SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Minnesota is the biggest competition for Gersich and Hurley, but i don't see where the gophers have room to bring them in (only one senior on the team this year), and with how many players are committed. I also think the team should have 3 goalies that are able to be starters, like DU this year. I'd like to see more europeans come to UND. I look at it, if the coaches can get players to come from junior "A" teams in europe. It can create a pipeline of talent to UND, if BU and Maine can do it why not UND.

What do we have room for at the moment? I does appear that Minny has had a ton of talented recruits committed. They r like 2 yrs out maybe of needing anymore unless people leave early and what not. Alex Botten maybe one to look at also.Former teammate of Drake Cagguila.

I think Ian going to BC blew everyone's minds. 2 yr player tops if the NHL every starts up again.

Via MN Hockey Hub article

Schools that have shown interest in Connor Hurley: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Minnesota-Duluth, Michigan State, Ohio State, Denver and Nebraska-Omaha.... no UND?

UND is one of the schools Shane Gersich has visted but most feel he will end up at Minnesota because he has a lot of family ties to UM. I believe his father played there and he is the nephew of Neal, Aaron and Paul Broten.

With that said, I certainly won't complain if one or both surprises and picks UND.

I would guess Gersich is a lock to go to the Gophers and from what I hear Hurley is likely choosing between Notre Dame and the Gophers. I don't think we really have a shot at either. I think Ryan Gropp is a kid we will be (and are) hard after but CHL might come into play with him. I think there are quite a few Shattuck kids we may be after as well.

I would guess Gersich is a lock to go to the Gophers and from what I hear Hurley is likely choosing between Notre Dame and the Gophers. I don't think we really have a shot at either. I think Ryan Gropp is a kid we will be (and are) hard after but CHL might come into play with him. I think there are quite a few Shattuck kids we may be after as well.

Regarding Gropp, I believe he is very much wanting to go the collegiate route (for now at least...). I'd think the biggest competition for him is CC, which is where his dad played (not that all kids follow in their father's footsteps though).

BTW, I watched Penticton play Vernon last Friday, and Gropp is the real deal. For a kid that just turned 16, he's not a bit out of place in the BCHL. Lots of upside. Tambo, Murph, and Crisfield all looked good as well. I'm probably most excited about Tambellini, he's going to be very good at UND.

Regarding Gropp, I believe he is very much wanting to go the collegiate route (for now at least...). I'd think the biggest competition for him is CC, which is where his dad played (not that all kids follow in their father's footsteps though).

BTW, I watched Penticton play Vernon last Friday, and Gropp is the real deal. For a kid that just turned 16, he's not a bit out of place in the BCHL. Lots of upside. Tambo, Murph, and Crisfield all looked good as well. I'm probably most excited about Tambellini, he's going to be very good at UND.

I am most excited about Murphy. He seems like a real good player.

I know there were a number of high school seniors last season that have moved on and are playing junior hockey this year as well as some younger players who have moved on to pro hockey that could be talked about but I will just add some guys still in high school. I'm not sure how much interest these guys are getting but here's a list of some of the better area high school players to keep an eye on. Seniors- Chris Forney TRF, Nick Uglem, Tony Uglem, Thomas Carey Moorhead, Matt Serratore Bemidji, Tommy Hajicek EGF, Alex Ziegler, Tanner Okeson Roseau. Juniors- Eddie Eades, Colton Poolman EGF, Kyle Sylvester Warroad, Alex Strand, Zach Yon, Alex Halstengard Roseau, Aaron Herdt Moorhead. Sophomores Dixon Bowen, Tye Ausmus EGF, Goalie Gabe Heifort Bemidji. Other uncommitted top MN high school recruits to watch are Seniors- Zach Lavalle Hill Murray, TJ Moore Benilde, TJ Roo Totino-Grace, Thomas Lindstrom Breck, Max Coatta and Tommy Vannelli Minnetonka. Juniors- Austin Poganski St. Cloud Cathedral, Spencer Naas Blake (last season but can't remember if he transfered this season), Connor Hurley Edina, Tyler Sheehy Burnsville, Avery Peterson Grand Rapids. Sophomores- Shane Gerisch, John Peterson, and Will Garin (Freshman) Holy Family, Jake Wahlin White Bear Lake, Dylan Malmquist Edina, Tom Novak St. Thomas Academy. Anyone who knows of any other players that I didn't put or might have missed on the list feel free to add them or add more about players from the list.

He transferred to Benilde-St Margarets.

The rich get richer...

Thanks, I thought I heard that but couldn't remember if that was the right place or not.

I am most excited about Murphy. He seems like a real good player.

