SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UMD - SATURDAY Gameday ********

AZSIOUX

48 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Way to cherry-pick maybe the best recruiting class ever.

Cherry pick?  Talent wise who else would you put with those three, Gardner?  I'm not saying the season is over by any stretch but this team is what it is. A very talent challenged squad who will probably sneak in to the tourney but is too mistake proned to probably really do anything.

34 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Cherry pick?  Talent wise who else would you put with those three, Gardner?  I'm not saying the season is over by any stretch but this team is what it is. A very talent challenged squad who will probably sneak in to the tourney but is too mistake proned to probably really do anything.

So who was in charge of recruiting these slugs then?

2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

Ausmus F

Wolanin D

Peskie D

Shaw C-

poolman C-

Johnson C-

Poolman B-

Cam C

Fair grades for the d corps.  I'm worried sick about next year.  Losing Ausmus won't hurt, but losing Tucker after this year and having Colton Poolman return as your best lockdown defenseman of a group that has been below average as a whole?  Ohh boy.  

Who do they have coming in?  Bast and Kierstad?  

6 hours ago, siouxweet said:

Beyond Jost, Boeser and Gersich where is the high end blue chip talent?  This is a failure in recruiting.  The young team excuse doesn't fly.  Look at BU.

BU has like 6 first rounders this year and a second. They also have JFK and greenway who were second rounders last year and hickey who's a beast.  Also, their goalie will most likely be a first or second next year.  Forget age...they're jacked.  There's a huge difference in potential between and 1-2 rounder and a 4th +. We have no where near their potential. Not a great comparison.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Love the hindsight "predictions." 

"We're the reigning champs, who return Boeser, Cam, the captain, and bring in wonderboy Jost. Team will be stocked. We dont rebuild. We reload."

Fast Forward a few months.

......"We lost a bunch of key players, the ones who returned are average at best. Our Captain sucks."

We're still a really good college team, just inconsistent.  They'll figure it out soon.  Too inconsistent to win a title but they might make a nice run in the tourney.  They just need to get there.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't understand all the complaining - I guess the fans who insisted that just ONE national title would make them OK with a few down years were apparently fibbing.

I hear ya Mafia Man, sounds like it for some.  Hmm, are they now second guessing themselves...?

13 hours ago, burd said:

That thought has passed through my mind more than once recently.   

And I hope people are not assuming CC will be soft opposition.  They are much improved.   It's a dog fight this year--exactly what we had reason to expect.  Just because this team is losing games they did not lose last year does not mean the players are lazy or do not care.  

Have faith, Berry has a plan.  The Gornall is FULLY OPERATIONAL.   Opposition beware.     

CC is indeed much improved.  They beat Duluth just a few weeks ago and played them closer than UND did.  I think a split in the Springs is looking quite likely unless we get Jost back then maybe we got a shot (slight) at using the broom.

58 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

What did people say about our d before we brought in LaDue Stecher and that whole crew? They weren't the last good ones on earth, we'll have to find some more.

I agree, but given how long it takes freshmen D players to adjust and who we will have back what kind of defense do you think we will have next year?

11 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree, but given how long it takes freshmen D players to adjust and who we will have back what kind of defense do you think we will have next year?

Stecher didn't need more than a shift to adjust to college. It's just about bringing in the right guys and getting a bit lucky with how they turn out.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

CC is indeed much improved.  They beat Duluth just a few weeks ago and played them closer than UND did.  I think a split in the Springs is looking quite likely unless we get Jost back then maybe we got a shot (slight) at using the broom.

No matter their recent success vs a Duluth team that thought they could just show up, they're 0-9-0 at home this year, they have about a -1.4 goal margin and we have a 0.9 goal margin/game. They are 10% on the power play, we are 20%. They're 56th in ncaas in gpg, 52nd in goals against per game.

We have more than a "slight shot" at a sweep.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No matter their recent success vs a Duluth team that thought they could just show up, they're 0-9-0 at home this year, they have about a -1.4 goal margin and we have a 0.9 goal margin/game. They are 10% on the power play, we are 20%. They're 56th in ncaas in gpg, 52nd in goals against per game.

We have more than a "slight shot" at a sweep.

Admittedly we've been road warriors and home disappointers this season but I still beg to differ.  I did give them a chance, I said "slight shot" to sweep, but they sure as hell ain't no sure shot to do it either.  I sure hope you're right though IHTINB! 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You realize that BU's "Diaper Dandies" will likely bolt for the NHL at the end of this season, don't you? They either win a title this year or they start over next year.

Agreed.
BU definitely has an amazing recruiting class this year, but they have a history of having one-shot "great" teams and then faltering for many seasons in a row.  I see this as no different for them this year.  They have the talent to win it all this year, but if that doesn't happen...they lose 3 seniors and (by my count) as many as 6 early departures from their current freshman/sophomore classes. The 2017/2018 season will not be kind to Terrier fans.

2009 National Title
2010 Didn't make NCAA Tourney
2011 Didn't make NCAA Tourney
2012 Lost in 1st round NCAA Tourney
2013 Didn't make NCAA Tourney
2014 Didn't make NCAA Tourney
2015 Lost in National Title game
2016 Lost in 1st round NCAA Tourney

They may have persuaded the studs to join their group this year, but I'll side with what Berry and Hakstol have done at UND over that any day (even if it means sticking with our "weak" recruiting classes).  :D

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.
BU definitely has an amazing recruiting class this year, but they have a history of having one-shot "great" teams and then faltering for many seasons in a row.  I see this as no different for them this year.  They have the talent to win it all this year, but if that doesn't happen...they lose 3 seniors and (by my count) as many as 6 early departures from their current freshman/sophomore classes. The 2017/2018 season will not be kind to Terrier fans.

2009 National Title

They may have persuaded the studs to join their group this year, but I'll side with what Berry and Hakstol have done at UND over that any day (even if it means sticking with our "weak" recruiting classes).  :D

This is a fantastic post to put it all into perspective. While BU may have gotten great "one and dones" to play for them Hakstol and Berry have found a good mix of high end & role players to fit into their system for a consistent chance at making the FF/being in league championship races.

The above looks similar to Wisconsin's issue with balancing classes.

43 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

This is a fantastic post to put it all into perspective. While BU may have gotten great "one and dones" to play for them Hakstol and Berry have found a good mix of high end & role players to fit into their system for a consistent chance at making the FF/being in league championship races.

The above looks similar to Wisconsin's issue with balancing classes.

It is a good post.   Using BC as a comparison model is not very useful, since they have pretty much been at a level all by themselves since they lost the NC to us in '00. 

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed.

2009 National Title

Good post, but you really have to start looking at the recruiting classes from when Quinn took over.  This guy is a recruiting wizard.  The program was falling pretty quick in those later Parker years...from a consistency perspective.  BU is going to be rolling them in next year too.