it is they plan to do isn't conducive to a long life), but not hockey players.

Tough breaks happen, but ripping him for it is simply...in my opinion... unacceptable.

Is that classy? I mean, can a player decide that he's going to get injured? I mean, skateboarders and extreme sports enthusiasts can (or perhaps they're too stupid to not see that doing whatever it is they plan to do isn't conducive to a long life), but not hockey players.

Tough breaks happen, but ripping him for it is simply...in my opinion... unacceptable.

I agree, unfair... My issue was always that he didn't go to the USHL as a Soph. He was not physically able to contribute, I would dove to see him back.

The only one who's a threat to leave early is Vandevelde. I believe we had room for one more forward prior to Knight committing, and there are a couple who could wait to come until 2010, but then with only 3 juniors this year the 2010 class would appear to be rather small. Frats and Gregoire are not going to leave after this year, unless they want to spend a few years in the AHL. They're not high enough of the teams that drafted them's lists... so Vandy's the only threat to leave early in my opinion, and I really don't think he will... but you really never know.

I thought Vandy and these radio hosts had some interesting comments on his plans for next year: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/clips/seaso...Velde_Feb24.mp3

What was said?

(sorry, I'm at work and can't listen to the link)

Thanks! :D

Basically he said he's willing to explore his options, but wasn't sure. He'd like to see what kind of room is available in the AHL/NHL and just see how he feels in the off-season. One of the interviewers was pretty sure he was leaving in a post-interview discussion. The other guy wasn't so sure. Chris played it cool, but I'd say it's 60-40 he's gone next year.

Basically he said he's willing to explore his options, but wasn't sure. He'd like to see what kind of room is available in the AHL/NHL and just see how he feels in the off-season. One of the interviewers was pretty sure he was leaving in a post-interview discussion. The other guy wasn't so sure. Chris played it cool, but I'd say it's 60-40 he's gone next year.

I think he is gone. You never know if he doesn't get the offer he wants maybe he stays.

I think he is gone. You never know if he doesn't get the offer he wants maybe he stays.

After last year's season, I said there might be a slim chance that VV leaves during the summer. Everyone basically said I was dumb and that he'll be a four year player for sure. Now it doesn't seem that way.

After last year's season, I said there might be a slim chance that VV leaves during the summer. Everyone basically said I was dumb and that he'll be a four year player for sure. Now it doesn't seem that way.

VandeVelde has been playing like a man against boys out there. We'll miss him when he does leave and I can see how it could be after this season.

VandeVelde has been playing like a man against boys out there. We'll miss him when he does leave and I can see how it could be after this season.

Earlier this season I would have said that I expect him back for his SR season, but with how he has elevated his play during our recent run, I could also see him departing after this year.

Earlier this season I would have said that I expect him back for his SR season, but with how he has elevated his play during our recent run, I could also see him departing after this year.

Well, the biggest thing is, and the guys on the Pipeline radio interview touched on it, is VV's size and strength. He's developed nicely here at UND and has the physical capabilities to be succesful at the next level. He's been awesome offensively the second half of the year despite never rising to SOME people's expectations. It'd be nice to see him back, but if he leaves, I don't think he'd struggle all that much in the AHL.

Well, the biggest thing is, and the guys on the Pipeline radio interview touched on it, is VV's size and strength. He's developed nicely here at UND and has the physical capabilities to be succesful at the next level. He's been awesome offensively the second half of the year despite never rising to SOME people's expectations. It'd be nice to see him back, but if he leaves, I don't think he'd struggle all that much in the AHL.

The special think about Vandy is that it is rare to find someone that is that good at faceoffs. This will certainly help his value.

The special think about Vandy is that it is rare to find someone that is that good at faceoffs. This will certainly help his value.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. That totally slipped my mind about him as well. When you need that big faceoff win, especially on special teams, no one is better than Vande Velde.

Yeah, you are absolutely right. That totally slipped my mind about him as well. When you need that big faceoff win, especially on special teams, no one is better than Vande Velde.

That is fine if he leaves but if Porter can't make the big show I do not think Vandy will either.

