SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

I believe this is the first recruiting weekend since before Christmas, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if we hear of some more commitments in the next few days.

I'm new to Sioux Football and not familiar with the past recruiting classes. The 2008 class looks very impressive( from Dan Edem(TE) to Ian Rosario(OL) and Mitch Sutton(RB)..just to name a few), do you have the same impression?

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to Sioux Football and not familiar with the past recruiting classes. The 2008 class looks very impressive( from Dan Edem(TE) to Ian Rosario(OL) and Mitch Sutton(RB)..just to name a few), do you have the same impression?

I think that so far, this class appears quite good. Last year's was very impressive on paper as well, and three players from that class actually played as true freshmen, which is quite unusual at UND. I would love to see a few more commitments from some of the high-end talents such as Damon Campbell, Tyrell Rosemeyer and Jon Heimler, plus a few more offensive linemen (Andrew Anderson from Crookston, perhaps?) and also a couple of immediate juco transfer defensive players. If that should happen, this class has the potential to be special.

He was never offered by NDSU, fact! One of the OL coaches liked him while the OC didn't like him so a scholarship was actually never extended.

Technically, you are correct. NDSU told him they had scholarship money available for him, 1/2 to a full ride. They wanted him to visit in January. He verballed to the Sioux in December. That is a fact!

Anyone know who was in for a recruiting visit over the weekend? I know there was a kicker from Apple Vally but I am sure there were many others!

Among those visiting this weekend were apparently Osseo RB Marcus Sims, Maple Grove RB-LB Ethan Magstadt, Minneapolis DeLaSalle DL Devin Benjamin and Jon Heimler, who has been discussed previously on this board.

Benjamin made multiple first team all state teams this year as an offensive lineman, but he was a very good defensive lineman as well and I'm fairly sure he's being recruited as a nose guard. At least in terms of size, he appears to be exactly what you want at the nose (6'2", 285).

Sioux get another verbal commitment from 6'5" 315lb offensive lineman Ian Rosario out of Alaska. Had an official visit to the University of Washington and they offered him a walk-on. I believe Washington State was going to ask him to do the same. Big pickup for the Sioux.

Rosario was fifth on the University of Washington OL recruiting depth chart. They were orginally going to take 5 O-lineman but Coach Willingham changed his mind. Washington State has been be quite since there coaching change.

Rosario Scout.com profile

You are getting a really big-strong kid. His HS coach was also Kuper's head coach. With his 6'6" frame and growth potential in the upper body, he could easily carry 320lbs(310lbs right now). He has a massive lower body. 2007 1st Team Coach's and Alaskapreps All-State OT. No one in Alaska can even come close to handling him.

New commit--Jason Obarski, kicker, Apple Valley. Named all state by the Pioneer Press and "special mention" all state by the AP.

EDIT: Does this count as confirmation so as to add his name to the wiki list? :Dlink

Not that it may not be true, but he really throws whoever blocks for him under the bus with the blocked kicks comment down the page.

I'm not a rivals subscriber, so I can't read this entire article, but I don't like the sound of this...link

As some may recall, UND had a verbal commitment from a kid by the name of Cody Rose last year, but then he ended up going to Wisconsin as a preferred walk-on. Hopefully history isn't going to repeat itself.

EDIT: Never mind--false alarm. :D

That's an interesting quote from the recruit. Apparently UND coaches are telling recruits the outdoor stadium with a retractible roof is a done deal. Do you suppose they are also telling them that the Big 12 and Big 10 are fighting over them and they will be joining one of those conferences?

That's an interesting quote from the recruit. Apparently UND coaches are telling recruits the outdoor stadium with a retractible roof is a done deal. Do you suppose they are also telling them that the Big 12 and Big 10 are fighting over them and they will be joining one of those conferences?

Is someone jealous......

Is someone jealous......

UND will join the Big 10.

Hockey will be the deciding factor. The WCHA is keeping BSU in close company so they can help fill in the voids when UND, UM, and UW leave when the Big 10 adds hockey.

The Big 10 will then proceed to split into 2 divisions, much like the SEC and Big 12. This will allow them to have a football conference championship game.

Another effect will be that my other school, Notre Dame, will never become a Big 10 member.

This is such a stupid post, it's hard to know where to begin. Not only are UND coaches NOT saying this, what the hell difference would it make to this particular recruit anyway? IF the stadium is built, the best case scenario is 15-20 years down the road. nd1sufan, please return to bisonville and continue posting under the name "Mr. Burgundy", where you started a smack-filled thread of your own.

UND will join the Big 10.

Hockey will be the deciding factor. The WCHA is keeping BSU in close company so they can help fill in the voids when UND, UM, and UW leave when the Big 10 adds hockey.

The Big 10 will then proceed to split into 2 divisions, much like the SEC and Big 12. This will allow them to have a football conference championship game.

Another effect will be that my other school, Notre Dame, will never become a Big 10 member.

Is this same as all the talk of joining the Big Sky?

Here's the quote in question from the link:

“I just committed to North Dakota,” Heimler told WisFootball.net Sunday afternoon.

There were a number of factors that entered into his decision and Heimler discussed each of them.

Facilities - “The facilities there were great and most of them very new. They are also about to build a brand new indoor practice field as well as a brand new stadium with a retractable roof.”

Coaches and players - “What I really liked about North Dakota was how nice and easy going the coaches and players were. It had a real team atmosphere with a lot of tradition. They have the same type of program as Menomonie, so the transition should be easy.”

Academics - “As far as academics go, I am going into pre-med and they have the programs and courses that will help get me into med school. They put a big emphasis on grades and school which is important to me.”

“All in all it was just the right fit for me with the city, the school, and the football program,” Heimler explained.

Now whether the coaches straight up lied to him or he wasn't smart enough to figure out that it was just for show, that's up for debate.