• Zach Parise
    • Jonathan Toews
    • Ed Belfour
    • Greg Johnson
    • Troy Murray
    • To ny Hrkac
    • Perry Berezan
    • Other

Zach Parise was the best college player I have seen live with my own eyes. I know lots of people always say Toews but I'm sorry from day one as a freshman Parise was the best player on the ice. It took Toews a while to adjust to the college game as a young (17 years old) freshman whereas Parise took the college game by storm from day 1. I think many people judge Toews based on what he is now which is one of, if not the best player in the world. For my money in college, I will take Parise.

Wow, not a lot of love for the Hrkac circus here.  He wasn't the NHL star that some Sioux greats have become, but he was dominant in college and put up some pretty impressive numbers (116 points in a season is still an NCAA record).

I just voted for Hrkac...........didn't have to think about it for more than 2 seconds.

Wow, not a lot of love for the Hrkac circus here. He wasn't the NHL star that some Sioux greats have become, but he was dominant in college and put up some pretty impressive numbers (116 points in a season is still an NCAA record).

And it NEVER will be broken!!!! Un less it a Fighting Sioux player that does it :p

It is really difficult to answer this question because the game of college hockey is so different today from what it was in the 1990's, which is different from the 1980's, which is different.... and on and on.  Players that were dominant in their era, would be good but not great in a different era.

Also, there are very few of us who have had to opportunity to watch Fighting Sioux hockey from the 1950's through today.  And no, I am not part of that group.

From a purely offensive perspective, the highlight videos of Tony Hrkac just amaze me even today.  It is easy to forget the stuff he could do.  If he had played another year in college it might be a little bit easier to call him the best.

Doug Smail and Troy Murray are a couple of others that come to mind as pretty good.

The best two way player probably comes down to Zach Parise or Jonathan Toews.  There are arguments for both, but again there were differences in the game just in the few short years between their stints.  In the Parise era there was much more clutching, grabbing, and interference allowed.  That might give the nod the Parise.

• Upvote 1

This one's going to shake out based on age and years in which UND was attended.  I voted for Hrkac.  Berezan's inclusion was puzzling.  If Belfour was on the list, Karl belongs there as well.  Fun poll!  Will be interesting how it shakes out.   

Hrkac....only knock is total service time at UND.

Same with Toews an Parise.

Cherski has to be in the conversation as well as Sykes, Patrick, and Johnson.

If your 2 eyes saw Hrkas play...its easy to vote for Tony....wasnt easy to keep your jaw from dropping.

That was a once in a lifetime team and I feel fortunate having witnessed it.