SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX Recruits - 2008-09 Updates, Monitoring Their Junior League Play

AZSIOUX

AJHL Playoff Update

Carter Rowney has 1G and 1A as Grande Prairie beats Brooks 3-2 in Game 1 of AJHL Semi-Final.

Camrose Kodiaks hand out team awards - Andrew MacWilliam named Co-MVP and Co-Top Defenceman

Calgary Canucks (Aaron Dell) hold awards banquet on April 11. Dell should be named their MVP.

Don't know whats happening with Okotoks (Knight and Rodwell).

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes he is and i think more than likely he will be gone as we have disucced on this board before. chay is still a risk as hes on top of his game and will get some offers from ahl/nhl. i say chay stays and vv leaves. go sioux!!!!!!!!!!!

Hak said somewhere that there are about 3 guys that are risks to leave. But he doesn't think we'll lose anyone... that said, I'm going to wait until after our season is over to worry about it. I hope Vandy comes back, but I don't know if he will.

Hak said somewhere that there are about 3 guys that are risks to leave. But he doesn't think we'll lose anyone... that said, I'm going to wait until after our season is over to worry about it. I hope Vandy comes back, but I don't know if he will.

If it's 3....then u gotta look at Frats or Gregoire as the 3rd. I don't think anyone else would fit the bill as the 3rd. Unless Toews was at risk of transferring or something b/c of his lack of playing time?

If it's 3....then u gotta look at Frats or Gregoire as the 3rd. I don't think anyone else would fit the bill as the 3rd. Unless Toews was at risk of transferring or something b/c of his lack of playing time?

toews wont be leaving...i bet we only lose vv

VV may leave but he should listen to Jason Blake and reconsider. College is the best time of your life! VV is not an NHL player in my opinion and will be a careerAHLer... If Porter cannot make it as a regular how will VV??

I'm sure that's the way it will go, as mentioned many times before. I was merely speculating based on what Hak said knowing that VV and Genoway are the 2 only obvious people he could have been talking about.

VV may leave but he should listen to Jason Blake and reconsider. College is the best time of your life! VV is not an NHL player in my opinion and will be a careerAHLer... If Porter cannot make it as a regular how will VV??

of course college is the best time in many players/peoples lives, no doubt

different situation and who says in a year or 2 porter doesnt play on a 3rd or 4th line every night? we have no clue what st louis thinks about him overall. porter was a late round pick who became a free agent as he knew the blackhawks didnt have room for him so he went where he would have a nice shot. its only his 2nd year this year in ahl and has played a few games. most all players not drafted first couple rounds if that wont see the nhl until a year or 2 after in the ahl. VV is a 4th rd pick and edmonton has value in him as a bigger center who can flat out win draws and play very solid all around. the 2 players are way different in many ways. if edmonton feels they want him in their system to see what they have in VV then he will go as the ahl is a hell of a step up from the wcha and mid round picks like him are what the ahl is full of. some make it and some dont but edmonton may want to find that out sooner than later

I'm a big Porter fan but that comparison is hugely flawed, VV doesn't have Porter's speed but he is light years better on the puck and has NHL quality quickness with his hands. The only similarity I see is they both have NHL size. The ceiling for VV is probably 2nd line Center while Porters only shot is a checking line Wing, thats a HUGE difference in potential.

I really hope VV stays but I have no doubt Edmonton will be trying to get him to sign this summer.

For anyone that lives in the Twin Cities area and hasn't seen him play yet, you can watch Derek Forbort this weekend in the advanced select 17's at the Plymouth Ice Arena. They take the best 54 players from this weekend and invite them back on April 17-19 for the last tryout before the national selects. Forbort's section 7 team will play Friday night so if anyone wants to watch him it won't interfere with our game. Also note that the national select 17 festival in July isn't in Saint Cloud anymore and was moved out to New York, so this weekend and a few weeks from now would be a good time to see some of these players. Here are the rosters and schedule,

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/2009%2...m%20Rosters.pdf

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/assorted/bo...v17Festival.pdf

Also, if you want to watch prospective players the advanced 16's are there this weekend as well, here is the rosters and schedule for that,

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/BoysAdvanced16Roster.pdf

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/assorted/Ad...s16Festival.pdf

