SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

On 10/28/2018 at 12:56 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Tarleton State was said to be slated for the WAC last year but nothing happened.

https://tarleton.edu/division1/documents/collegiate-consulting-division-i-fcs-benchmarking-study-march-2018.pdf

Metro State has a very small athletic budget of under $6 million.  They have built up their facilites nicely though in downtown Denver.

The WAC is just a fake screen.  Tarleton St will be a Southland conference school replacing Sam Houston and Lamar when they go to the WAC.  Metro St will be No Colo’s travel partner when the new low budget Big Sky loses schools to the Summit and WAC.

Standby for the coming hissy fits.

I'll just standby for any sort of proof of all these predicted moves. 

13 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Dixie St was another contacted by the WAC for the Big Sky.  Perfect travel partner for SUU or even NAU.

https://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=46966

Azusa Pacific and CWU will be the others beside Metro St.  Seattle may move over to Portland St, CWU, and EWU’s League.  UVU will move too, to join Dixie Dt, SUU and NAU.

According to the feasibility study, the WAC is looking into starting an FCS football conference. 

On 10/28/2018 at 12:56 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Tarleton State was said to be slated for the WAC last year but nothing happened.

https://tarleton.edu/division1/documents/collegiate-consulting-division-i-fcs-benchmarking-study-march-2018.pdf

Metro State has a very small athletic budget of under $6 million.  They have built up their facilites nicely though in downtown Denver.

The WAC is just a fake screen.  Tarleton St will be a Southland conference school replacing Sam Houston and Lamar when they go to the WAC.  Metro St will be No Colo’s travel partner when the new low budget Big Sky loses schools to the Summit and WAC.

Standby for the coming hissy fits.

So what other teams are going to join Sam Houston and Lamar in this FCS WAC?

CWU, Dixie St, Azusa Pacific, Tarleton St and UTRGV all want to move up in football, so it’s looks legit by the WAC but it is really the Big Sky that will need teams.  The WAC is just providing cover for them.  Dixie St wants to be in nearby SUU’s league, but the Montanas and Idaho absolutely hate that idea.  When the Montanas, Weber, and Idaho leave for the Summit, then the Big Sky will suddenly need new teams and will come to the rescue.

UCDavis, Sac St, Cal Poly, Sam Houston St, Lamar, UTRGV, and one other Southland school will be FBS with NMSU in the coming new WAC.  Mo St and Wichita St will join them as affiliates.  Posted this many times before but it’s apparent that you look at my posts with contempt and don’t even read them.

8 hours ago, southpaw said:

So what other teams are going to join Sam Houston and Lamar in this FCS WAC?

3 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

CWU, Dixie St, Azusa Pacific, Tarleton St and UTRGV all want to move up in football, so it’s looks legit by the WAC but it is really the Big Sky that will need teams.  The WAC is just providing cover for them.  Dixie St wants to be in nearby SUU’s league, but the Montanas and Idaho absolutely hate that idea.  When the Montanas, Weber, and Idaho leave for the Summit, then the Big Sky will suddenly need new teams and will come to the rescue.

UCDavis, Sac St, Cal Poly, Sam Houston St, Lamar, UTRGV, and one other Southland school will be FBS with NMSU in the coming new WAC.  Mo St and Wichita St will join them as affiliates.  Posted this many times before but it’s apparent that you look at my posts with contempt and don’t even read them.

bong.PNG

Metro State is and was a tough opponent in DII, basketball especially.  But this talk about FCS for the WAC has them barking up the wrong tree with Metro State, as they don’t have fb and can’t afford it.  That is why think the UNC now needs a neighboring school for travel reasons in the soon to be slimmed down and cheaper Big Sky.  But the Big Sky will tell anyone before the schools do.

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/after-35-years-as-top-contenders-in-division-ii-metro-state-considers-division-i

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Attempting to clarify:

The Montanas, Weber and Idaho know they're leaving the BS for the Summit, but need to pretend to be upset that Dixie St. may join the BS because of SUU. The BS doesn't know this is happening because otherwise they would be inviting teams now. However, the WAC knows it is happening and is just pretending to start an FCS conference to get more teams for the BS.  

The WAC is actually restarting its FBS portion and inviting 7 schools to move up to join NMSU. Yet no consulting reports have been completed by any of those schools. 

Dixie St, Tarleton and a few others are being scammed by the WAC when they were invited to apply as the WAC knows they'll never take them. But the Big Sky is clueless to the fact they'll lose 5 big schools, plus 2 FB affiliates. However, the WAC is helping the BS because then those schools won't have to do new reports when it comes time to join the BS vs the WAC?

