SiouxSports.com Forum

The gloves are now off. UND vs UMN

Goon

Like I said in the other other thread... There really isn't much difference between teams one through six. UND non-conference record is better than UMN. If you take away Minnesota's three wins against AHA cupcakes teams and Minnesota is 12-7-1. UND is 11-8-2 not much of a difference in records.

Edited by Goon

Like I said in the other other thread... There really isn't much difrerence between teams one through six. UND non-conference record is better than UMN. If you take Minnesota's three wins against AHA cupcakes teams and Minnesota is 12-7-1. UND is 11-8-2 not much of a difference in records.

That said, the Sioux really need to beat the gophers twice to split the season series to even up that comparison. Definitely need to get at least one because still have Denver and Duluth on the road where sweeping wouldn't be the norm when everyone is fighting for positioning.

they are much better on paper, but that's not where games are won.

The Sioux definitely will need Kristo, Nelson, and hopefully Knight to have a better showing than they did in Minneapolis, and hopefully the freshmen have come along enough to give us a little more offense as well. Friday night is obviously going to be huge in keeping the Sioux momentum going forward.

they are much better on paper, but that's not where games are won.

What? You're not predicting a Goofs sweep are you? I have watched the Gophers since they beat UND and they barely got the sweep and they haven't been impressive in my opinion. I going to take the high road this week and think positive.

I'm hopeful, but realistic. If it was the Gophers that just got done playing Harvard and Clarkson, they'd be added to the "cupcake" list as well. There's a reason why they are 8th in the PWR and we are 20th. Do I think the Gophers are significantly better? No. Do I think UND faces a huge uphill battle when you factor in the injuries? Yes.

With both teams healthy, I feel like we would be a slightly better team. With the health status of our guys, it pushes the favor towards Minnesota.

We do have one thing on our side this time, though. The Ralph. It's one thing to go down to Mariucci and go away without any points, but this time, it's our house, our fans, with our banners over the heads that the Gophs will have to battle.

• Upvote 1

I think both teams are in the midst of turning their season's around, as is almost traditional with each. The Sioux with a second half surge, the goofs with a second half collapse. That being said, it will take a full effort from a healthy Sioux team to sweep. Score early and score often.

Should be a great series to watch.

GO SIOUX!!!

Since coach Hakstol took the reigns UND is 15-11-3 against the Goofs. Of course some have said, "that Hak can't win the big game and he and his staff are a bunch of talent less hacks that can't recruit."

Gophers are 6-6-1 in their last 13 and are not playing good hockey right now. I think UND has a good chance to win this series especially with the home ice advantage.

Looking from afar at the Gophers, it appears the same thing is happening to them that has happened in the past 3 or 4 years. The only difference I see is that they played some cupcakes early, which might have resulted in more confidence for the team early on, which got them some wins. Those early wins against some key squads have UMN in a great place in the Pairwise right now. Talent is there, as it always is, but it appears that the talent isn't playing well as a team right now once again. I thought John Hill was the major problem, I guess there is a lot of season left for them, but if the same collapse happens, you have to look at the man with the nice new contract extension.

As far as UND, this is the most shorthanded squad I have seen since I became a fan around 25 years ago. We have a lot of guys who are playing well as a team. We have walkons playing excellent, dressing 5 D because we need our 6th D (Gleason) on Offense! I think the Ralph will be absolutely rocking this weekend, I can't wait!

I think the Fighting Irish (hopefully that will never change) exposed a flaw in Mr. Patterson in their victory last night, that a lot of people didn't think was a weakness he had. He is a good goaltender, but not the best glove hand in the world. Three of their four goals were glove side goals, and on the breakaway goal you could tell that the Irish player had watched his film and was going glove the whole way.

Need a rocking building to get this team going this next weekend. I'll predict a split, with the possibility of UND making it a three point weekend.

He has healed enough to bowl

On Live Chat last pm, either Jayson or Brad said he skated ONCE this past week. To me that is not a good sign. He has been in rehab for a knee injury for weeks now. Something isn't adding up here IMO.

I think the Fighting Irish (hopefully that will never change) exposed a flaw in Mr. Patterson in their victory last night, that a lot of people didn't think was a weakness he had. He is a good goaltender, but not the best glove hand in the world.

I noticed that as well that he gets beat short side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWBucY66ngQ

Should be a fun one. SIoux need it more which makes them dangerous. Gophers are struggling lately but they will bring it. Hopefully the freshman got a good enough taste of the rivalry in dinky town that they are ready to go. I hope sweep but i think a spilt is more likely and although i would love to see rocco back i think a can see a medical red shirt in his future. Go sioux.

Patterson's glove side weakness has been exposed a few times this year during this 6-6-1 stretch. He deffinately needs to work on that part of his game.

I have been impressed that UND is continuing to improve while being loaded with injuries. Reminds me of 2 or 3 years ago the gophers only had 5 healthy defenseman for a few weeks, but that team never made a run.

Minnesota's young defense has been struggling lately and now that they're exposed I expect a player like Kristo to watch some tape on them and take full advantage. The fact that UND needs the wins, especially against a team higher in the pairwise, will make them very dangerous in this rivalry series. That being said, UND hasn't been the greatest defensively either lately. I definitely think this series ends up in a split.

I just watched the Notre Dame/UMN game...you guys were certainly right about Patterson and his glove side weakness. On two of the goals, he doesn't even move his glove hand until after the puck is by him. Hopefully the Sioux can take advantage.

That said, unless we can get at least Forbort and Knight back (and playing well...not 60%), I'm not sure we'll have enough gas to last 120 minutes. It's crazy to think of the lineup that we could be fielding if not for all these darn injuries.

Not to be a downer, but 2 pts looks pretty good based on all the injuries for the SIOUX...

Never underestimate the power of The Ralph! I can't wait for my 4 day weekend to get up for this game. We've proven we can score goals now, even shorthanded some key players. I say Sioux take it to the Gophers 5-2, 6-1 Sioux Sweep!