SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Recruiting 2008

star2city

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence, "unwritten" rule.

Last year, a St Paul Central kid committed to Augustana, then later committed to UND (without Lennon knowing of the prior commitment.) Lennon then withdrew the scholarship offer., and the kid went on to sign with Augie (but is no longer found on their roster). There are "unwritten" ethical rules that are followed, but anything goes, especially at the higher IA level. It's possible that when Mussman found out the kid was going to visit NDSU after the UND commitment, Mussman formally withdrew the offer out of principle.

Last year, a St Paul Central kid committed to Augustana, then later committed to UND (without Lennon knowing of the prior commitment.) Lennon then withdrew the scholarship offer., and the kid went on to sign with Augie (but is no longer found on their roster). There are "unwritten" ethical rules that are followed, but anything goes, especially at the higher IA level. It's possible that when Mussman found out the kid was going to visit NDSU after the UND commitment, Mussman formally withdrew the offer out of principle.

I really doubt UND withdrew an offer based upon the player making a visit to another school.

I really doubt UND withdrew an offer based upon the player making a visit to another school.

That's not what was implied. If a student makes a commitment to an offer, and then continues to make other visits, that's an integrity issue. A player receiving an offer, makes no firm commitment and continues other school visits is perfectly legit.

You're still thinking in terms of DII.

That's normal in DI.

Do you mean Division I football or Division I in general? I would find it hard to believe that Hakstol would have a player come in for a visit after the player had verbally committed to Minnesota.

Integrity should have no bounds, whether it is Division I or NAIA, football or hockey.

It was well known, and surprised no one in MN when Bielema at Wisconsin continued recruiting David Gilreath although he had already verballed to the U of M. He was a star kick returner for the badgers this year. There are no sacred cows.

It was well known, and surprised no one in MN when Bielema at Wisconsin continued recruiting David Gilreath although he had already verballed to the U of M. He was a star kick returner for the badgers this year. There are no sacred cows.

This sort of thing happens all the time. Anybody that thinks other coaches quit contacting prospects after they verbal have their heads stuck in the sand.

When the Northern Illinois head coaching position opened up, most of NDSU's verbals from ND, SD, MN, and WI were contacted by up to four other coaching staffs stating that Bohl was leaving for Northern Illinois.

DI football (mostly FBS, but also at the very top level of FCS) is a business.

Most of the NCAA sports are just that, sport. But at the top level, football and men's basketball are not a whole lot different than the NFL and NBA, other than more teams and you don't pay the players directly.

Call me naive, old fashioned or out of it, but it would seem to me that once an athlete has made a decision, the other teams should respect that and not continue to recruit him. If the athlete make a verbal commitment I would hope that he should have some integrity of his own and sign with the team with whom he made that commitment. There of course exceptions.

When the coach that recruited you suddenly leaves prior to signing day and you are unsure of the status of the school that you signed with, you should have an opportunity to reconsider your decision. I think that is why Mussman went and visited with each of the athletes ensuring that they were still committed to UND.

In the case of the kicker from Apple Valley, I'm not sure that he was ever considered committed to UND, as there was nothing in the GFH like there was with other committed players. I'm sure if something had been in the GFH, Bohl wouldn't have had him in for a visit. Bohl is a good coach and I believe would respectful of an athletes decision.

Maybe he found out UND is not really building a retractable roof stadium! ???

If (or when : :angry: ) this retractable roof really happens, could you imagine the reaction in certain quarters? There would be so many bricks sh*t by NDSU fans that they could appropriately brick their BSA.

If (or when : :angry: ) this retractable roof really happens, could you imagine the reaction in certain quarters? There would be so many bricks sh*t by NDSU fans that they could appropriately brick their BSA.

Yeah you could pack 5,000 people into a stadium that holds 30,000. :LOL! That would look like the Metrodome during a high school game. Either way it's pretty funny that you really think it's going to happen. Start by getting a confernce. Then start selling out the dinky shed. Then try to book a home game against a team that is not D2, not non scholorship, and has a winning record.

There would be so many bricks sh*t by NDSU fans that they could appropriately brick their BSA.

Lord knows, that ugly white box needs something.

In that sense, it's too bad that the BSA renovation money is going to be put toward the Fargodome bball arena expansion.

But we need that new arena more than we need a remodeled BSA at this point.

Hopefully both will happen relatively soon.

Lord knows, that ugly white box needs something.

In that sense, it's too bad that the BSA renovation money is going to be put toward the Fargodome bball arena expansion.

But we need that new arena more than we need a remodeled BSA at this point.

Hopefully both will happen relatively soon.

I am comfortable with NDSU and Fargo having to work hard and fundraise to put the facilities that are needed in place, even if it takes some time. I believe that this method of getting the facilities thing done is much preferrable than being hostage to 1 major doner that just gives you everything you want, and ties strings and loopholes to each donation. Often times the kid that is more successful is the one that actually has to work for his success.

I am comfortable with NDSU and Fargo having to work hard and fundraise to put the facilities that are needed in place, even if it takes some time. I believe that this method of getting the facilities thing done is much preferrable than being hostage to 1 major doner that just gives you everything you want, and ties strings and loopholes to each donation. Often times the kid that is more successful is the one that actually has to work for his success.

You can't be stupid enough to believe you can come to this site and take that kind of cheap shot at the Englestad family. If some farmer (lol) offered to build you tools a new arena in Fargo for $100 million dollars, you'd take the offer in a minute. For the 1 millionth time, THERE ARE NO STRINGS ATTACHED TO THE BUILDINGS HERE AT UND. This why Bisonville exists. Go take your stupid ass cheap shots over there where you'll be appreciated. ???

Did you think before you typed this? Do you truly Ralph Engelstad didn't work for his success to be able to donate 110+ million to UND in an arena and scholarships? At UND, it's a family. Once you're an alumni, it's ok to give back when you have become extremely successful. Trust me, UND is working hard and fundraising it's money.

Just because we had 1 alumni donate an insane amount of money is no reason to be spiteful.

You can't be stupid enough to believe you can come to this site and take that kind of cheap shot at the Englestad family. If some farmer (lol) offered to build you tools a new arena in Fargo for $100 million dollars, you'd take the offer in a minute. For the 1 millionth time, THERE ARE NO STRINGS ATTACHED TO THE BUILDINGS HERE AT UND. This why Bisonville exists. Go take your stupid ass cheap shots over there where you'll be appreciated. ???

It'll take a lot of cow college grads selling their prize pigs to raise that kind of money, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that to happen.

What a complete tool. Once again you have proven how uninformed you really are.

There is no price tag to put on a school's good name and basic integrity. I trust that integrity would follow the donated gift of a ND farmer.

There is no price tag to put on a school's good name and basic integrity. I trust that integrity would follow the donated gift of a ND farmer.

And there is no justification for a man? from another University to come here and tear down a man who went to Vegas, started his own company from nothing, turned it into Billions of dollars, and then gave back to a place that meant more to him than any other place in the world. Like I said, Go away. Tell to your Bison folk somewhere else.

Coming to this website to insult the people of UND is pointless.