SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

narrow view.....Big Ten Network's cash is generated from all sports...not just one (hockey)….One would hope UND would do likewise...if negotiating a deal….BIG not likely to add a school like UND as an affiliate...in hockey....more likely to add a school with same stature...academics, research, etc.....not just because of a single sport....therefore...ASU has a better chance than UND.....but more likely Illinois......

26 minutes ago, John W. said:

narrow view.....Big Ten Network's cash is generated from all sports...not just one (hockey)….One would hope UND would do likewise...if negotiating a deal….BIG not likely to add a school like UND as an affiliate...in hockey....more likely to add a school with same stature...academics, research, etc.....not just because of a single sport....therefore...ASU has a better chance than UND.....but more likely Illinois......

That's one heckuva run on sentence.  And this coming from someone who often uses ellipsis.  If Illinois starts hockey, they will be in the B1G.  Otherwise I agree that ASU has a better chance than UND.  I would like for UND to be in the B1G Hockey Conference (and I'm probably in the minority of UND fans), but the chances are pretty slim we ever end up there.

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Because we'll always be considered the "red-headed stepchild" that everyone wants to get rid of.

This is very true.  We would also get shafted with our hockey games and everything would be on Big10 to go or whatever backwater channel they air their hockey games on.  The midco deal is worth way more in exposure to casual ND fans than a Big Ten tv schedule would have get us in dollars.   IMO, part of the reason for the huge drop off in gopher support is the inconsistency in the tv schedule.  It used to be on FSN every night, including most away games, now they play on like 6 different channels throughout the year, if they are on TV at all.  It's too difficult for the casual fan to follow, and I think we would see interest in UND hockey drop, because locals would not be exposed to it as easily.  

With the addition of Notre Dame, and the serious potential for a Big Ten school to add the sport, I don't see how there could possibly still be an offer on the table for UND, if there ever was one, or the potential for one.  They need to keep that last spot open for a Big Ten school.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

This is very true.  We would also get shafted with our hockey games and everything would be on Big10 to go or whatever backwater channel they air their hockey games on.  The midco deal is worth way more in exposure to casual ND fans than a Big Ten tv schedule would have get us in dollars.   IMO, part of the reason for the huge drop off in gopher support is the inconsistency in the tv schedule.  It used to be on FSN every night, including most away games, now they play on like 6 different channels throughout the year, if they are on TV at all.  It's too difficult for the casual fan to follow, and I think we would see interest in UND hockey drop, because locals would not be exposed to it as easily.  

With the addition of Notre Dame, and the serious potential for a Big Ten school to add the sport, I don't see how there could possibly still be an offer on the table for UND, if there ever was one, or the potential for one.  They need to keep that last spot open for a Big Ten school.  

If there was hope, our financial weaknesses and cutting sports put the nail in the coffin. There is more talk now by non-hockey schools in the B1G about showing interest in Div I hockey.

Krabbenhoft is still talking DI for Augie, this time for donations from Bill Gates.  Bill Gates has some pull with North Dakota politicians like the Governor and Fargo/NDSU types..

http://kstp.com/business/some-boosters-want-south-dakotas-augustana-on-bigger-stage-/4962254/

He already missed the June 1st deadline for moving up to begin an exploratory year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 6:12 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

That's a band name if ever I heard one. Like if you crossed the Velvet Underground with the Dead Milkmen.

Imagine if the Hollywood Roses merged with the LA Guns. ... Oh. ... Wait ... ;)  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Merrimack is moving all it’s athletic programs to DI and the Northeast Conference except hockey of course.  Hockey East will become all DI schools.

http://northeastconference.org/news/2018/9/7/GEN_Merrimack_Joins_NEC_18.aspx

Merrimack has only 3600 undergrads with now 24 DI sports and <$60 mill endowment.  The Northeast Conference is mostly private school, but this looks good for Augustana.  The Summit needs to up its anty and be a little bit selective.

Merrimack’s strategic plan identified DI in 2011 as the place for all its athletics, but didn’t get a DI invite until 2018.  It still won’t be a full DI school until at least 2023.  Sports moves in the NCAA don’t happen overnight.  I’m been guilty of believing within a few shorts years some thing big will happen, but trolls seem to believe that nothing ever happens.

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/merrimack_valley/merrimack-college-sports-teams-jumping-to-division-i/article_bf4a1979-aa69-5e52-86c8-b7cb0319101b.html

Personnally think Robert Morris is moving out of the NEC, and this move is just to proactively maintain the NEC at 11 members.  The NEC is a beginning DI league where almost all the schools aspire to a greater conference.

• 2 weeks later...

Cent Arkansas is moving men’s soccer from the MVc  to the Sun Belt.

https://www.fox16.com/news/state-news/sun-belt-conference-adds-uca-as-associate-member-in-men-s-soccer/1460030358

Normally wouldn’t post such a mundane move such as this, but it goes to show what a predicament the Summit is in.

