SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 schedule

jimdahl

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're on a UND is going to get into the gateway?

That is probably what will have to happen for NDSU and UND to start playing again every year.

And it is plausible.

You'd need Indiana State to drop and another team to leave.

Then add UND/USD.

Probably talking 5 years down the road here.

The following are the dII teams still apparently seeking games for either the last Saturday in August, or for September 1 (per d2football.com):

Catawba (NC)

Charleston (WV)

Glenville St. (WV)

Lincoln (MO)

Mary

Missouri Southern

North Alabama

Tiffin (OH)

Washburn (KS)

I-AA (per afca.org)

Jacksonville St. (AL)

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like UND will be playing Mesa State again as a non-conference game, and the Sept. 1 date could potentially be NDSU. Southern Utah is also still a possibility. link.

I've looked a couple times but this is still the only mention of their 2007 schedule I can find on SUU's website (I found the picture rather enjoyable! hehe). I'm guessing they are waiting to see what is decided as far as the Great West. Sounds like we should know more by the end of the month.

Dated Feb. 5th

2007 SUU Schedule (tentative)

Date / Opponent / Time

Sept. 1 / At Montana / Noon

Sept. 8 / Open

Sept. 15 / Southern Illinois / 6:00

Sept. 22 / McNeese State / 6:00

Sept. 29 / Open

Oct. 6 / At Montana State / TBA

Oct. 13 / At Youngstown State / TBA

Oct. 20 / UC Davis* / 1:00

Oct. 27 / At North Dakota State* / 1:00

Nov. 3 / Cal Poly* / 1:00

Nov. 10 / At South Dakota State* / 1:00

Nov. 17 / At Northern Iowa / TBA

*Great West Conference game

I've looked a couple times but this is still the only mention of their 2007 schedule I can find on SUU's website (I found the picture rather enjoyable! hehe). I'm guessing they are waiting to see what is decided as far as the Great West. Sounds like we should know more by the end of the month.

Dated Feb. 5th

2007 SUU Schedule (tentative)

Date / Opponent / Time

Sept. 1 / At Montana / Noon

Sept. 8 / Open

Sept. 15 / Southern Illinois / 6:00

Sept. 22 / McNeese State / 6:00

Sept. 29 / Open

Oct. 6 / At Montana State / TBA

Oct. 13 / At Youngstown State / TBA

Oct. 20 / UC Davis* / 1:00

Oct. 27 / At North Dakota State* / 1:00

Nov. 3 / Cal Poly* / 1:00

Nov. 10 / At South Dakota State* / 1:00

Nov. 17 / At Northern Iowa / TBA

*Great West Conference game

Another GWFC looking for a home game....interesting.

Looks like you guys are playing SUU on September 8th.....

http://www.suu.edu/athletics/football/skedrelease07.html

Thanks for the link. That seems like a pretty winnable game for the Sioux, but with an inexperienced quarterback and the loss of a lot of seniors on defense, any road game is bound to be tough. You have to give SUU credit--that's a very tough schedule.

SUU is decent, they have a lot of players coming back next year. But with the schedule they are playing they'll struggle to win more then 3 games, it's just brutal. Every FCS team they play finished in the top 25 last year and of course you guys are tough as well. I agree it is a winnable game for UND but SUU can be tough at times as well, it's definately an interesting match-up.

It looks like another potential opponent could be Midwestern State, a 2006 playoff team from the Lone Star Conference. They have open dates for Aug. 25 and Sept. 1 according to the "open dates" list on d2football.com, and are apparently willing to do a home-and-home. NW Mo. St. also has the same open dates, but is only looking for a home game.

I have been scouring that website for the last couple of weeks and FargoBison still beat me to the punch. Dang work. :silly:

I am glad to hear this. It should be a good matchup. SUU has been at 40 schollarships for a while and this last season apparently jumped to 57. It is expected that they will be getting close to the full 63 this season. It is also a school that is connected both to the Great West and the Mid-Con. Considering the Buning has already stated those are our 2 target conferences, SUU is a good school to become friends with.

I hope we get a return home game in 2008.

I have been scouring that website for the last couple of weeks and FargoBison still beat me to the punch. Dang work. :silly:

I am glad to hear this. It should be a good matchup. SUU has been at 40 schollarships for a while and this last season apparently jumped to 57. It is expected that they will be getting close to the full 63 this season. It is also a school that is connected both to the Great West and the Mid-Con. Considering the Buning has already stated those are our 2 target conferences, SUU is a good school to become friends with.

I hope we get a return home game in 2008.

The commisioner of the Mid Con, Tom Duple, is the former AD at Southern Utah so they are a great school to become friends with.

I think that SUU will be better next year than a lot of people are giving them credit for. They were tough three years ago when they had a large class of senior starters and the last two years they have started a lot of freshmen and sophomores. They return the most starters in the GWFC next season and have added 17 additional scholarships which allowed them to go out and add quite a few JC transfers to even out this years class. I do think that they are a team that UND can and probably will beat, but I do not think they will be a push over.

I think we're looking at the Mary Marauder's at home on Sept 1.

Bison trolls aside, that's actually a great idea for a game, and one that I had been keeping an eye on expecting them to look at.

Scheduling a school like Mary gives us additional exposure in Western North Dakota (in contrast to playing the lower tier school in your backyard, like UM-C or C-SP). Mary's no stranger to our schedule in other sports, might as well play them in the one that's going to get the biggest headlines on the local sports page in Bismarck.

Is Mary going to be a DII counter next year? I guess I'm not sure how it works from NAIA to DII, but I didn't think they were a counter last year..........

If they're a counter, which I'm assuming they are, it would be a nice game for the Sioux that should generate a lot of interest throughout the state......

From today's Bismarck Tribune.

Pigskin talk

U-Mary is hoping to play an evening home football game on Aug. 25 or Sept. 1.

Athletic director Al Bortke is shooting for the Aug. 25 date to complement freshmen orientation.

The school is looking into four options in picking up a game. Bortke said U-Mary's first choice is to schedule a game with Augustana College (Sioux Falls, S.D.). To make that possible, Augustana would have to schedule a Wednesday, Friday or Saturday game with Concordia-St. Paul.

U-Mary's second choice is to schedule a game with Minnesota-Duluth, but traveling to Bismarck might be an issue with Duluth.

Bortke said scheduling a game with the University of North Dakota or Minnesota State-Mankato could be an option. Bortke said Mankato is looking for a home game.

A game with UND might be a way for the Sioux to let Bismarck native Weston Dressler showcase his talent in his hometown, but nothing has been finalized with UND.

A high school football jamboree has also been scheduled for Aug. 25 at the Bismarck Community Bowl. Bortke has made contact with Bismarck Public Schools athletic director Jim Haussler to see if they can work together on that day. Again, nothing has been finalized.

I think we're looking at the Mary Marauder's at home on Sept 1.