SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol and his team

SIOUXELEVENS

I have been on the fire Hak side and have expressed that opinion for awhile but on this forum I would like to apologize to him, his staff and team. This season he has proved he is able to change and make adjustments, aka his to in the first OT, settle his team down and get their heads straight. His team has given it all and Hakstol has shown that it's not all serious( Gaarder the bus will leave when you say it leaves) and keeping the guys loose before the Badger game. Always been a fan of this team and from now on I will act like one.

SIOUXELEVENS

• Upvote 3

I have been on the fire Hak side and have expressed that opinion for awhile but on this forum I would like to apologize to him, his staff and team. This season he has proved he is able to change and make adjustments, aka his to in the first OT, settle his team down and get their heads straight. His team has given it all and Hakstol has shown that it's not all serious( Gaarder the bus will leave when you say it leaves) and keeping the guys loose before the Badger game. Always been a fan of this team and from now on I will act like one.

SIOUXELEVENS

Good for you; now if we could just win over the extreme haters from last night's game thread, although I'm not convinced they are Sioux fans.

SIOUXELEVENS

Respect.

Yeah someone tell me last nights game wasn't worth the trials & tribulations of this season

even if we dont win it all getting there & having a chance is far better than not

I do think most Hak haters were being sarcastic if not they are so dumb their not worth arguing with

• Upvote 1

SIOUXELEVENS

I at times have felt the same as you. The St. Lawrence game.....the Canadian weekend.....The Saturday against Omaha......Miami at the Target center......

I've heard its a season long process about a thousand times from a lot of wise old hockey fans who patrol around here, and even from Hak all through the way. Some how we let ourselves get lulled into the....."not going to have the push this year" crowd.

Considering the talent that he's got, it may be one of his best coaching jobs to date.

• Upvote 1

Hakstol has continuesly lead us to quit a few frozen fours and regional appearances. Unlike with the football team who had no life at all at the end of this past season, the hockey team continues to turn seasons around and that is why we are in no need for a new coach this year or next year . I feel as though a coach can only do so much, after that it is up to the players. Win or lose yesterday we made the tournament and beat Wisconson. That alone shows we are still in good hands. Multiple years in the tournament is better then a single championship followed by a drought.

I hate be to the Debbie downer

but we do have talent

we ha 15 draft picks

I hate when people say we don't gottalent

sure we don't havethe usual talntthat und has

but we dohave mor talnt thenmost teams

The 15 draft choice argument is analytically shallow. It says something but not much on how those players progressed after the draft. People agree almost without exception that Hak is a great developer of talent. Many, including myself, have been slow to believe he is a very good game coach, but if those draft choices failed to live up to their draft number, it is not on him, IMO. You have to be good to be drafted, obviously, but there are drafted players and there are drafted players who will be successful at the next level. Suggesting that any coach should be able to reach the FF with 15 draft choices is, without more, not an argument worth listening to.

IMO

My gfhockey-to-English translator is a bit off, but I swear I thought that read 'we have more taint than most teams.' Then I wondered, is that an official NCAA statistic?

That's funny. I was not brought up to look for taint in a men's hockey player.

• Upvote 1

There his no reason they can't win it all this year! Yale can attest to that. With the character, camaraderie and talent in that locker room, anything can happen. Our team believes they can win and we owe it to them as "Fighting Sioux" fans to jump on their bandwagon! go Sioux!

The 15 draft choice argument is analytically shallow. It says something but not much on how those players progressed after the draft. People agree almost without exception that Hak is a great developer of talent. Many, including myself, have been slow to believe he is a very good game coach, but if those draft choices failed to live up to their draft number, it is not on him, IMO. You have to be good to be drafted, obviously, but there are drafted players and there are drafted players who will be successful at the next level. Suggesting that any coach should be able to reach the FF with 15 draft choices is, without more, not an argument worth listening to.

IMO

With draft 15 picks they don't just hand a team the banner? What?

He has done a fine job this season with what we have. I feel he does a lot better job with teams of lesser talent than ones that are loaded. I am not totally on or off the fire bandwagon, as he needs to better his 1-5 record in the frozen four. His 14-4 record in the regional is nothing short of spectacular, but the frozen four record really tarnishes those accomplishments. He just really needs to hang a banner and the fire Hak stuff will be gone. Unfortunately for him the longer it takes the harder it has become! Maybe this year is the year as the team is playing with house money and seems to be playing much more loose. Win or lose the rest of the way, I tip my cap to Dave, his staff, and his squad!

• Upvote 1

SIOUXELEVENS

Just for the heck of it, I went back and re-read the entire "Fire Hak" thread this morning - and it was brutal. I give you credit for having the guts to post your thoughts today. UND may or may not win a championship this season, but the ride has been full of thrills once again.

Minnesota State gave UMass-Lowell all it could handle yesterday. Beat either St. Cloud or Minnesota and there's a chance - hell, maybe it's destiny and old demons being exorcised against BC? Never woulda guessed Yale would beat Quinnipiac after getting pasted by the Bobcats four times last year but in that one game - ONE GAME - anything can happen. This is a team that BELIEVES in itself...and that's a scary thing.

