SiouxSports.com Forum

with all due respect if you don't have the guts to call us we are

yababy8

I just possed this question to Brad on his blog, , what is with everyone in the media this weekend, even announcers, referring to the Sioux as "UND" as opposed to what they are usually called, "North Dakota"?

Obviously such unilateral stark change over night suggest that somebody might have asked them to. The quick change combined with the fact that it sounds so forced and frankly stupid to say UND really makes me think, WTF??

It sure is annoying hearing the ESPN guys continually say UND and not North Dakota. It sounded horrible. Saying North Dakota is obviously what should be being said. Is saying UND some sort of an attempt to make us all feel lacking in the name area when we are not. North Dakota sounds just fine. Good actually..

I just possed this question to Brad on his blog, , what is with everyone in the media this weekend, even announcers, referring to the Sioux as "UND" as opposed to what they are usually called, "North Dakota"?

Obviously such unilateral stark change over night suggest that somebody might have asked them to. The quick change combined with the fact that it sounds so forced and frankly stupid to say UND really makes me think, WTF??

It sure is annoying hearing the ESPN guys continually say UND and not North Dakota. It sounded horrible. Saying North Dakota is obviously what should be being said. Is saying UND some sort of an attempt to make us all feel lacking in the name area when we are not. North Dakota sounds just fine. Good actually..

I think you may be overthinking this one. I'd rather hear North Dakota, but I'm not sure what kind of negative motivation there would be. Whatever we change our name to, we still be the U of North Dakota.

Starman and the other guy on intermissions said North Dakota plenty of times during the day.

• Upvote 1

Maybe, but honestly who would say UND for 3 hours straight in lieu of North Dakota?

I'm trying to think of an example with another team where they are referred to by their initials as opposed to the state or the state with state after it?

in any case it sounds way stupid and Brad always refers to them as North Dakota and not und until today the day after the goofballs from ESPN were doing the same thing? it's certainly worth asking the question.

Maybe, but honestly who would say UND for 3 hours straight in lieu of North Dakota?

I'm trying to think of an example with another team where they are referred to by their initials as opposed to the state or the state with state after it?

in any case it sounds way stupid and Brad always refers to them as North Dakota and not und until today the day after the goofballs from ESPN were doing the same thing? it's certainly worth asking the question.

Because it's easier and more common?  I call them UND when I refer to the school, basketball team, football team, hockey team, whatever.  

"hey, are you going to the North Dakota game tonight"?   Nobody says that.  Ever.

• Upvote 2

Conspiracy.  UCLA fans are asking same question I'm sure.  Who gives a rats behind, we know who we are and as long as we win they can call us late for dinner.

Conspiracy. UCLA fans are asking same question I'm sure. Who gives a rats behind, we know who we are and as long as we win they can call us late for dinner.

May be not a conspiracy but boy does it sound bad..

I went back through Brad's posts and he uses UND and North Dakota, I guess I just never noticed it in print until I listened to it spoken by the ESPN guy a 100 times over and now I'm sensitive to it like when you think of eating a food that you got food poisoning from...

I think your overthinking this one :)

• Upvote 2

I too am in disbelief they would refer to the University of North Dakota hockey team as UND. It was just ridiculous.

I can tell that clearly by your forum name.

...if I had to hear UNDBIZ 75 times over while watching my team win their way to #8 it would be a tough pill to swallow too... :-;

I can tell that clearly by your forum name.

...if I had to hear UNDBIZ 75 times over while watching my team win their way to #8 it would be a tough pill to swallow too... :-;

Lol. Not sure how BIZ would work it's way into the espn hockey commentary.