SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no price tag to put on a school's good name and basic integrity. I trust that integrity would follow the donated gift of a ND farmer.

you do realize that it was the State Board of Higher Education that made the decision before to keep the nickname right? FOR the millionth time, IT WAS NOT UND WHO MADE THE DECISION. what did you people want President Kupchella to do....go to the Governor and ask him to change the board's mind. The board is the President's boss and I hate to tell you but the governor would have just laughed at President Kupchella if he had done the afore mentioned scenario. Integrity following a donated gift by a farmer would depend on the farmer....which by the way if you find a farmer that has an extra 100 million dollars lying around, tell him to spread the knowledge of how to get it. I know many farmers who would love that knowledge including two in my own family.

http://www.wissports.net/sports/football/a...e.asp?nid=14674

Cavil has decommitted in favor of Southern Illinois.

When you arrive in Carbondale and find the recruiting class in shambles, you throw integrity out the window.

However, If the kid wanted to play for Dale then it is how it is I guess.

I think it was a bit of both, which is very disappointing, on both ends.

When you arrive in Carbondale and find the recruiting class in shambles, you throw integrity out the window.

However, If the kid wanted to play for Dale then it is how it is I guess.

I think it was a bit of both, which is very disappointing, on both ends.

I believe he actually committed to UND after Lennon announced he was taking the SIU job. :angry:

Anyway, some apparent good news--according to a pretty reputable poster on the minnesotapreps.com board, Minneapolis DeLaSalle defensive lineman Devin Benjamin has committed to UND.

Evidently I''m a dinosaur that believes that "verbal commitment" means something.

It hasn't for a while now.

I don't know if you have much time to read or care to, but there's a great book on football recruiting in the SEC. It's a bit older (maybe 90s-ish) but interesting. Can't think of the title at the moment.

This type of stuff has been going on down there for decades.

It hasn't for a while now.

I don't know if you have much time to read or care to, but there's a great book on football recruiting in the SEC. It's a bit older (maybe 90s-ish) but interesting. Can't think of the title at the moment.

This type of stuff has been going on down there for decades.

So the $64 question is what good is a verbal commitment? Nobody is binded by it. It serves little or no purpose. Bottom line is that you can't trust a kid, or a coach until they run on to the field on Saturdays.

I thought this article in the Strib yesterday was kind of interesting: link

Cretin-Derham Hall's Michael Floyd went a step further, changing his cell phone number twice to avoid the deluge of texts and calls.

"People were always calling," he said.

Champlin Park's Sam Maresh probably would have faced the same recruiting blitzkrieg had he not given a verbal commitment to the Gophers back in April. He's even more thankful now.

"It took a lot of pressure off me," he said.

I find it funny, actually not funny but annoying, that a lot of the post lately have come from the ag college followers. It's amazing how much these guys are dialed into anything and everything. Very impressive. I mean they got it all down ncaa rules, recruiting, everything!! quite impressive I must say myself. Now they should quit showing off and go away........seriously.

It comes down to integrity ... from all directions.

- coaches holding to commitments made out to kids

- kids making sound decisions they know they can back up before saying anything

- opposing coaches respecting the kids and their coaching peers

If you go to your grave with just one thing left in this world and it's your integrity you've led a good life.

I believe he actually committed to UND after Lennon announced he was taking the SIU job. :angry:

Anyway, some apparent good news--according to a pretty reputable poster on the minnesotapreps.com board, Minneapolis DeLaSalle defensive lineman Devin Benjamin has committed to UND.

I certainly hope this is fact - Benjamin is a stud!!

I think the following is why many of us are having a hard time understanding how Coach Lennon would recruit a kid known to already be committed to UND. The change in NCAA classifications really shouldn't make that big of a difference. Even had Cavil simply decided he no longer wanted to go to UND for whatever reason, I really wouldn't have expected Lennon to recruit him under the circumstances, because that would seem to be the exact same situation as what occurred with the Anderson kid last year.

Last year, a St Paul Central kid committed to Augustana, then later committed to UND (without Lennon knowing of the prior commitment.) Lennon then withdrew the scholarship offer., and the kid went on to sign with Augie (but is no longer found on their roster). There are "unwritten" ethical rules that are followed, but anything goes, especially at the higher IA level.

I think the following is why many of us are having a hard time understanding how Coach Lennon would recruit a kid known to already be committed to UND. The change in NCAA classifications really shouldn't make that big of a difference. Even had Cavil simply decided he no longer wanted to go to UND for whatever reason, I really wouldn't have expected Lennon to recruit him under the circumstances, because that would seem to be the exact same situation as what occurred with the Anderson kid last year.

If Coach Lennon brought this kid to campus knowing he had verballed to UND, I'd be very disappointed, not to mention shocked. If this young man called Lennon, Schmidt, etc. and said, "Hey, I want to play for you". Then it wouldn't be Dale's fault for the kid changing his mind. Still, most coaches tell their recruits to stay at the institution that recruited them, not the coach. I can cite how that has been over the last 10 years. It isn't worth writing about now but if this continues, I'll give more details. :angry:

If Coach Lennon brought this kid to campus knowing he had verballed to UND, I'd be very disappointed, not to mention shocked. If this young man called Lennon, Schmidt, etc. and said, "Hey, I want to play for you". Then it wouldn't be Dale's fault for the kid changing his mind. Still, most coaches tell their recruits to stay at the institution that recruited them, not the coach. I can cite how that has been over the last 10 years. It isn't worth writing about now but if this continues, I'll give more details. :angry:

I guess I'd have less of a problem with this but for Cavil's post-Lennon-departure commitment to UND. He knew the situation here when he committed.

I say if they are having second thoughts it might be best not to have them stay and be unhappy and possibly create a less than desirable lockerroom presence. Not saying this kid would have done that, but he has a right to go where he will be happy. Remember, many of us had no problem with Jason Gregoire changing his committment to Denver in hockey. What does bother me is recruiting a player after he has verballed. But you know the old saying, what goes around comes around. Don't know the specifics on the Cavil case, so I won't comment on that situation.