For anyone that lives in the Twin Cities area and hasn't seen him play yet, you can watch Derek Forbort this weekend in the advanced select 17's at the Plymouth Ice Arena. They take the best 54 players from this weekend and invite them back on April 17-19 for the last tryout before the national selects. Forbort's section 7 team will play Friday night so if anyone wants to watch him it won't interfere with our game. Also note that the national select 17 festival in July isn't in Saint Cloud anymore and was moved out to New York, so this weekend and a few weeks from now would be a good time to see some of these players. Here are the rosters and schedule,

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/2009%2...m%20Rosters.pdf

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/assorted/bo...v17Festival.pdf

Also, if you want to watch prospective players the advanced 16's are there this weekend as well, here is the rosters and schedule for that,

http://minnesotahockey.org/assorted/BoysAdvanced16Roster.pdf

http://www.minnesotahockey.org/assorted/Ad...s16Festival.pdf

17's have been in Rochester for awhile - Cary Eades was a coach for one of the final 17 teams - Kristo verbaled soon after. I wonder how that happened?

I guess we can start following the kids with a little more enthusiasm.

Danny Kristo with I think his first hat trick tonight. 3-1-4. Congratulations.

Also, although they lost again, Des Moines received goals from Bruneteau, Gleason and Fink tonight. Mike Fink has gradually been finding his way to the scoresheet in the last month.

ANDREW MACWILLIAM - D - Camrose - AJHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Toronto, 7th Rd, #188 --- SEASON OVER

NICK MATTSON - D - NTDP U18 --- WILL PLAY IN THE U-18 TOURNEY IN FARGO

DANNY MATTSON - F - Holy Angels - HS --- SEASON OVER

MIKE FINK - F - Waterloo - USHL --- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, NO PLAYOFFS

JOE GLEASON - D - Des Moines - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Chicago, 7th Rd, #192--- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, NO PLAYOFFS

BRETT BRUNETEAU - F - Des Moines - USHL - 2007 Draft pick of Washington, 4th Rd, #108--- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, NO PLAYOFFS

MIKE CICHY - F - Indiana - USHL--- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, PLAYOFFS START

DANNY KRISTO - F - Omaha - USHL - 2008 Draft Pick of Montreal, 2nd Rd, #56--- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, PLAYOFFS START

DEREK FORBORT - D - Duluth East - HS --- SEASON OVER

MATT WHITE - F - Des Moines - USHL--- REGULAR SEASON ENDS NEXT WEEKEND, NO PLAYOFFS

MICHAEL PARKS - F - St. Louis Selects - Midget --- SEASON NEARING END; RECENTLY SPLIT WITH SHATTUCK

CORBAN KNIGHT - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL --- SEASON OVER

BRENDAN O'DONNELL - F - Winnipeg Wild - Midget --- WON LEAGUE TITLE, INTER-PROVINCIAL REGIONALS START THIS WEEK

CARTER ROWNEY - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL --- AJHL FINAL SERIES STARTS THIS WEEK

AARON DELL - G- Calgary Canucks - AJHL --- SEASON OVER

DEREK RODWELL - F - Okotoks Oilers - AJHL--- SEASON OVER

I guess we can start following the kids with a little more enthusiasm.

Danny Kristo with I think his first hat trick tonight. 3-1-4. Congratulations.

Also, although they lost again, Des Moines received goals from Bruneteau, Gleason and Fink tonight. Mike Fink has gradually been finding his way to the scoresheet in the last month.

Kristo was always coming to UND

I found Mattson is on the protected list of the Omaha Lancers, when will it be decided if he is there or UND next year?

I also noticed Derek Forbort is on their protected list.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=ppa...cZ6OA&gid=8

Yeah i noticed that too. I guess its between Omaha and UND. It probably just comes down to need on UND's part. We have alot of forwards coming in next year. If VV stays, I can't imagine we'd bring in Mattson. But I sure am excited to watch him play with a sioux sweater on. His time is probably ticking whereas he's going be a 2-3rd rounder most likely. Can't imagine he's going be a 4 yr player. But I also could see us bring in Corban Knight who is ripping it up in Canada, before bringing in a young Mattson.

I don't think Kristo had the size to step in this year. He has speed to spare, but he is quite small and I think this extra year of play at the junior level and his increased international experience will turn out to be a much better plan of action.

I also think the extra year will do him well, but he isn't small by any means. I would say he's around 6' and maybe around 180 lbs. I haven't seen him in about a year but I doubt he's gotten any smaller. He can hit a golf ball while sitting on a chair farther than a lot of people standing up. :D