Don't get me wrong, Murphy will be a great get as well. Tambellini just seems to think the game better, is blessed with great size, and is very good defensively. I've seen Murphy play several times this year now and the only knock on him is that he's taken poor penalties late in a couple of close games. That being said, it's a very small sample size and he's definitely a gamer who is ALWAYS around the puck. He should also be really good for UND.

Not sure what happened to the font in my post above...break out the magnifying glasses for that one.

Minnesota is the biggest competition for Gersich and Hurley, but i don't see where the gophers have room to bring them in (only one senior on the team this year), and with how many players are committed.

There will be a mass exodus of players leaving early though. Bjugstad, Haula, and Schimdt are gone after this year. Others may leave as well like Skjei, Budish, Alt, etc.

The only one I see leaving early is Bjugstad

Depends on whether or not they fix the loop hole for college draft choices in the new CBA. If they don't, Condon and Haula are very likely to get signed. Alt and Budish could go either way. Schmidt is a FA that will get some good offers. Either way, I think Minnesota is planning on more than Bjugstad leaving as they are bringing at least 3 forwards and a defenseman in next season.

The only one I see leaving early is Bjugstad

I could see a few players leave if their stock is high, especially if Minnesota won the big one. Doesn't really matter anyway, because Gersich I believe is only a sophomore, and Hurley a junior. Why do you think Gersich is more likely to go to UND than Minnesota. Everything seems to be pointing the other way around. Hopefully the coaches can show how well the NCHC teams are doing, compared to Big Ten teams, but right now Minnesota is doing the best of those Big Ten teams. Some recruits may be swayed by the Big Ten, but I do think the NCHC has a lot to offer, especially the continuation of more old rivalries that have gone on for a long time.

I could see a few players leave if their stock is high, especially if Minnesota won the big one. Doesn't really matter anyway, because Gersich I believe is only a sophomore, and Hurley a junior. Why do you think Gersich is more likely to go to UND than Minnesota. Everything seems to be pointing the other way around. Hopefully the coaches can show how well the NCHC teams are doing, compared to Big Ten teams, but right now Minnesota is doing the best of those Big Ten teams. Some recruits may be swayed by the Big Ten, but I do think the NCHC has a lot to offer, especially the continuation of more old rivalries that have gone on for a long time.

Yeah, it would be hard for Gersich to have any more ties to the Gopher program.

Penticton Vees Troy Stecher (4-16-20) and Ryan Gropp (6-11-17) are still uncommitted, I'd like to see Gropp committ to UND.

Stecher was very noticeable last weekend against Vernon (not always a positive for a defenseman, but in this case, it was a good thing). He was once committed to UNO, but is back on the NCAA market. Also thought he was really good at the WJAC, he would be a very nice addition to the UND d-corps.

U just never know with kids these. Maybe Gersich is thinking UND but just hasn't said anything (wishful thinking) In a nut shell what does the Big Ten really have to offer besides the Gophers Michigan and Wisconsin. Michigan State hit and miss Penn State brand new program but I guess u could throw Ohio State in there as legit team. Ok that's 6 not 10. To fill out the league other schools will be adding teams in the near future making the Big Joke not that powerful of a conference. NCHC by far is way more powerful of a conference. If your a kid looking at great competition about every game u NCHC or u just wanna shine u go Big Joke.

Also, the Hockey Hub recruiting page is "user-submitted", meaning people contact the site about schools they know are recruiting each player, so if no one mentioned UND, it's not going to put it on the site, even if we are recruiting him. There are so many kids out there that commit here that we have no clue we were showing interest in. Just something to think about.

They do interviews with some of those kids and Hurley's list came from an interview with him.

As was mentioned, Hurley is still two recruiting classes away (2014) and Gersich is three classes away (2015). I am not sure how there is no room for a couple of guys who are 2 or more years away from even hitting college. From what I see, Minnesota only has one forward recruit lined up after 2013 so I think there is quite a bit of wishful thinking in cberkas.

They do interviews with some of those kids and Hurley's list came from an interview with him.

As was mentioned, Hurley is still two recruiting classes away (2014) and Gersich is three classes away (2015). I am not sure how there is no room for a couple of guys who are 2 or more years away from even hitting college. From what I see, Minnesota only has one forward recruit lined up after 2013 so I think there is quite a bit of wishful thinking in cberkas.

Namely because the Gophers over recruited forwards for 2013 so the need for them in 2014 isn't as high. That's why some are questioning the space issue. They have no senior forwards, but will probably lose a couple early, and they are still bringing in at least 5 forwards next year.

Namely because the Gophers over recruited forwards for 2013 so the need for them in 2014 isn't as high. That's why some are questioning the space issue. They have no senior forwards, but will probably lose a couple early, and they are still bringing in at least 5 forwards next year.

Then take in account of the Mr. Hockey candidates each year.