SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

And how highly is each regarded? (Especially Wade Murphy if Slap Shot has some inside info)

Rayn Gropp is a 16 year old rookie that Mellor said is the highest skilled player on Penticton. http://www.penticton.../169387786.html

Wade Murphy last season had 36 goals 55 assists 91 points ( 2011-2012 Penticton 14-15-29 in 22 games, Victoria 22-40-62 in 38 games).

Sam Mellor before going to UAA with the Trail Smoke Eaters 2009-2010 28-35-63; 2010-2011 33-34-67

Rayn Gropp is a 16 year old rookie that Mellor said is the highest skilled player on Penticton. http://www.penticton.../169387786.html

Wade Murphy last season had 36 goals 55 assists 91 points ( 2011-2012 Penticton 14-15-29 in 22 games, Victoria 22-40-62 in 38 games).

Sam Mellor before going to UAA with the Trail Smoke Eaters 2009-2010 28-35-63; 2010-2011 33-34-67

Looks like some good kids. I know UND has had really good experiences with Penticton recruits in the past.

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF

Uncommitted Penticton Vees forward RT @wmurphy93: Off to North Dakota for a couple #nottired

Looks like he is coming for a visit, I have not heard much about him until recently, but last year he had 91 points in the BCHL so realistically he should put up at least 100+ this year which would put his year on par with Travis Zajac's best year in the BCHL. I'm not saying he is anywhere near that talented because I have never seen him play, I just wanted to put a 100 point season into perspective.

It was never announced why he left UAA. A mystery. I'm guessing he'll transfer somewhere else after this year. He's too old, or pretty close to, for major junior eligibility.

Looks like he is headed to Western Michigan. I'm guessing we will hear something in the next day or two on Murphy.

Schlossman@SchlossmanGF

Uncommitted Penticton Vees forward RT @wmurphy93: Off to North Dakota for a couple #nottired

Looks like he is coming for a visit, I have not heard much about him until recently, but last year he had 91 points in the BCHL so realistically he should put up at least 100+ this year which would put his year on par with Travis Zajac's best year in the BCHL. I'm not saying he is anywhere near that talented because I have never seen him play, I just wanted to put a 100 point season into perspective.

This link has him going to Merrimack as of Jan. 2012 http://www.penticton.../137323498.html

If this is the same person.

This link has him going to Merrimack as of Jan. 2012 http://www.penticton.../137323498.html

If this is the same person.

He decommitted from Merrimack in August

Penticton head coach and general manager Fred Harbinson said, “These situations are never easy, Wade simply felt he rushed into a decision and has decided he wants to reevaluate where he will play college hockey next year.”

If he liked Merrimack he will love UND.

Hammy says that this kid is rumored to be going to UND.

Hearing a rumor that Wade Murphy of Penticton has committed to UND. I'm sure their people will confirm it (if true) in the coming days.

Some Gopher fan suggested that UND is getting these kids to de-committ from a college and then commit to UND.

Some Gopher fan suggested that UND is getting these kids to de-committ from a college and then commit to UND.

Or, just like the article said, he jumped the gun with his commitment and realized, no offense to them, but that he can play at a much better school than Merrimack. He probably committed at the first sign of interest, but then he developed and maybe realized he has a future in hockey so he wanted to go to a school to play hockey rather than using hockey as a way to go to school.

I highly doubt the Sioux continue to recruit a kid when he has already committed. Of course it was a goof fan who suggested it. Enough said. But like the Merrimack coach said,he really didn't decommitt since he was committed in the first place. Good point.
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, because UND is the only college getting kids who decommit from other schools. Northeastern is one school that comes to mind. And Western Michigan gets a lot of transfers from other programs as of late. Yet no one accuses any of those schools of any wrong doings.

That's Gopher paranoia if you ask me.

Yeah, because UND is the only college getting kids who decommit from other schools. Northeastern is one school that comes to mind. And Western Michigan gets a lot of transfers from other programs as of late. Yet no one accuses any of those schools of any wrong doings.

That's Gopher paranoia if you ask me.

Yeah very good point; the reason I doubt that coach Hakstol would recruit committed prospects from other teams is the fact that he has come out in favor of respecting the gentleman's agreement when it comes to recruits.

Yeah very good point; the reason I doubt that coach Hakstol would recruit committed prospects from other teams is the fact that he has come out in favor of respecting the gentleman's agreement when it comes to recruits.

I agree with you that Hak would not do that. Plus he does not have to. It pays for no one to do it. I poach your guy you poach mine. Who wins then?

You mean like having Glenn Sonmor and Lou Nanne drive down to a kids hometown to get him to change his mind? I always pictured those two cruising down the interstate in a pimped out caddy, with the radio cranked, tossing beer cans out the window as they hatch their plan. ;)
  • Upvote 2

Vees' Murphy commits to North Dakota

“I saw the rink, the facilities are unbelievable and the coaching staff is terrific, and the players’ passion is just as great,” Murphy, a member of the RBC Cup-champion Penticton Vees, said over the phone on Wednesday.

“This was the choice from the get-go,” added Murphy, who zeroed in on UND shortly after deciding not to attend Merrimack. He will head to UND next season.