SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Message on Athletics

fightingsioux4life

5 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I thought the same thing the first time I read it, then go that can't be right.

Anyway:

Idaski recruiting = more WH. 

Maybe he's out interviewing for new jobs but is calling it "recruiting."

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyway:

What is he supposed to do?  Assume that the program is going to be cut and just sit and do nothing?  When you are a job and you are hearing rumors that they are cutting your department, do you stay home from work?  No, you go to work like usual until something gets announced.  I doubt Idalski or any of the coaches know what Kennedy is going to announce.  So until then, go about your business like usual.  

• Upvote 2

Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but in a radio interview with Mike McNamara yesterday, Tom Miller stated that in his opinion, there was a pretty good chance women's hockey would indeed be cut, possibly as early as today. If you are interested in hearing the entire interview, which also included Virg Foss, you can find a link to it on Miller's twitter feed.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

Not sure if this has already been posted or not, but in a radio interview with Mike McNamara yesterday, Tom Miller stated that in his opinion, there was a pretty good chance women's hockey would indeed be cut, possibly as early as today. If you are interested in hearing the entire interview, which also included Virg Foss, you can find a link to it on Miller's twitter feed.

Any chance they announce to downgrade Women's hockey to club level/ACHA DI?

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What is he supposed to do?  Assume that the program is going to be cut and just sit and do nothing?  When you are a job and you are hearing rumors that they are cutting your department, do you stay home from work?  No, you go to work like usual until something gets announced.  I doubt Idalski or any of the coaches know what Kennedy is going to announce.  So until then, go about your business like usual.  

Absolutely agree with this.  That article was dated 3/24, so last Friday, which mean he probably left earlier in the week.  Considering the fact UND has brought in a consulting firm for this whole thing, I would imagine this are pretty tight lipped.  Also, there probably was no decision made as of early last week, so rather than throw up red flags, just continue doing what you're doing.  If WH gets cut, he will be looking for a job and will still need recruits...so whether or not those recruits will be for UND or a school to be named at a later date for him remains to be seen.  If he can recruit on someone else's dime he will.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Sorry misunderstood ya! I thought you meant he was out recruiting for the USA hockey team!

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Anyway:

It's happened to me on here too.

3 hours ago, UND92,96 said:

I thought it was telling that when Miller asked Kennedy about the blowback being from the community or legal he said both. 

Speaking of Miller:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4241770-miller-und-should-make-cuts-basketball-support-mind#.WNqPPEYGAok.twitter

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I thought it was telling that when Miller asked Kennedy about the blowback being from the community or legal he said both. 

Speaking of Miller:  http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4241770-miller-und-should-make-cuts-basketball-support-mind#.WNqPPEYGAok.twitter

"And, really, that's perfect timing. If UND is going to shake things up, it should cut deep with the future in mind. UND shouldn't make this historic cut by trimming the bare minimum, allowing programs to be funded at poor levels and going about its business with the status quo."

This right here.  If we make the bare minimum in cuts to make budget, there may be a point down the road where we need to cut additional sports.  I say cut more than what is needed to boost programs like mens basketball/football/volleyball/etc up.  Many of us agree that cutting WHKY is going to make the biggest dent in the budget as far as cost savings.  But UND should think proactively and cut 2-3 more sports so that the remaining sports can increase their budgets to pay their coaches appropriately in comparison to other schools in our future conferences (Summit/MVFC). 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If WH was getting cut tomorrow, they wouldn't have him go out. The coaches that are involved in cuts usually know before the public announcements. We'll see.

Tell that to the baseball team.  They were the last to find out.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

If WH was getting cut tomorrow, they wouldn't have him go out. The coaches that are involved in cuts usually know before the public announcements. We'll see.

Maybe the recruiting trip he is on is not for new players, but for a new job for himself.

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I really think he knew, and that was Pres. Schaffer. 

I'll repeat myself and this is what you replied to.

" The coaches that are involved in cuts usually know before the public announcements." meaning head coaches.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Tell that to the baseball head coach.

• Upvote 2