SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

When Mike Berg was coaching at GFC, UND would get great talent like Mark Callahan, and Phillip Moore to name a couple. Central football has been down in the dumps lately and hasn't shown much for talent. Hopefully it changes soon, its always great to cheer on local talent.

Last team at Central with decent talent was 2009. There has been a lot of undeveloped/uncommitted talent to go through that program..... need to develop the kids and give them something to commit to. Berg was great at getting kids committed. 

• Upvote 2

Great to see Fighting Hawk staff pick up PWO's...and let them develop and "coach 'em up"....Nebraska has made great use of walk on's....usually kids from small NE communities...some from 9 man programs...who had talent, but lacked top notch competition and weight training....good for UND to practice same.....

21 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Still waiting for some more OL guys. Really hope we hear something soon. With Rousenmiller only having an offer from us and a PWO from the Goofs, I was hoping he would having committed. I wonder if he will be visiting soon, and we may hear something the.

I do know he's scheduled to visit soon - not certain of the date. He has options in both football and track & field so I think he's weighing his choices. The visit will be important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, nodakhoops said:

Reynolds is a tackling machine. Always around the football. 

Mauch from Hankinson, Hankey from Park River and Jepson from Killeer are some others that I don't think have committed yet.

Getting Hayden Reynolds is great for UND's program.  He's one of the top athletes in the entire 2017 graduation class from the state of North Dakota.  Hayden is a tremendous athlete - he also excels at baseball and basketball.   I can see great things from him in the coming years, likely at an OLB or SS.  It certainly would be nice to see the above kids on UND's roster.  Mauch, Hankey, and Jepson should all be on UND's radar as they are also top talents in the 2017 class from our state.  It would be a mistake for UND to lose these kids to NDSU - so the staff at UND needs to throw them a bone and not give up on these talented kids.  The fan base from our state loves getting the best we have to offer.

If Hankey does play baseball, good for him.  If you're going to get the chance to compete in college sports, play what you enjoy!  It'll make the college experience a good one.

Heard from a reliable source that Mauch is really looking at either NDSU or UND.  We'll see what happens, but if you didn't seen the kid play football these past couple years you missed out.  He may be from a small 9 man program but he quite possibly is the top talent in this year's class from the state.  He could play either DE or TE at this college level and he catches everything thrown his way.  He's not the fastest kid in terms of a college prospect but he has tremendous blocking skills and he's not afraid of contact.  He dominated at the 9 man level and was double and triple teamed most times.  He's also a beast on the basketball court and consistently scores over 20 PPG and gets double digits in rebounds.  Rare talent, huge frame at 6'5", and could still grow more.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 97SiouxAlum said:

Getting Hayden Reynolds is great for UND's program.  He's one of the top athletes in the entire 2017 graduation class from the state of North Dakota.  Hayden is a tremendous athlete - he also excels at baseball and basketball.   I can see great things from him in the coming years, likely at an OLB or SS.  It certainly would be nice to see the above kids on UND's roster.  Mauch, Hankey, and Jepson should all be on UND's radar as they are also top talents in the 2017 class from our state.  It would be a mistake for UND to lose these kids to NDSU - so the staff at UND needs to throw them a bone and not give up on these talented kids.  The fan base from our state loves getting the best we have to offer.

If Hankey does play baseball, good for him.  If you're going to get the chance to compete in college sports, play what you enjoy!  It'll make the college experience a good one.

Heard from a reliable source that Mauch is really looking at either NDSU or UND.  We'll see what happens, but if you didn't seen the kid play football these past couple years you missed out.  He may be from a small 9 man program but he quite possibly is the top talent in this year's class from the state.  He could play either DE or TE at this college level and he catches everything thrown his way.  He's not the fastest kid in terms of a college prospect but he has tremendous blocking skills and he's not afraid of contact.  He dominated at the 9 man level and was double and triple teamed most times.  He's also a beast on the basketball court and consistently scores over 20 PPG and gets double digits in rebounds.  Rare talent, huge frame at 6'5", and could still grow more.

Thanks for the insight.  Reynolds will not be considered at safety.  You need to be a freak of nature to play safety in our system.

Reynolds from West Fargo followed his dream to play at his highest potential level as a walk on at UND foregoing scholarship at D2 schools....same with Rosenmiller...will he accept a walk on for the opportunity to play at the highest level or accept scholarship money at UND...personal choice for both young men....Comes down to,what's in their heart...if either asked my counsel....which they won't...it would be. "Shoot for your highest potential...you can always drop,down"..,.JJ is good,local example

On 1/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, nodakhoops said:

Renolds is a tackling machine. Always around the football. 

Mauch from Hankinson, Hankey from Park River and Jepson from Killeer are some others that I don't think have committed yet.

Mauch just took a PWO to NDSU. Supposedly over a PWO offer from UND and D-2 offer from MSU-M.

8 minutes ago, FlinFlan80 said:

Well looks like the focus for the few in state guys we like shifts to Hankey and Jepson.

Has anyone heard much on Hankey? I coach legion baseball in the summers, we play Park River 3 to 4 times a summer. Their legion coach told me he was hoping to land an offer from UND or NDSU. I am under the assumption that neither school have offered money? Probably trying to land him through the preferred walk-on route? I know baseball could be an option for him.

11 hours ago, shep said:

Apparently 8 recruits are on campus. Any word on who?

I am also curious as to who we have in town.  I hope they are from the upper Midwest - the weather up there this weekend may scare some kids away if they are from warmer climes!

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

I am also curious as to who we have in town.  I hope they are from the upper Midwest - the weather up there this weekend may scare some kids away if they are from warmer climes!

More the reason to focus on Midwest recruits! Win with the locals (including Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, etc.)!

26 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I believe Bubba has said they never hide the weather because they want kids who aren't bothered by it.

... and he's said they "want kids that have seen snow before" (i.e. local recruits who are appreciative and prideful of UND's tradition and vision). 

47 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Any news or rumors regarding commitments after the official visits this weekend?

I haven't heard anything and I'm not sure if this tweet hints that a player has committed or not (probably not).  "Bronko Nagurski" follows and reports on the recruiting status of MN HS football players.

Bronko Nagurski@MnHSFBRecruitin Jan 14

@visitgrandforks @dfreund7 @thedailymeal Great reason to commit to UND to play football right there!

2 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Any news or rumors regarding commitments after the official visits this weekend?

Rumor Mill, nearly all were committed this past weekend.  Next week is full of undecideds, really big weekend to complete the class.

• Upvote 1