Lots of schools and people in the know and not one leak to the press or the Big Sky?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

Attempting to clarify:

The Montanas, Weber and Idaho know they're leaving the BS for the Summit, but need to pretend to be upset that Dixie St. may join the BS because of SUU. The BS doesn't know this is happening because otherwise they would be inviting teams now. However, the WAC knows it is happening and is just pretending to start an FCS conference to get more teams for the BS.  

The WAC is actually restarting its FBS portion and inviting 7 schools to move up to join NMSU. Yet no consulting reports have been completed by any of those schools. 

Dixie St, Tarleton and a few others are being scammed by the WAC when they were invited to apply as the WAC knows they'll never take them. But the Big Sky is clueless to the fact they'll lose 5 big schools, plus 2 FB affiliates. However, the WAC is helping the BS because then those schools won't have to do new reports when it comes time to join the BS vs the WAC?

Lots of schools and people in the know and not one leak to the press or the Big Sky?

For being a athletic department employee, your one of the most clueless people out there as far as realignment.

SUU was never academically embraced by the Montanas, but forced on them as a travel compromise by other Big Sky schools by the Montanas insistence of adding UND and USD in response to the Big Sky’s ho hum view of academics and research which was evident after Northridge St and Sac St got bids.  Cal St U’s are prohibited from even offering most PhDs and their research is minimal.  The Dakotas are most like the Montanas and Idaho academically and research wise than any current Big Sky school, so their President will feel a compelling need to switch.  Any research academic institution would not be keen on a former JC like a Dixie St that has practically no research component.  Boise St will take a generation or more to become acceptable to Presidents even in the MWC as they only got added because of their football performance and money generating ability.

Here’s a recent article on U of Maryland’s President who orchestrated the move to the Big Ten and bigger money.  The athletic department wasn’t aware that there were switching until it happened.  These athletic departments switches are made mostly at the Presidential level.  Even the AD might not know anything concrete except maybe  asking a generic question by the President like “If we had an opportunity for the Big Ten, what would be your response?”.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/higher-ed/bs-md-maryland-wallace-loh-ouster-20181030-story.html

I can understand SV's vision of better western alignments by academics via athletic conferences. It makes sense. For example Idaho >>> SUU academically. 

And SV is correct in that presidents make the decisions and ADs are directed to act and may not always be in the know until directed. 

All that said, 'paw is correct in the assessment that there are a lot of moving parts here and no seals have failed*.

Allow me one observation of my own: If the northern tier of the BSC were to jump to say an FCS Summit you'd need an emissary, a bridge between the western group (UI, UM, MSU, EWU, WSU) and the Summit group (UxDs, xDSUs, UNO, DU, **). That bridge? Well ... seems to me that UND's AD is formerly the AD at EWU. 

*That's a way of saying nothing has leaked so far. ;) 

**See my post on p199 of this thread saying this group would need one more BB-only school to make 9FB/12BB. 

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

For being a athletic department employee, your one of the most clueless people out there as far as realignment.

SUU was never academically embraced by the Montanas, but forced on them as a travel compromise by other Big Sky schools by the Montanas insistence of adding UND and USD in response to the Big Sky’s ho hum view of academics and research which was evident after Northridge St and Sac St got bids.  Cal St U’s are prohibited from even offering most PhDs and their research is minimal.  The Dakotas are most like the Montanas and Idaho academically and research wise than any current Big Sky school, so their President will feel a compelling need to switch.  Any research academic institution would not be keen on a former JC like a Dixie St that has practically no research component.  Boise St will take a generation or more to become acceptable to Presidents even in the MWC as they only got added because of their football performance and money generating ability.

Here’s a recent article on U of Maryland’s President who orchestrated the move to the Big Ten and bigger money.  The athletic department wasn’t aware that there were switching until it happened.  These athletic departments switches are made mostly at the Presidential level.  Even the AD might not know anything concrete except maybe  asking a generic question by the President like “If we had an opportunity for the Big Ten, what would be your response?”.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/education/higher-ed/bs-md-maryland-wallace-loh-ouster-20181030-story.html

None of that answered anything I posted. Please tell me, who knows about all of these moves that are about to happen? Presidents would be the first answer obviously but in my experience, most conference moves at least have significant rumours or leaks before any announcement. The second answer is clearly you, somehow. 

There are so many universities involved in your predictions, someone outside of the presidents must know. Who are they? 

3 hours ago, southpaw said:

None of that answered anything I posted. Please tell me, who knows about all of these moves that are about to happen? Presidents would be the first answer obviously but in my experience, most conference moves at least have significant rumours or leaks before any announcement. The second answer is clearly you, somehow. 

There are so many universities involved in your predictions, someone outside of the presidents must know. Who are they? 

The Montanas seriously must have gone to bat for us in the Big Sky as we were the right academic and research type.  They were so tired of the rest of the Big Sky dictating to them who they associated with based on easy travel, lack of fans bases, and presumed media coverage. They have had it with the Sac St and Northridge St choices.

