SiouxSports.com Forum

2007 schedule

jimdahl

Plus SUU would almost be a guaranteed W for you guys.

Thanks, NDSUgrad for the vote of confidence. It says alot when a fan of a FCS school feels that a DII team can assume a game against a fully funded FCS team from the strongest FCS conference will result in a sure win for the DII squad.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all about UND-NDSU playing against each other in football ASAP, but if UND is to put up the Nickel trophy this year when they are at such a dis-advantage scholarships-wise to NDSU, it would see such a shame if you ask me. Let the schools play for it when UND gets up to the D-1AA level in scholarships. When that happens, we can talk about NDSU wanting the nickel back.

I'm a Sioux fan and hope like heck the game is played in the near future. When they play, regardless of scholarships, the NICKEL has to be on the line. We didn't go when we should have; that's our fault not SU's. If we play, we play for the nickel trophy and the game deserves to be in Fargo.

I'm a Sioux fan and hope like heck the game is played in the near future. When they play, regardless of scholarships, the NICKEL has to be on the line. We didn't go when we should have; that's our fault not SU's. If we play, we play for the nickel trophy and the game deserves to be in Fargo.

I never said it was our fault for not moving or NDSU's fault for moving before we did. I just said it needs to be a balanced playing field. NDSU has got to be getting close to maxing the D-1AA level for scholarships, while UND will still be at the D-2 level this year. That's a 20-some difference in scholarships. That's not even close to balanced. The game can be in Fargo or anywhere but Grand Forks for all I care. UND owns the FargoDome.

I'm all about UND-NDSU playing against each other in football ASAP, but if UND is to put up the Nickel trophy this year when they are at such a dis-advantage scholarships-wise to NDSU, it would see such a shame if you ask me. Let the schools play for it when UND gets up to the D-1AA level in scholarships. When that happens, we can talk about NDSU wanting the nickel back.

IMO, the game shouldn't be played for anything less than the nickel.

If the UND football team all dies from an ebola outbreak and you have to find replacements from the student body, I still want to play for the nickel.

It's disrespect to all the games, players, coaches, and fans in the 100+ years of the rivalry to play without it.

IMO, the game shouldn't be played for anything less than the nickel.

If the UND football team all dies from an ebola outbreak and you have to find replacements from the student body, I still want to play for the nickel.

It's disrespect to all the games, players, coaches, and fans in the 100+ years of the rivalry to play without it.

Guys, this game is not going to happen. NDSU will schedule any FCS team before UND. Whether its anger is justified or not, NDSU officials are very unhappy with UND's behavior and will make absolutely certain UND gets the message.

The interesting question to me for the future of the rivalry is this: What happens if/when NDSU enters the Gateway? Will NDSU hold a date every year to play UND? Assuming NDSU wants to play 1 or 2 I-A teams every year, that won't leave a lot of wiggle room for scheduling other non-conference opponents, particularly given how late many of those I-A contracts are finalized. Consider too, the difficulty in scheduling non-conference opponents is a driving force for Gateway expansion in the first place (given WKU leaving and the uncertainty of ISU and WIU). More conference members=less scheduling hassles.

Play or not play, I could live with either scenario. I like how Florida and Florida State maintain a great rivalry every year while residing in different conferences. I think bringing in those differing conference allegiances adds to the intrigue. On the other hand, if the Dakota schools only meetings were the occasional playoff game, the magnitude of the event would be tremendous.

I hope you're right. Whether my anger is justified or not, I am very unhappy with NDSU's behavior and wish that UND would not have anything to do with them ever again. Let's just be done with them permanently.

Why are you going out of your way to hope for something that can never happen?

And you know it.

I hope I wake up with wings tomorrow. Then I can fly to work.

Let the schools play for it when UND gets up to the D-1AA level in scholarships.

Isn't it the UND fans that have been saying that D-II and FCS (D-IAA) are basically the Same? So why worry about Scholys? UND fans say they Played and BEAT a Better quality FCS team than NDSU did? That my be true but UND did not play a Schedule of FCS and FBS teams. NDSU was #3 in the Final Poll and UNI was #11, over on the AGS board DaveK was pretty clear that FCS is actually the new D-II and the talent isn't much different so Scholarships shouldn't matter, I'm all for fightin for the nickel.

Didn't seem to matter when we beat Montana and you beat UNI.

Are you comparing the great and storied rivalry of UND-NDSU to that of a game between UND-UNI and NDSU-Montana? With something that important(the Nickel Trophy) on the line, it should be a level field. That's all I'm saying. The 2 teams can play as often as they want to, but I wouldn't put the Nickel on the line until it's level. So, maybe it's good that they don't play this year yet. I don't know.

Maybe we play NDSU this year, they beat us, and then next year they decide they don't have any room on the schedule for us...Then what? How about vice-versa?

