SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

yeah i think having 2 extra forwards is the right move as well along with just 1 extra d man like always. i think vv will be leaving, just a hunch but then mattson or knight can come in. good point on the roster size

So what happens if Genoway goes early? Is Forbort ready or who would be a possible defensemen to bring in?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops I thought Forbort was a senior.

Based upon Heisneberg's site: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pq-...RsjRw&gid=1 It looks like we need to recruit another defenseman even if Genoway doesn't go early.

Next year we will have:

Genoway

Marto

LaPoint-(assuming everything goes according to plan)

Blood

Finehage-SP?

Throw in Gleason and MacWilliam and you have 7, Including Miller they carry 8 this year and has seemed to work out quite well especially with injuries to Finley and LaPoint.Not saying they will but I could see them try and pick up one more D-man maybe not for this year but especially for the 2010 season. I just dont think it would hurt them, I mean unless they are superstar status right away they are probably gonna have to sit out games anyways.

Jones-Macwilliam

Finley-Gleason

We'll have 7 D next year we don't need another one.

I actually meant that we need to recruit another D for the future not necessarily for next year. Unless Forbort comes and plays right out of high school after next year when Genoway graduates there are no defensemen in the pipeline. Typically you like to see a D man play a year in the USHL once they graduate from high school like Gleason is to get stronger and to accilmate to the speed of the game.

Next year we will have:

Genoway

Marto

LaPoint-(assuming everything goes according to plan)

Blood

Finehage-SP?

Throw in Gleason and MacWilliam and you have 7, Including Miller they carry 8 this year and has seemed to work out quite well especially with injuries to Finley and LaPoint.Not saying they will but I could see them try and pick up one more D-man maybe not for this year but especially for the 2010 season. I just dont think it would hurt them, I mean unless they are superstar status right away they are probably gonna have to sit out games anyways.

They will not carry 8 D on the roster.

They don't need any more D in the short term. As mentioned previously, unless Marto or Lapoint go pro, in 2010 they will have Nick Mattson come in to replace Genoway. They will also have Forbert, who could get drafted as high as Mattson ready to come.

They will not bring in an 8th D for 2009.

I actually meant that we need to recruit another D for the future not necessarily for next year. Unless Forbort comes and plays right out of high school after next year when Genoway graduates there are no defensemen in the pipeline. Typically you like to see a D man play a year in the USHL once they graduate from high school like Gleason is to get stronger and to accilmate to the speed of the game.

Forbort will not fit the 'typical' situation. I don't know where he plans to play next season, but I don't think his arrival at UND will be delayed beyond the fall of 2010. He may well be a first-round draft pick, and some observers have compared him favorably to Erik Johnson at the same age.

Forbort will not fit the 'typical' situation. I don't know where he plans to play next season, but I don't think his arrival at UND will be delayed beyond the fall of 2010. He may well be a first-round draft pick, and some observers have compared him favorably to Erik Johnson at the same age.

If Forbort and Mattson come in 2010 we will have 8 D. Thats's too many and I'm sure both Mattson and Forbort will expect to play regularly.

If Forbort and Mattson come in 2010 we will have 8 D. Thats's too many and I'm sure both Mattson and Forbort will expect to play regularly.

lost of time til that season stats and things can happen. the coaches know exactly what they are doing with every recruit and all possible situations

So what happens if Genoway goes early? Is Forbort ready or who would be a possible defensemen to bring in?

you then roll with 6 d men and have a foyt type come in as a 7th man that knows his role.

In a crunch, I think Davidson could play a solid defensive D.

Who would've thought that Brad Miller could do the job that he has done at D? Not me. He would have been one of the last guys I would have thought about to make the move. Thankfully, the coaching staff knows a lot more than me..

I think Miller deserves real consideration as team MVP this year for what he's accomplished. He stabilized a D-corp that could've been pretty shell-shocked after Finley's concussion, adding a calming, senior presence. He's also been a stud offensively; he picked a great time to have his best offensive year. He will be missed in very quiet, but very important ways when he graduates.

I think Miller deserves real consideration as team MVP this year for what he's accomplished. He stabilized a D-corp that could've been pretty shell-shocked after Finley's concussion, adding a calming, senior presence. He's also been a stud offensively; he picked a great time to have his best offensive year. He will be missed in very quiet, but very important ways when he graduates.

The Brad Miller Time segment alone puts him in the top 3 for MVP. :(

Duncan is the MVP, hands down.

Anyone want to throw together some depth charts for 09 and 10 season?

It's so unexpected whats going to happen between now and the 2010 season that one would be almost impossible but the depth chart for next year should look like... Two things I'm taking for assumptions..Vandevelde is gone and Forney is returning that leaves the team with two seniors.

Forwards(14)

Darcy Zajac

Michael Forney

Evan Trupp

Matt Frattin

Brad Malone

Brent Davidson

Mario Lamoureux

Jason Gregoire

Brett Hextall

David Toews

Brett Bruneteau

Danny Kristo

Mike Cichy

Corban Knight (Assuming Vandevelde leaves)

Defensemen (7)

Chay Genoway

Jake Marto

Derrick LaPoint

Corey Fienhage

Ben Blood

Joe Gleason

Andrew Macwilliam

Goalies(3)

Eidsness

Dell

Harrington

In case you didn't know or anyone else didn't, Duncan broke Cary Eades record as the school's all time leading scorer, I think he deserves MVP hands down.

In case you didn't know or anyone else didn't, Duncan broke Cary Eades record as the school's all time leading scorer, I think he deserves MVP hands down.

He passed Eades, but is a long way from the top of the list. Still the MVP in my eyes.

I believe that is a national record not just a WCHA one.

I don't know either way on that one. This article talks about it being a WCHA record, but it might be a NCAA record. Anyone know for sure?

North Dakota captain Chris Porter will be playing in his 175th consecutive game (a WCHA record) when he takes his position at right wing on the Fighting Sioux's second line in St. Louis on Thursday. His collegiate career might already be over had he not stuffed a wraparound shot between the skates of Minnesota goalie Jeff Frazee last weekend in overtime of the NCAA West Regional final in Denver.

Meanwhile, Duncan is at:

Fr - 46 gp

So - 43 gp

Jr - 43 gp

Sr - 36 gp (so far)

168 gp total for him so far

Assuming no injuries, the regular season will have him at 170 gp. Then let's say a 2-game WCHA 1st round playoff (could be 3 games) and 2 games at the F5 (if they make it). That's 174 or 175 gp right there. He can certainly break Porter's record if the Sioux win a game or two in the NCAA tourney...

I'm pretty sure the NCAA record is Don McSween from Michigan State, who played in 180 straight, his last game coming in a loss to UND in the 1987 NCAA title game. Never missed a game in his career.

Looks like nodakvindy answered the question. :(

He passed Eades, but is a long way from the top of the list. Still the MVP in my eyes.

It's still a great record, being that it is in the top 16, definetly a long ways from Johnson. Interesting with Johnson, he had more assists (198) than every player had points in UND history exept for five.