SiouxSports.com Forum

The gloves are now off. UND vs UMN

Goon

The Gophers have been playing like absolute idiots when on the ice since the last time they played the Sioux. The have now been an average to bad team for more of the season than they were a good one. If the Sioux get respectable goalie play and stay out of the box it will be a sweep.

The Gophers have been playing like absolute idiots when on the ice since the last time they played the Sioux. The have now been an average to bad team for more of the season than they were a good one. If the Sioux get respectable goalie play and stay out of the box it will be a sweep.

hahahaaaa....already laying a trap, eh Sagard? ;) Bottom line is that UND is depleted big time with at least 3+ walk on players in the lineup and some of those are defensemen playing forward. It's always a battle but UND in this case should be considered lucky to get 2-3 points this weekend. Hopefully, the Ralph is cranked up and we see some good games.

hahahaaaa....already laying a trap, eh Sagard? ;) Bottom line is that UND is depleted big time with at least 3+ walk on players in the lineup and some of those are defensemen playing forward. It's always a battle but UND in this case should be considered lucky to get 2-3 points this weekend. Hopefully, the Ralph is cranked up and we see some good games.

Does anyone know what is going on with Forbort? I didn't see the hit? Any word at all?

I'm hoping for a split but if either teams sweeps this series it will be the Sioux. The Gophers just aren't very good right now but maybe a series like this will get em going.

Stick around...we may need a good 'sandbagger' this spring. :)

agreed, anything more than two points this weekend and I'll be happy considering our health situation. I don't care how the gophs are playing they are a full squad and we aren't at this point.

Stick around...we may need a good 'sandbagger' this spring. :)

It may seem like sandbagging, but the Gophers have been playing averge hockey for a couple months now. Im honestly not confident in even splitting although I still can't wait to get up to Grand Forks. It's my favorite weekend of the year.

Should be a terrific weekend, I hope the Sioux can deliver. It has been nice to see the goals and great effort coming from the whole line up instead of just the Knight line like it was early in the season.

I certainly hope Hakstol and the team take note of how UMn is able to come back even late in the game. They did it to us in Minnesota and did it to the Irish this past weekend.

Also just a little wish that someone would lay a nice hit or more on Rau. I haven't watched all of the UMn games but it seems no one has really targeted him despite how many goals he has and how much time he spends standing on the edge of the crease. As RH Peters (Bemidji State) said to us "there are no out of bounds in hockey, lets welcome this young man to our league." Go Sioux!!!

Also just a little wish that someone would lay a nice hit or more on Rau. I haven't watched all of the UMn games but it seems no one has really targeted him despite how many goals he has and how much time he spends standing on the edge of the crease. As RH Peters (Bemidji State) said to us "there are no out of bounds in hockey, lets welcome this young man to our league." Go Sioux!!!

Teams have definitely been hitting him more lately, no question. I expect the same this weekend but I really dont think it bothers Rau at all to be honest.

Should be a terrific weekend, I hope the Sioux can deliver. It has been nice to see the goals and great effort coming from the whole line up instead of just the Knight line like it was early in the season.

I certainly hope Hakstol and the team take note of how UMn is able to come back even late in the game. They did it to us in Minnesota and did it to the Irish this past weekend.

Like buckysieve said, he's been getting targeted a lot lately. Even Notre Dame was targeting him. He just keeps with it though. He's definitely used to it, he was targeted heavily in high school and took many huge hits. If anyone watched the title game last year you would have seen him get completely obliterated about 8 times, yet at the end he got the game winner in the third OT.

Teams have definitely been hitting him more lately, no question. I expect the same this weekend but I really dont think it bothers Rau at all to be honest.

Rau is not the only player that has players taking runs at him. Kristo has a lot as well, Jaden Schwartz has players taking runs at him to. It's part of the game... RIght or wrong it goes with the territory. Parise and Vanek used to have guys taking runs at them all season long.

Rau is not the only player that has players taking runs at him. Kristo has a lot as well, Jaden Schwartz has players taking runs at him to. It's part of the game... RIght or wrong it goes with the territory. Parise and Vanek used to have guys taking runs at them all season long.

Yep. As long as its not cheap there's nothing wrong with it. There's a reason Rau is paired with our two biggest forwards.

Lets recap.... who's all hurt at this time? Any new news on Forbort? How bout Rocco?

My guess is that Forbort will be in the lineup, and Rocco will be out. Forbort wanted to play against Clarkson according to numerous sources.

I'm thinking that Knight will try and give it a go as well.

In these games, puck possession is always a huge factor. Minnesota is at .517 and UND .526 in the faceoff circle.....UND relies heavily on Knight at 61% and Mario at 56%, while the Gophs rely on Bjugstad, Serratore, and Budish who are all over 58%. If Knight and Lammy are not able to go AND be close to 100% it could be a long weekend for UND.

My guess is that Forbort will be in the lineup, and Rocco will be out. Forbort wanted to play against Clarkson according to numerous sources.

I'm thinking that Knight will try and give it a go as well.

That's exactly how I see it as well. Mario, Knight and Forbort will give-it-a-go at less than 100%.

Rocco has been bowling as much or more than he has been skating from reports. No way I see him playing this weekend...or next next weekend vs. SCSU...or... When one opts not to have surgery on a knee injury and after 10 weeks of rehab that has not got you back on the ice regularly skating, that is not positive for the rest of the season IMO.

That's exactly how I see it as well. Mario, Knight and Forbort will give-it-a-go at less than 100%.

Rocco has been bowling as much or more than he has been skating from reports. No way I see him playing this weekend...or next next weekend vs. SCSU...or... When one opts not to have surgery on a knee injury and after 10 weeks of rehab that has not got you back on the ice regularly skating, that is not positive for the rest of the season IMO.

This weekend will be week 8 since they announced they were shutting him down for "6-8 weeks" on Nov. 18. According to his comments at that time, he said he wouldn't start practicing until the 6-8 weeks were up. I'm not holding my breath that he'll return this season, but it would seem to me that this next week will be decision time regarding surgery.

This weekend will be week 8 since they announced they were shutting him down for "6-8 weeks" on Nov. 18. According to his comments at that time, he said he wouldn't start practicing until the 6-8 weeks were up. I'm not holding my breath that he'll return this season, but it would seem to me that this next week will be decision time regarding surgery.

I believe his last game played was vs. the Gophs in Minny...10 weeks from this coming weekend.