SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 schedule

jimdahl

I'm beginning to wonder which is the lesser of the evils: The GPI or the regional playoff selection committee. At least the GPI gets rid of the regional nonsense.
My understanding is that the GPI doesn't actually have anything to do with playoff selection, nor does it attempt to mimic the playoff selection process (in contrast to hockey's PWR). Rather, it's just a ranking some guys made up because they felt their new website needed a ranking to help get mentioned in the press.

From what I understand, it's simply the BCS methodology applied to I-AA. They slapped "leading predictor of tournament selection" on it to give it additional gravitas, though as many here have noted, it's not the same as the selection process so isn't necessarily an accurate predictor.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JimDahl is correct.

For what it's worth, the GPI had been the top overall predictor of the at large playoff field until this last season, when the AGS poll outperformed it. This was sort've a weird year in that lots more FCS teams had games against FBS teams. Which is why you had #10 GPI Portland State not make it because they were 7-4 after losing to 2 FBS teams (though they did beat New Mexico). The AGS pollsters, on the other hand, correctly predicted that losses against FBS teams would not be taken heavily in consideration by the selection committee.

It's a Canes knock off-I like the plain helmet better.

Your home unies look like blood clots.

That hurt. I still say we lose the nickname we go by North Dakota.....eventually there will be no animal mascots either.

Fortunately being a male I don't know what blod clots look like, but I do agree that red jersey and red pants could be mixed up some. The UNO logo is nowhere as big a knock off as the ND. Notre Dame you know.

You're losing too much money due to hockey. Something has to be done.

Not to mention all that "we may go DI" talk scared the folks in Lincoln. They'll find a way to get the program cut before UNO ever goes DI.

Delusional...stick to topics you actually know something about. The Huskers worry about UNO's small fan contingent challenging their drawing power. UNO is moving to the MIAA.

Fortunately being a male I don't know what blod clots look like, but I do agree that red jersey and red pants could be mixed up some. The UNO logo is nowhere as big a knock off as the ND. Notre Dame you know.

Just so you know, neither UND knows who came up with the interlocking ND symbol.

So does this close the door on a potential UND-NDSU game in 2007?:

Also, talked with Gene Taylor the other day about football scheduling. He is determined not to schedule a Division 2 of any kind this year -- says fans are getting used to 1AA competition and aren't real interested in watching their team beat up on a D2.

Above quote from Hallstrom's blog. I have to assume UND falls within the category of "d2 of any kind." UND, Concordia-St. Paul, they're all the same, right? ???

Some on bisonville dream about never playing UND again unless it's the playoffs.

That I think is pure fantasy.

This year, though, there is a chance that we could fill up on FCS teams if the cards fall right.

But I'll say it again, if it comes down to getting a DII in the Fargodome and UND is still available, it would be an absolute disservice to the school, state, nigh universe to not schedule them.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just curious, do you think Buning will hold the Sep 1 date open until late April and risk another 10 game season? And what are your feelings toward 10 game seasons in general? Do you think that UND's repeated ability to get tournament home games is one of the reasons he's not afraid of them?

BTW, damn straight I want the nickel back. I went to NDSU during the mid to late 90's. I think I saw the nickel once during that time. However, I'm not convinced that 2007 or 2008 are the right years to resume the rivalry. I hate how venomous this thing has gotten over the last decade or so, so I don't mind the cooling off period for the general fans. Nothing can help the idiotic posters/fans on both sides of the aisle, though.

I hope this is a road game...

Unfortunately, that could mean NO home non-conference games in 2007. Assuming any I-AA games would be on the road, and the relative likelihood of a 10-game schedule again...

I have to admit that I never thought I'd see Mesa St. on the schedule again. I'm quite sure they were the opponent who was originally on the schedule last year, but who was replaced (bought-out, presumably) so as to schedule Northern Iowa.

I don't want to see another Sioux/Bison game either unless it's in the playoffs. I used to enjoy the rivalry up until NDSU made their move to D1-AA and not only expected us to continue playing them but had the nerve to throw a hissy fit when we told them we were no longer interested in playing them under the circumstances. Going into that last Sioux/Bison game in 2003, knowing they would be D1-AA starting in 2004, my hopes were that the Sioux would get the last laugh by winning the Nickel once and for all and then remove those guys from our schedule permanently. After all the whining and crying they've done, I don't think it would be in our best interest to help them out by giving them the opportunity to win back the Nickel. They had their chance in 2003 and couldn't get it done. My ultimate dream scenario for down the road is to see UND and NDSU in different D1-AA conferences and not on each other's schedules ever again. As much as I once enjoyed the rivalry, they ruined it with their behavior over the past four years. Now I wish for us to have nothing to do with them.

I think poor old dave was looking in the mirror when he wrote this! :ohmy:

I don't want to see another Sioux/Bison game either unless it's in the playoffs. I used to enjoy the rivalry up until NDSU made their move to D1-AA and not only expected us to continue playing them but had the nerve to throw a hissy fit when we told them we were no longer interested in playing them under the circumstances. Going into that last Sioux/Bison game in 2003, knowing they would be D1-AA starting in 2004, my hopes were that the Sioux would get the last laugh by winning the Nickel once and for all and then remove those guys from our schedule permanently. After all the whining and crying they've done, I don't think it would be in our best interest to help them out by giving them the opportunity to win back the Nickel. They had their chance in 2003 and couldn't get it done. My ultimate dream scenario for down the road is to see UND and NDSU in different D1-AA conferences and not on each other's schedules ever again. As much as I once enjoyed the rivalry, they ruined it with their behavior over the past four years. Now I wish for us to have nothing to do with them.

Pure fantasy.

NDSU could well win the Nickel back in 07!

Pure fantasy.

NDSU could well win the Nickel back in 07!

I'm all about UND-NDSU playing against each other in football ASAP, but if UND is to put up the Nickel trophy this year when they are at such a dis-advantage scholarships-wise to NDSU, it would see such a shame if you ask me. Let the schools play for it when UND gets up to the D-1AA level in scholarships. When that happens, we can talk about NDSU wanting the nickel back.

It will be great when the Sioux/Bison rivalry games begin again. However, I would rather see the game against SUU happen. Southern Utah is not only a member of the Great West but is also a member of the Mid-Continent. If the GWFC and the Mid-Con are what UND is initially shooting for it only makes sense to begin making friends in those conferences. Also, we are going to need home games for the 2008 season. It may be possible to work out a home and home with SUU. Play SUU in Cedar City this season in return for a home game during the 2008 season. Right now I don't see how UND and NDSU playing this season is really that benefitial to either school. I would prefer that the UND/NDSU games be scheduled to resume in 2009 when the game can be played on equal terms and would have more meaning.

Edit: Here is SUU's athletic website.

It will be great when the Sioux/Bison rivalry games begin again. However, I would rather see the game against SUU happen. Southern Utah is not only a member of the Great West but is also a member of the Mid-Continent. If the GWFC and the Mid-Con are what UND is initially shooting for it only makes sense to begin making friends in those conferences. Also, we are going to have trouble finding home games for the 2008 season. It may be possible to work out a home and home with SUU. Play SUU in Cedar City this season in return for a home game during the 2008 season. Right now I don't see how UND and NDSU playing this season is really that benefitial to either school. I would prefer that the UND/NDSU games be scheduled to resume in 2009 when the game can be played on equal terms and would have more meaning.

Edit: Here is SUU's athletic website.

Plus SUU would almost be a guaranteed W for you guys.