Mont St had a study and expanded their stadium for FBS and improved the practice facilities, Montanas AD O’Day said their future will be even either FBS or DII and improved their stadium facilities, Weber St improved their fb facilities, Idaho needs close drive to partners for FBS instead of flying around the country continually.  They are acting like FBS is in their future so it is a high probability it is. EWU threw in the towel on a FBS stadium expansion because that school has no major donors, hence Chaves came here.  I’ve been in the corporate world and forecast moves that stunned my fellow employees just based on press releases, such as major job layoffs, mergers, buying other plants, buying other technology etc.  If you know a business, you can often forecast Presidents possible moves.  The CFP million dollar or more payout gives FCS a major incentive to move up that has never existed before.   The Presidents know what they plan, the Commissioners know in this case, the Foundation heads probably know, and the ADs might know (in Chaves case he was probably told it was a do or die situation).  NMSU and Idaho are not just floundering around in the background but have very specific plans that they have talked with and formulated plans with other Presidents going back years to get a CFP payment when the next contract is renegotiated.

The Metro St, Tarleton St, CWU, and Dixie St are the most viable DII moveups that can be forecasted if FBS moves happen.  If things were status quo in the background, they wouldnt happen simultaneously.

13 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The Metro St, Dixie St, Tarleton St, CWU, and Dixie St are the most viable DII moveups that can be forecasted if FBS moves happen.  If things were status quo in the background, they wouldnt happen simultaneously.

That, frankly, is the best data point you've been able to point to, namely, why are all of these making the same noises at the same time. Quite the curious coincidence if it is. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That, frankly, is the best data point you've been able to point to, namely, why are all of these making the same noises at the same time. Quite the curious coincidence if it is. 

Why is it happening? Read the dang reports. In 3 of the 4 cases he mentioned, the schools have all been contacted by the WAC about possibly joining including a WAC FCS football conference. 

It's in the schools' reports and get SV just can't believe that really is all there is to it.

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

Why is it happening? Read the dang reports. In 3 of the 4 cases he mentioned, the schools have all been contacted by the WAC about possibly joining including a WAC FCS football conference. 

It's in the schools' reports and get SV just can't believe that really is all there is to it.

You mean organizations don’t create fake news for their own purpose?  Wow.

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

You mean organizations don’t create fake news for their own purpose?  Wow.

Very rarely in collegiate sports. There are too many bridges in athletics that you don't want to burn them.  Just a few years ago, the WAC was on life support. Now it has some schools without major ties. It's trying to strengthen those ties with schools willing to move up to FCS.

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

I’ve been in the corporate world and forecast moves that stunned my fellow employees just based on press releases, such as major job layoffs, mergers, buying other plants, buying other technology etc.  If you know a business, you can often forecast Presidents possible moves.

The Metro St, Tarleton St, CWU, and Dixie St are the most viable DII moveups that can be forecasted if FBS moves happen.

Yet, despite that experience in corporate forecasting, you've missed completely and continually with your college sports predictions. 

You remind me of an orange haired fellow* who thinks his business experience helps him in other venues, yet is the laughing stock of America and the world.  When confronted with continuously being wrong, you cry fake news and throw out another crazy idea.  Prime example, you declared UND wouldn't go to the Summit, but now they're playing a full Summit schedule. However, you're now claiming it's part of a plot to lure the 4 BS members to the Summit.

Those schools you listed are ALSO the most viable move ups if no FBS moves happen.  We are talking about a completely new FCS FB conference in the West. When in the last time that happened? 

*not meant as a political post but the best, and most widely known, comparison I could think of this morning. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

Very rarely in collegiate sports. There are too many bridges in athletics that you don't want to burn them.  Just a few years ago, the WAC was on life support. Now it has some schools without major ties. It's trying to strengthen those ties with schools willing to move up to FCS.

Yet, despite that experience in corporate forecasting, you've missed completely and continually with your college sports predictions. 

You remind me of an orange haired fellow* who thinks his business experience helps him in other venues, yet is the laughing stock of America and the world.  When confronted with continuously being wrong, you cry fake news and throw out another crazy idea.  Prime example, you declared UND wouldn't go to the Summit, but now they're playing a full Summit schedule. However, you're now claiming it's part of a plot to lure the 4 BS members to the Summit.

Those schools you listed are ALSO the most viable move ups if no FBS moves happen.  We are talking about a completely new FCS FB conference in the West. When in the last time that happened? 

*not meant as a political post but the best, and most widely known, comparison I could think of this morning. 