Are you comparing the great and storied rivalry of UND-NDSU to that of a game between UND-UNI and NDSU-Montana? With something that important(the Nickel Trophy) on the line, it should be a level field. That's all I'm saying. The 2 teams can play as often as they want to, but I wouldn't put the Nickel on the line until it's level. So, maybe it's good that they don't play this year yet. I don't know.

Maybe we play NDSU this year, they beat us, and then next year they decide they don't have any room on the schedule for us...Then what? How about vice-versa?

In my opinion I think that anytime that NDSU and UND play other than in a playoff, the game should be for the Nickel Trophy. Sure the first few years SU will have more scholars and possibly better players, but once the game starts it is still UND v. NDSU! Right now NDSU's football program is what UND will be striving to achieve in its early years as a D1 program, and giving up the Nickel a couple years in a row will only help motivate and speed up UND's development into a division 1 powerhouse that it will one day be.

I think the only way the Nickel should be up for grabs is if the series resumes. That means games every year, alternating between the schools as the history of the series has been. No one off games, no 2-for-1s. Possession of the Nickel is about the only bargaining chip UND has right now, but I think it's a pretty important one. You can't tell me that with the Bison not eligible for the post season that a winning the Nickel would have been huge, and likewise for UND in the next few years. The posturing now is very non-North Dakotan and as a UND alum and North Dakota native it makes me quite sad. If there is no matchup in 2007, both schools will graduate there first classes that never experienced a Sioux-Bison game. There's no need for that.

If there is no matchup in 2007, both schools will graduate there first classes that never experienced a Sioux-Bison game. There's no need for that.

Well, technically the 07 seniors who redshirted did experience the 03 game, they just didn't have an opportunity to play in it.

But the 08 redshirt seniors, OTOH ... you're right, it's a damned shame.

Yes, but when you make the playoffs you can't really decide who you will or will not play. Should they happen to meet in the playoffs someday, so be it. I just don't want to see them play in the regular season. Was that explanation really neccessary? Are you really that dense that you couldn't connect the dots?

No, your comment can only be interpeted as an expression of interest in a playoff game between the two teams. Which is, of course, incompatible with your earlier statement that you wanted UND to be done with NDSU permanently.

Well, technically the 07 seniors who redshirted did experience the 03 game, they just didn't have an opportunity to play in it.

But the 08 redshirt seniors, OTOH ... you're right, it's a damned shame.

You're correct, although I was more referring to the general student body that just the players themselves.

Let me make this very clear for the thinking impaired... the only way the Sioux and Bison should ever set foot on the same football field at the same time is if they should happen to meet up in a playoff game.

And you and LAKESBISON should only post when you're sitting in the same room and nobody else around.

Let me make this very clear for the thinking impaired... the only way the Sioux and Bison should ever set foot on the same football field at the same time is if they should happen to meet up in a playoff game.

Oh BS.

Stop saying this garbage out of spite.

Don't stoop to the level of the psychos on bisonville.

You know in your heart that you never would've said this pre 2003.

Be a man and stand up for what you really believe!

I don't give a crap if the guys on bisonville don't like me because I want to play UND. Hell yes I do! I wanted to play them in 04, 05, 06 and I want it to happen in 07.

So do you.

Oh BS.

Stop saying this garbage out of spite.

Don't stoop to the level of the psychos on bisonville.

You know in your heart that you never would've said this pre 2003.

Be a man and stand up for what you really believe!

I don't give a crap if the guys on bisonville don't like me because I want to play UND. Hell yes I do! I wanted to play them in 04, 05, 06 and I want it to happen in 07.

So do you.

While I certainly do agree with your assessment of DaveK, I do not think that a renewal of the rivalry would be a good thing, not now anyway. There's just too much bitterness and hatred between the schools - DaveK is a prime example. Both schools need a cooling-off period. Let's just wait a few years then revisit the subject. NDSU's experience has shown that there is life after "The Rivalry." The Bison have prospered without UND. Does anyone doubt that the Sioux can do the same?

Hey Sioux fans, this is my first post here. I am hoping that both you and USD will become members of the GWFC.

Cal Poly is still trying to schedule their 11th game which would be their 5th home game. I am hoping if they schedule a DII team this year it is either UND or USD. I have great respect for both schools and there is no time like the present to build some history with two teams that will hopefully become futue conference members. What do you think?

Hey Sioux fans, this is my first post here. I am hoping that both you and USD will become members of the GWFC.

Cal Poly is still trying to schedule their 11th game which would be their 5th home game. I am hoping if they schedule a DII team this year it is either UND or USD. I have great respect for both schools and there is no time like the present to build some history with two teams that will hopefully become futue conference members. What do you think?

Welcome to the board, SloStang.

There is no doubt that our Universities will begin to see plenty of each other in the upcoming years. Whether that is in 2008 or '09 is still to be determined. I think the biggest factor with that will be what the Gateway decides and/or announces in 2 weeks.