UCA was one of the few available DI men’s soccer teams floating around the midsection of the country to backfill when the Summit loses PUFW, and now they are gone.  The MVC and MAC are both down to six members, the minimum required for an autobid.  Since the MVC needs men’s soccer for their men’s B.B. autobid, they will get one at any cost if it comes to that.

Augustana won’t count for five years, UNC doesn’t have one, so that only leaves UMKC.  But since PUFW also has baseball, UNC is practically the only option for that.

The Summit needs to sponsor football so it can do away with the baseball and men’s soccer sponsoring requirements and keep its dance bid. 

The MVFC is not part of the MVC.  If they added another fb school like Murray St and incorporated the MVFC into the MVC, that would change things.  Any prospective FCS conference needs six football playing schools to be considered a football conference by the NCAA.  The MVFC is a single sport conference.

Its strange that both Montanas play W Illinois this year and next.  Almost like the Montanas want to form a football playing FCS conference.

According to Wikipedia.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_League

Looks like the Summit League made some moves last year to shore up another sport, and get some hooks into the MVC.  In 2017 we added Valpo, Drake and Illinois State as affiliate Men's Tennis members, bringing our # men's teams up to 8 in that sport.  Fort Wayne doesn't have Men's Tennis.

I'm not sure why it wasn't more publicized last year, but I think that is a great move.  Much better than adding affiliates that aren't legitimate targets.  Maybe there is a reason they didn't make a big deal out of it.  Targeting Horizon League and MVC teams as affiliates possibly shows intent to poach/merge with those conferences, and (very slightly) destabilizes them as well.

We also have had Eastern Illinois (OVC) as an affiliate member in multiple sports, and Valpo in Swimming.  We would be smart to try and get UNC to switch their Baseball and Women's Swimming/Diving to us from the WAC as well.

Maybe I have been too hard on Douple.  Evil genius.

11 hours ago, kiyoat said:

According to Wikipedia.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_League

Looks like the Summit League made some moves last year to shore up another sport, and get some hooks into the MVC.  In 2017 we added Valpo, Drake and Illinois State as affiliate Men's Tennis members, bringing our # men's teams up to 8 in that sport.  Fort Wayne doesn't have Men's Tennis.

I'm not sure why it wasn't more publicized last year, but I think that is a great move.  Much better than adding affiliates that aren't legitimate targets.  Maybe there is a reason they didn't make a big deal out of it.  Targeting Horizon League and MVC teams as affiliates possibly shows intent to poach/merge with those conferences, and (very slightly) destabilizes them as well.

We also have had Eastern Illinois (OVC) as an affiliate member in multiple sports, and Valpo in Swimming.  We would be smart to try and get UNC to switch their Baseball and Women's Swimming/Diving to us from the WAC as well.

Maybe I have been too hard on Douple.  Evil genius.

SIU and eastern schools of Stony Brook and UMBC which were affiliated dropped men’s tennis so the other MVC schools were forced to move for that sport.  The Summit was a convenience, nothing more.

Tennis and and swimming aren’t team sports, so gaining them don’t protect the autobid for NCAA purposes

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

The MVFC is "MV" in name only. It's actually the old (defunct) Gateway FB Conference. It runs as a branch of the Summit, not the MVC, doesn't it? 

The commissioner of the MVFC, Patty Viverito, is the Senior Associate Commissioner of the MVC (she's #2 administrator for the MVC)  Same office address. The MVFC isn't really a branch of any conference -- it's a standalone conference -- but if you were looking for connections, they exist with the MVC, not the Summit.  

The MVFC has six administrators -- five of them are also administrators of the MVC.

https://mvc-sports.com/staff.aspx

https://valley-football.org/sports/2017/6/20/GEN_0620174204.aspx

This is actually the reason why the non-MVC schools should oppose an addition of a school like Murray State to the MVFC if they are offered MVC status. Other than the fact they are a weak football school, it would also give the MVC 6 football playing schools allowing them to break off and form their own MVC football conference which would cement their auto bid status with the NCAA.

Actually, we can't do anything about it.  The MVC schools could just break on their own, add Murray State, and start MVC football.  I wouldn't be shocked if that happened to be honest.  It's no secret those schools put basketball first and complain about having to travel to the Dakotas.  They could easily form their own 7 team conference with YSU.

I'm starting to think Summit Football needs to happen once UND joins the Summit.  Do it with a friendly scheduling alliance with the MVC + Murray State for some built in OOC games.  Coax UNC over to an all-sport Summit FCS conference with Denver as their basketball travel partner.  Solves all our problems and everybody gets what they want.  Solidifies the auto bid and we don't have to talk about Augustana or UMKC ever again.

• Upvote 1