You are so right and so bright.  I hereby resign as the Siouxsports realignment director and appoint that noted scholar Southpaw, who is so talented but hasn’t brought forward one original thought except criticism, so this will be his chance.  UND and the Summit are just hopelessly floundering with only former NCC schools and he will expand the footprint to Mankato, Rapid City, and Bismarck.

His bright ideas to embrace IPFW and W Illinois as fellow Summit schools should be heeded.  Imagine all the Sioux fans that will flock to Fort Wayne and Macomb.  The experience will be so much greater than even Vegas.  Why need a game in Nashville when the Summit already has Macomb?

I’m sure that cberkas and Goon will assist with their brain power and maybe if we are lucky Bemidji St and Michigan Tech-Houghton can be added to those illustrious Summit Cities. 

The Montanas and Idaho are just too out of our league and we would never win.

I stand by the following statements:

1. The Summit is one school away from being in trouble with its BB autobids, and that one school is any one of about four schools. 
2. The split between haves and have nots in the Big Sky is bad and will only get worse and will probably contribute to fracture (see: WCHA realignment as example). 
3. Something will give, or break, or change, and western conference realignments will occur, primarily affecting football. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I stand by the following statements:

1. The Summit is one school away from being in trouble with its BB autobids, and that one school is any one of about four schools. 
2. The split between haves and have nots in the Big Sky is bad and will only get worse and will probably contribute to fracture (see: WCHA realignment as example). 
3. Something will give, or break, or change, and western conference realignments will occur, primarily affecting football. 

1. The Dakota 4 are probably pretty stable at this time. Maybe Denver and Omaha due to hockey connection?

2. Are Eastern Wahington and Weber considered haves or have nots?

3. Inevitable, but how long will it take until it implodes?

6 minutes ago, zonadub said:

1. The Dakota 4 are probably pretty stable at this time. Maybe Denver and Omaha due to hockey connection?

2. Are Eastern Wahington and Weber considered haves or have nots?

3. Inevitable, but how long will it take until it implodes?

1A. Think: Fort Wayne or WIU. Either of them go and the BB autobid goes
2A. Yes. ;) *
3A. Greed and egos are involved so sooner than later. 

*OK, OK, my assessment is Chaves left EWU for Grand Forks so "not" for EWU. Weber I don't know much about.  

The academic side of greed is not emphasized enough. 

The SEC only added AAU schools in the last round:  Mizzou and T A&M.

The PAC10 wanted AAUs Texas and Colorado but had to settle for a very high research school Utah.

The B1G got a trifecta of AAU’s:  Nebraska (at the time),  Rutgers, and Maryland.

Meanwhile, the Summit back in 1997 lost almost its entire assortment of midwest schools to the Horizon and had to backfill with the most bizarre collection of schools ever:  SUU, UMKC, Central Conn St, Troy, Buffalo, Centenary, NE Illinois (which has abandoned athletics) and Chicago St, most of them moveups with much more lenient transition rules at the time just to survive and live on.  Western Illinois was refused graduation with their fellow compatriots so they have been stuck forever a DII gloried moveup League.  Eastern Illinois, which was also rebuffed, chose to downsize its competition in the OVC.  UMKC was just starting on their time of perpetual DI futility.  DII RMAC didn’t want SUU at the time so they were forced to move to DI.   Pretty telling on the Weber St board that they cringe at the prospect of being in a league with SUU, Dixie St and UVU.  

Weber St has more or less graduated from a commuter school moniker and don’t have a former JC moniker like Dixie St, Boise, and UVU.  It’s an Ogden version of Fresno St.

Montana U and Idaho U presidents look around at their Big Sky neighbors and they have barf bags ready.  Better to combine the best of the Summit with the best of the Big Sky and one will have a long lived conference where everybody is happy except Southpaw, Goon, cberkas, jdubs, and the bison trolls as UND shouldn’t be in it.  But since Southpaw is now Siouxsports realignment director, better be nice to him.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:32 AM, SiouxVolley said:

You are so right and so bright.  I hereby resign as the Siouxsports realignment director and appoint that noted scholar Southpaw, who is so talented but hasn’t brought forward one original thought except criticism, so this will be his chance.  UND and the Summit are just hopelessly floundering with only former NCC schools and he will expand the footprint to Mankato, Rapid City, and Bismarck.

His bright ideas to embrace IPFW and W Illinois as fellow Summit schools should be heeded.  Imagine all the Sioux fans that will flock to Fort Wayne and Macomb.  The experience will be so much greater than even Vegas.  Why need a game in Nashville when the Summit already has Macomb?

I’m sure that cberkas and Goon will assist with their brain power and maybe if we are lucky Bemidji St and Michigan Tech-Houghton can be added to those illustrious Summit Cities. 

The Montanas and Idaho are just too out of our league and we would never win.

Considering you have NEVER been correct in any of your move up FBS predictions  its the only right thing to do as you did promise to do that.