SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

well its officially official...hockey team joins new conference they get new nchc member school banners in the ralph the same year....the mens bball, womens bball, and vball team joined a new conference two years ago and new big sky conference members banners are no where to be seen at the betty???

any verified und officials on here want to explain that one??

next question...womens vball wins the big sky conference this year/ mens hockey wins the the nchc this year...who gets a conference championship banner first?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

looks like someone over at REA saw that the womens vball team is currently on top of a so called "Big Sky Conference" and decided to embrace the fact that UND is something other than the NCHC and decided to paint on the member schools logo's on the south wall at the Betty? Better late than never but banners would have been nicer and i can't wait until REA finds out that Idaho (no not Idaho State they are already in the BSC) will be joining next year so a couple of logos painted over will have to be shifted down a bit.

looks like someone over at REA saw that the womens vball team is currently on top of a so called "Big Sky Conference" and decided to embrace the fact that UND is something other than the NCHC and decided to paint on the member schools logo's on the south wall at the Betty? Better late than never but banners would have been nicer and i can't wait until REA finds out that Idaho (no not Idaho State they are already in the BSC) will be joining next year so a couple of logos painted over will have to be shifted down a bit.

I thought I saw a tweet where they are fathead logos so easily moved.

But yes rediculous that it took over a year to get them. Now for that old Big Sky logo on the court...

Oh and a video board.

• 4 months later...

i know at one point the alerus was maybe the new home court for und basketball iirc??? looks like a decent setup out there but why in the heck are those retractable seats from the west side at least 30 feet back from court??? do these people that design athletic facilites ever been to a sporting event in their life?? spectators want to be right on top of the action! same thing at the betty...move everything CLOSER to the floor to build a home court advantage by getting our fans right on top of the action.

i know at one point the alerus was maybe the new home court for und basketball iirc??? looks like a decent setup out there but why in the heck are those retractable seats from the west side at least 30 feet back from court??? do these people that design athletic facilites ever been to a sporting event in their life?? spectators want to be right on top of the action! same thing at the betty...move everything CLOSER to the floor to build a home court advantage by getting our fans right on top of the action.

Could not agree with you more!!! Or who is in charge of setup? Because I feel like it doesn't take an engineer to move mobile bleachers 10 feet closer to the Baseline in the Alerus.

Could not agree with you more!!! Or who is in charge of setup? Because I feel like it doesn't take an engineer to move mobile bleachers 10 feet closer to the Baseline in the Alerus.

i also think more blame should be on whoever designed the layout..probably someone that never played sports before....shoen or whoever that did the ralph can slap themselves on back all they want but Ralph himself was the architect, engineer, and everything else that made that a perfect hockey facility for fans and the players...

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hey, it seems to be vogue this week to resurrect threads started in 2006, so why not. 

UND continues to work on the facilities master plan and now some faculty are upset.

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3923969-und-faculty-fight-preserve-historic-buildings-master-plan-development 

Hey, Dr. I, the reason "all three plans focused on efficient and cost savings rather than preserving historic buildings" is that you and your fellow faculty are bought in hook line and sinker to the "green energy" craze (powered by "global warming"). The "green" movement is all about efficiency, and "clean energy", and lowering "carbon footprints". So why does the plan read that way? Because, Dr. I, that's the environment you and your ilk have created! 

Here's a news alert for you, Dr. I, and your ilk: Thoughts and ideas that are wonderful in your mind have real world implications, ramifications, outcomes, and consequences. 

You want a green, "carbon-free" world. Well, old, leaky, inefficient buildings don't fit into that. Retrofitting them is not cost effective*. Thus, the old buildings must go. 

Alternatively, if you love the old buildings you just may have to accept that operating them may not be all that "green". 

*Cost effective is another real world concept. 

Of a truth!

Just now, nodak651 said:

Wilki looks like !@#$.

It was an ugly building before, and it's still an ugly building after the remodel.  The facade after the remodel is very trendy looking, which means it is going to look like absolute garbage in about 10-15 years.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I do wish the newer construction (anything in the last 50 years) had stuck with more of a collegiate gothic style of architecture.

With that said, the University Place apartments aren't bad looking.  The Wilkerson complex (including connected dormitories) is bad, the Chester Fritz auditorium is ugly, and the new medical school building looks like a corporate office structure.  It seems they've made some attempts to keep central campus with a collegiate gothic style (renovations of O'Kelly, law school, etc.), and the rest of campus is free to go nuts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

With that said, the University Place apartments aren't bad looking.  The Wilkerson complex (including connected dormitories) is bad, the Chester Fritz auditorium is ugly, and the new medical school building looks like a corporate office structure.  It seems they've made some attempts to keep central campus with a collegiate gothic style (renovations of O'Kelly, law school, etc.), and the rest of campus is free to go nuts.

If you go with JLG you'll usually end up with boxy.

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Received a survey today via email regarding what I'd like to see prioritized in a new College of Business facility.....

I've been in the UND business building...sure is pretty plain relative to the NDSU one but whats so bad about it that they want a new one?

11 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I've been in the UND business building...sure is pretty plain relative to the NDSU one but whats so bad about it that they want a new one?

From what I understand, there isn't enough space.  That's what I was told a few years ago when I was still in school.  There are also no study areas really.

19 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Even if that was the only reason, it would be enough.  

The College of Business is an oft-neglected cash cow for UND.  Gamble Hall is used by multiple colleges due to its large amphitheater style classrooms, so it's an important facility to the entire campus as most students will take a class there.  It's time to make it a jewel on campus, in the opinion of UNDBIZ.  :D

• Upvote 3