SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Ball 2018

geaux_sioux

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Loads of great info here. Lots of weight updates as well. Tank has put on over 30 lbs but still isn’t over 300..... he was around 265 to end last season....

Seems to be much more confidence in the defense entering spring, will be interesting to hear if the defense can really get back to 2016 form.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Loads of great info here. Lots of weight updates as well. Tank has put on over 30 lbs but still isn’t over 300..... he was around 265 to end last season....

Really good listen!  Refreshing to hear good football minds with Craig and Kelly.  Diamond back field, would love that.  Kelly had me rolling with the Stonebrook flashback when what seemed like 2- 1st downs and 80 total yards, and won on the Tillman pick 6.

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Good stuff.  

One thing I would like see...with the potential deep D line....is to have Zeke move to OLB.  Incredibly talented and quick feet.  Gives UND size at OLB and I have no doubts that he would excel on the outside.  Very similar in size as Labat but 10x as explosive.  

13 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Good stuff.  

One thing I would like see...with the potential deep D line....is to have Zeke move to OLB.  Incredibly talented and quick feet.  Gives UND size at OLB and I have no doubts that he would excel on the outside.  Very similar is size as Labat but 10x as explosive.  

He's still a little thin but you can see his twitch is different when he lifts. The weight moves off the floor just a bit faster than the other guys. If he's not big enough to play DE then he absolutely should be OLB.

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Really good listen!  Refreshing to hear good football minds with Craig and Kelly.  Diamond back field, would love that.  Kelly had me rolling with the Stonebrook flashback when what seemed like 2- 1st downs and 80 total yards, and won on the Tillman pick 6.

They hit the nail on the head when they said Rudy has to adjust to the players he has.  If our offensive line aren't good enough to just run you over you've got to come up with something.  It sounds like they are actually expecting some tweaks to the offense this year.  We've all been wanting it, and I hope it actually finally happens.  While Bubba didn't fire Rudy, I'm wondering if he had a talk with him and said that we can't just keep doing what we were doing.  As a few others have stated, if Rudy fails to perform this year it's on Bubba.  I'm hoping between us having a QB with a better deep ball, some actual adjustments to the offense and 2-3 speed WR options that our offense can actually be something this year even if the OL is only average.  I think a lot of offensive coordinators would love to have the 3 RB's we have and some decent WR's and look forward to scheming some great game plans.  

Having ILB's with experience at 240 and 250 verses young guys with no experience at 195 and 205 last year, it's going to be night and day like they said.  I truly believe last year was a huge anomaly on defense and am looking forward to our guys laying the wood on some of the offenses we play this year.  

• Upvote 1

Ok. The football forum, minus our complaining, is about dead. 

Spring ball started two days ago and hardly a word. 

Come on people. Let’s hear some chatter, some critiques, and some criticism. 

90% of the time this forum is the only link us fans hundreds of miles away have. 

We need to get this up to a fevered pitch by August. 

• Upvote 3

The team had a Saturday practice yesterday, but the regular schedule is M-W-F. Not sure if anyone has been able to attend the practices. But I'm hearing there is a buzz, sort of a newness this spring and the players are excited to be out there working. As Bubba mentioned in his video clip There are some jobs open and kids are enjoying the competition. That's a step in the right direction heading into the 2018 season.

I kind of get that impression also. Hope us distant fans get periodic updates. 

I hope the team will fight the whole 60 minutes of every game this year. 

Kind of felt there were times last year the team stopped playing before the final whistle. 

1 hour ago, Fry Bread said:

Ok. The football forum, minus our complaining, is about dead. 

Spring ball started two days ago and hardly a word. 

Come on people. Let’s hear some chatter, some critiques, and some criticism. 

90% of the time this forum is the only link us fans hundreds of miles away have. 

We need to get this up to a fevered pitch by August. 

Bubba's program took a complete nosedive during 2017 and the folks around the program can sense it.

We'll eventually see if 2017 was an exception or the new norm for "Bubba Ball"; I'm not holding my breath. Hoping for a turnaround, though, obviously. 