That is fine if he leaves but if Porter can't make the big show I do not think Vandy will either.

that is yet to be determined for porter. he was the last or last few to get cut this season with the blues and a different situation being pretty kuch a free agent after getting drafted very late with the hawks then signing with blues and he has been up 3 times this season in the nhl for stints. also vandy is a 4th rounder and edmonton will see what happens with that and maybe they can find a nice 3rd line center thayt can win draws ect.....

either way it doesnt mean he will go right to the nhl as rarely players do unless you are toews,oshie,kessel ect.....they may want to get them in their system and see what they have at a very higher level in the AHL first

personally i think vande has good upside to be in the nhl in 2 years if he left this season and played a year or little more in the ahl.

regular season over in HS in minny

forbort in section quarterfinals starting tonight fr duluth east

7AA bracket

Section 7AA

Quarterfinals:

(9) Princeton/Milaca (11-14-1) at Duluth East (21-3-1), 7:30 PM | DECC Arena

(5) Forest Lake (8-15-2) at Andover (11-12-2), 7:30 PM | Andover Arena

(7) Anoka (8-17-1) at Elk River/Zimmerman (15-9-1), 7:30 PM | Elk River Arena

(6) Cloquet/E/C (5-18-2) at Grand Rapids (11-10-4), 7:30 PM | IRA Civic Center

danny mattson and holy angels play thursday in quarterfinals

2AA bracket

that is yet to be determined for porter. he was the last or last few to get cut this season with the blues and a different situation being pretty kuch a free agent after getting drafted very late with the hawks then signing with blues and he has been up 3 times this season in the nhl for stints. also vandy is a 4th rounder and edmonton will see what happens with that and maybe they can find a nice 3rd line center thayt can win draws ect.....

either way it doesnt mean he will go right to the nhl as rarely players do unless you are toews,oshie,kessel ect.....they may want to get them in their system and see what they have at a very higher level in the AHL first

personally i think vande has good upside to be in the nhl in 2 years if he left this season and played a year or little more in the ahl.

Could be and I hope he makes it but I see Porter and Vandy as similar players. Porter is booged down in Peoria and I see the same thing for Vandy in Springfield. Kinda like Irmen in Houston. These guys are close but not quite NHL caliber players.

Could be and I hope he makes it but I see Porter and Vandy as similar players. Porter is booged down in Peoria and I see the same thing for Vandy in Springfield. Kinda like Irmen in Houston. These guys are close but not quite NHL caliber players.

I see Vandy as bigger, and more physical than Irmen. I also think Vandy is a little more skilled than Porter. His ability to play center and win face-offs is significant. I do think he will play in the NHL. I wouldn't write Porter off yet either..

I see Vandy as bigger, and more physical than Irmen. I also think Vandy is a little more skilled than Porter. His ability to play center and win face-offs is significant. I do think he will play in the NHL. I wouldn't write Porter off yet either..

In no way am I writing off Porter but the longer you are in the AHL as a lower end prospect the harder it is to make it as a regular in the NHL. I hope Vandy plays in the NHL but I am just saying he will have to make a major impact in Springfield to get the call. I am sure there are plenty of guys there chomping at the bit so he will have to get in line in the pecking order.

In no way am I writing off Porter but the longer you are in the AHL as a lower end prospect the harder it is to make it as a regular in the NHL. I hope Vandy plays in the NHL but I am just saying he will have to make a major impact in Springfield to get the call. I am sure there are plenty of guys there chomping at the bit so he will have to get in line in the pecking order.

Vande is not ready for the NHL. If he has a brain in his head he will stay for senior year and get a degree so you have something to fall back on when your 35 and hockey is done. He will play in the AHL for at least a couple of years. Many of these players don't understand that when you get to the NHL it's a whole new game, now you play an international game against the best Canadians, Swedes, Czechs, Fins, and Russians. He's good on faceoffs, but that is against many second rate players, try facing off against Henrik Zetterburg--good luck. With the exception of a few blue chip players like Jon Toews and Zach Parise, the rest of these guys should be staying four years and getting degrees so when they're older and hockey is done they have something to fall back on. A great example this year would Chorney.

Vande is not ready for the NHL. If he has a brain in his head he will stay for senior year and get a degree so you have something to fall back on when your 35 and hockey is done.

I agree with this, and with the previous post. I was just expressing an opinion that VandeVelde has certain qualities that might make him a better NHL prospect than Irmen or Porter. I could be wrong. Even I don't think that he would go directly to the NHL, or that he is a top-rank prospect. I too think that he would be best served by getting his degree. That said, if he gets an offer, I think he will be gone.