Agreed, in a one game and done situation, anything can happen and the best talent does not always win. When the Frattin crew were seniors, you could see the tension as the got off the bus and headed into the arena. I believe the pressure was to tight, because they were "expected" to win it all, if affected their game. In 97, team was young and not expected to win and look what happened. If this team brings it's A game it can beat anybody however with a younger team you never know. Last nights game after the 1st period was not one of their better games, hopefully they saved it for Philly.

Because of the age at which hockey players are drafted, it is an indication of perceived potential. Someone thinks that they may have the potential to develop and play in the NHL. Many drafted players never set foot in the NHL door. Very very few players are NHL ready when they are drafted. In college, many undrafted players can and will be better than drafted players. They may be early developers and may have already reached their full potential. Someone somewhere thinks a drafted player has a higher upside potential than an undrafted player. It does not mean the drafted player is better than an undrafted player at this point in time.

One of the eastern teams, I think it may be Union, has 16 players that will reach 24 years of age in 2014. Few, if any, of these players are drafted. But they are physically and mentally more mature than most drafted players in the college ranks. They are possibly more talented than many drafted players, at this point in time. But these 24 year olds are likely at their peak and their hockey careers will be over after college (other than recreational leagues, fatman's leagues, or broomball leagues). If they have future potential they would likely be somewhere else in hockey by this age.

It is nice to say how many draft picks some team has, but it does not indicated current talent. A college team of twenty-six draft picks, all 18 and 19 years old, is highly unlikely to win the NCAA tournament. It takes much more than just being drafted.

I hate draft picks being used as a reason this team should automatically be successful. Yes, to some extent it signifies being a good player but, more than anything, it signifies the POTENTIAL to be a great player. Having a bunch of freshman and sophomore draft picks often doesn't translate to success in the college game.

Frattin was drafted and had a respectable 15 pts as a freshman, Malone was drafted and had 3 pts. Being drafted doesn't automatically make you Toews or Parise, especially as a freshman or sophomore.

And if it was all based on draft picks, Michigan should have been in the tournament (they have 12)...this year and last year.

Because of the age at which hockey players are drafted, it is an indication of perceived potential. Someone thinks that they may have the potential to develop and play in the NHL. Many drafted players never set foot in the NHL door. Very very few players are NHL ready when they are drafted. In college, many undrafted players can and will be better than drafted players. They may be early developers and may have already reached their full potential. Someone somewhere thinks a drafted player has a higher upside potential than an undrafted player. It does not mean the drafted player is better than an undrafted player at this point in time.

One of the eastern teams, I think it may be Union, has 16 players that will reach 24 years of age in 2014. Few, if any, of these players are drafted. But they are physically and mentally more mature than most drafted players in the college ranks. They are possibly more talented than many drafted players, at this point in time. But these 24 year olds are likely at their peak and their hockey careers will be over after college (other than recreational leagues, fatman's leagues, or broomball leagues). If they have future potential they would likely be somewhere else in hockey by this age.

It is nice to say how many draft picks some team has, but it does not indicated current talent. A college team of twenty-six draft picks, all 18 and 19 years old, is highly unlikely to win the NCAA tournament. It takes much more than just being drafted.

Haha apparently we think alike! I didn't see you post this while I was typing mine up.

We all just need to remember that 4 teams are making it to the Final Four and any one of them can win it all. There will only be one winner and if that's us...PERFECT!

If not...you don't fire the coach that brought you there. You thank him and the team for another extraordinary season of Fighting Sioux Hockey and wait til next year.

This has been a GREAT ride and win or lose I'm right there next year!

GO SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I hate be to the Debbie downer, but we do have talent. We have 15 draft picks.

I hate when people say we don't have talent. Sure, we don't have the usual talent that und has had in the past,

but we do have more talent than most teams

:)

Edited by Goon

UND is 14-5-1 on the first day of a two game set and 10-8-2 on the second day. (I excluded exhibition games) I wonder if this is a characteristic of being a young team and not being able to handle the physical demands of back to back games. We know UND can play better than they did against Ferris State, but it just might be the physical nature of the game against an older and more mature Wisconsin team took a physical toll. If so, the extra day of rest at the Frozen Four might be very beneficial.

He has done a fine job this season with what we have. I feel he does a lot better job with teams of lesser talent than ones that are loaded. I am not totally on or off the fire bandwagon, as he needs to better his 1-5 record in the frozen four. His 14-4 record in the regional is nothing short of spectacular, but the frozen four record really tarnishes those accomplishments. He just really needs to hang a banner and the fire Hak stuff will be gone. Unfortunately for him the longer it takes the harder it has become! Maybe this year is the year as the team is playing with house money and seems to be playing much more loose. Win or lose the rest of the way, I tip my cap to Dave, his staff, and his squad!

Is it just me or is a complaint of someone's frozen four record really pathetic?

Nothing like, this guy is a great coach, he has been to the frozen four 6 times! But rather, this guy doesn't have my vote because his frozen four record is 1-5!

Wow, all I can say is wow!

How many teams would love to have said they made it there, ever!

• Upvote 1