1 hour ago, Old School Guy said:

The team had a Saturday practice yesterday, but the regular schedule is M-W-F. Not sure if anyone has been able to attend the practices. But I'm hearing there is a buzz, sort of a newness this spring and the players are excited to be out there working. As Bubba mentioned in his video clip There are some jobs open and kids are enjoying the competition. That's a step in the right direction heading into the 2018 season.

@Teeder11 we’re counting on you.

3 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

I will second that, hearing the same thing!

4 hours ago, Old School Guy said:

Bubba said all spots are open!!! He is positive about improvements!

1 hour ago, siouxfb said:

Heard from someone at the practices that all 3 qbs looked good. Should be a great competition. 

DBs were a concern. Need to continue to develop there. 

Hopefully the QB appearance isn't due to the DB play. 

57 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Man not one comment on here all week.....is it really even spring practice?  

We don't want to advertise the new wrinkles and the __________ series they are putting in.  Just guessing - 

• Upvote 2

It doesn't help that the football team doesn't have a beat writer.  Tom Miller is our only hope, and he seems kind of lazy, to be honest.  Teeder puts out better info than him and it's not even his job. 

There's zero new information to talk about, hence one post all week.

Edit: In Tom's defense, he's only a columnist, though, and I think he has been busy with hs basketball.  If money is an issue for the herald, and if I were in charge, I would hire a student intern (journalism major) to act as a part time beat writer for the football team.  Cover practices and provide info and story ideas to Tom.  

UND also needs to figure out a way to produce a Through These Doors type of show for UND football.  I know they have tried it in the past, but they cancelled it, citing lack of resources.  Create a student internship and let them do this... they can put it on their resume while providing a meaningful service to UND football and it's fan base.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Here is something to talk about, courtesy of Tom Miller, who I just bashed.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4411954-und-football-coaching-staff-juggles-duties-spring-ball-begins

"Schweigert has decided to no longer coach a position group. He had previously coached UND's cornerbacks..."

"Schweigert said the move was made so he could spend more time monitoring both the offense and the defense during practice."

"Travis Stepps has moved from coaching safeties to cornerbacks."

"Joel Schwenzfeier has moved from coaching outside linebackers to safeties."

"Defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt has moved from inside linebackers to outside linebackers. Carl Reinholz takes over the inside linebackers."

"These coaching tweaks also make sense considering Stepps was an NCAA Division II All-American corner at Pittsburg State, Schwenzfeier was a UND safety and Schmidt was a UND outside linebacker."

I like the change.  Not sure about Reinholz at inside linebackers, though.  Isn't he pretty new and played wr in college?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nodak651 said:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4411954-und-football-coaching-staff-juggles-duties-spring-ball-begins

"Schweigert has decided to no longer coach a position group. He had previously coached UND's cornerbacks..."

"Schweigert said the move was made so he could spend more time monitoring both the offense and the defense during practice."

"Defensive coordinator Eric Schmidt has moved from inside linebackers to outside linebackers. Carl Reinholz takes over the inside linebackers."

"These coaching tweaks also make sense considering Stepps was an NCAA Division II All-American corner at Pittsburg State, Schwenzfeier was a UND safety and Schmidt was a UND outside linebacker."

I like the change.  Not sure about Reinholz at inside linebackers, though.  Isn't he pretty new and played wr in college?

Not much else screams cheap more than the head coach coaching a position group. Particularly when there is no other position coach in that role. 

The financial situation is less than ideal. Thin ice as far as I'm concerned. 

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Thanks for posting the article, which leads me to a question.  When I first came on this site about 4 years ago, on the homepage there was always links to various articles...such as GF Herald write ups on the football team, Sioux Insider links to stuff etc..  Then seems like it was about 2 years ago the whole layout changed and I don't see that anymore.  Have to actively go search other places to find articles with info on the team.  I like the old version WAY better where I saw various stuff posted regarding the football team all of the time and it was easy to get to.  Was this article posted somewhere on the homepage on this site or somewhere that I am just not looking or checking?  Most everything on the homepage seems to relate to Hockey.  

Definitely think it is a good move for Bubba to not be coaching a position group and pay more attention to the offense.  I think he realizes it is now 100% his a** too if the offense sucks again this year.  He stuck with Rudy...............the offense...or lack of it is on his shoulders now.