SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

terry bjerke was on knox one day last week or so...made a nice point...south dakota has no income tax and no oil (revenue)....north dakota has an income tax and tons of oil...south dakota regulariily pays their bills normally without a problem....what's the problem up North?

How many 4 year schools does ND have compared to SD? 

14 hours ago, Goon said:

Count me in. The University has already said they're not cutting women's hockey. 

I see on Twitter you are defending WH.  That is fine and you should do that.  But at least address the issue why so many think it should be on the list of sports to cut.  Has nothing to do with "liking or not liking" it.

UND is in a budget crunch and has too many sports.  They need to cut and one sport that brings in zero revenue also has by far the biggest budget of that low revenue group.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I see on Twitter you are defending WH.  That is fine and you should do that.  But at least address the issue why so many think it should be on the list of sports to cut.  Has nothing to do with "liking or not liking" it.

UND is in a budget crunch and has too many sports.  They need to cut and one sport that brings in zero revenue also has by far the biggest budget of that low revenue group.

Well said. Kennedy needs to sit down and look at current athletic budgets, look at revenues, expenses, potential revenues / exposure and then make the best decision (obviously). To me, WH is the clear #1 to be cut and it's not even close. Now, I don't know the impact on Title IX and how the "tier" system works, so maybe WH stays for that reason. Regardless, sports need to be cut.

What's really unfortunate is even though it seems like a no-brainer, there's going to be a very vocal minority that would be out for blood for cutting a women's sport. I think at the end of the day, you cut a sport that has equal men's / women's (Tennis, Swimming / Diving). We don't live in a world of common sense anymore.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Kennedy has already stated he won't be cutting sports. He said it he was only going to look at the issue once during his time at UND.

And than the "Wings Up" campaign was started and the sports that will be looked at to be cut are the ones that have raised the most money (last i looked).  Again, I will believe something gets cut when it happens.  

21 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Kennedy has already stated he won't be cutting sports. He said it he was only going to look at the issue once during his time at UND.

Things change. Burgum is proposing to add an additional 5% cut to the what was originally considered the "worst case scenario" of 15% cuts. While I understand what he was trying to do (make it a non-issue once it was decided), he shouldn't have painted himself into a corner like he did.

Making the decision to refuse to look at it again which will only let the problem continuously hamper UND and the athletic department going forward is a far worse choice than him having to go back on his statement under the cover of additional cuts that make their "non-action plan" unsustainable.

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

No, the solution is to cut the women's sport that is over a $2 million drain on an athletics department that needs to do some serious budget re-alignment. It might not solve every problem, but it would sure get pretty close on the budget issue. I liked baseball (and golf), yet I didn't throw a fit when those were cut because it was part of something that needed to be done. Why should men's sports be the only one's on the chopping block, the women's side of athletics are already over-represented by Title IX measurements.

In 2015, women's hockey had $21,377 in ticket sales and brought in total revenues of $29,239 and had total operating expenses of $1,492,827 despite being charged a total of $0 for facilties because the entire amount of over $2.2 million was categorized under the men's hockey team. UND spent almost $1.5 million for ~20 girls to play hockey. Before you deflect, I attend some women's hockey game, it can be a nice way to kill some time on a weekend afternoon, but for the amount of money it is costing UND, I'm having a hard time coming up with a reasonable justification that it should remain.

Since you're so against cutting women's hockey, what is your grand plan to fix UND's athletic budget because the state money isn't coming back anytime soon.

I'm genuinely embarrassed for Goon after reading that tweet. He must have been so proud when he pushed send, took a victory lap while he pats himself on the back for being such a great guy. No money issues at UND, you think a women's sport should be cut? Sexist.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Seems the costs of college athletics is catching up with more than we knew. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt 

Hobbled by debt service payments, the (Cal-Berkeley) athletic department ran a $22 million deficit last year and expects to end this fiscal year deep in the red.

Yes, you read that. Cal's budget deficit is roughly our entire budget. They run 30 programs. They are looking at cutting. 

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt 

Yes, you read that. Cal's budget deficit is roughly our entire budget. They run 30 programs. They are looking at cutting. 

How about that stadium/facility loan they took out?  18 million dollars in interest-only per year.  :0

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Things change.

This super smart academic guy didn't think things ever change in a state budget?

This super smart guy wouldn't think he'd ever change his mind and leave himself an out instead of proclaiming to the media he won't ever look at the issue again?

Maybe he's not so smart.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Cratter said:

This super smart academic guy didn't think things ever change in a state budget?

This super smart guy wouldn't think he'd ever change his mind and leave himself an out instead of proclaiming to the media he won't ever look at the issue again?

Maybe he's not so smart.

Kennedy tried to put the issue to rest. He had to or the buzz would be an ongoing distraction. 

The Legislature is resurrecting it. 

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Cal has a 110 million shortfall.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/20/its-official-cal-athletics-bleeding-cash-at-astounding-rate/

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Lol.  Respectfully, what are you talking about?  Do you have any idea what is going on and what needs to be done to fix it?  You haven't been paying attention apparently.

Who ever said "lets cut womens sports and be done with it"?  We have to cut mens or womens or both to fix the problem, which nobody "likes" but is the unfortunate sad truth.  Whichever makes the most sense.  Womens Hockey happens to make a lot of sense and it has NOTHING to do with people "liking" or "disliking" Womens Hockey.

By the way, I LOVED UND Baseball.  How bout you?

• Upvote 1

For all the people that say women's hockey doesn't make money, well none of the women's hockey programs except 3 made money. i think it's time for women's hockey to add checking, that will make the game better and could get people to show up to games. If UND keeps women's hockey then can they finally fire Ideski.

So what has the other schools cut from their budget that aren't UND and NDSU? Does UND and NDSU have higher budget cuts or are they even for all schools? 

9 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Lol.  Respectfully, what are you talking about?  Do you have any idea what is going on and what needs to be done to fix it?  You haven't been paying attention apparently.

Who ever said "lets cut womens sports and be done with it"?  We have to cut mens or womens or both to fix the problem, which nobody "likes" but is the unfortunate sad truth.  Whichever makes the most sense.  Womens Hockey happens to make a lot of sense and it has NOTHING to do with people "liking" or "disliking" Womens Hockey.

By the way, I LOVED UND Baseball.  How bout you?

I see what Goon is getting at, most people on here believe that if you cut women's hockey that money will fix the budget issues and they can put that money in basketball and football. Someone pointed out that the money that would goto women's hockey wouldn't get repurposed to football or basketball. 

5 minutes ago, cberkas said:

For all the people that say women's hockey doesn't make money, well none of the women's hockey programs except 3 made money. i think it's time for women's hockey to add checking, that will make the game better and could get people to show up to games. If UND keeps women's hockey then can they finally fire Ideski.

So what has the other schools cut from their budget that aren't UND and NDSU? Does UND and NDSU have higher budget cuts or are they even for all schools? 

Most athletic departments as a whole don't make money; they are in the red every year (some more than others). I think there are maybe a dozen athletic departments in the entire NCAA that run in the black without being subsidized.

6 minutes ago, cberkas said:

no it won't.

28 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I see what Goon is getting at, most people on here believe that if you cut women's hockey that money will fix the budget issues and they can put that money in basketball and football. Someone pointed out that the money that would goto women's hockey wouldn't get repurposed to football or basketball. 

I don't think there's anyone that thinks that. If you need to save $2 million dollars, and they cut sports, why would anyone think that they would reciprocate that to other sports? Then they'd still be $2 million in the hole.

Now, in the future, once UND balances it's budget, not having these programs will help spread the money around with any budget increase.

• Upvote 1