SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I agree. Some sooner rather than later. This early in the season it is hard to project, but Chorney is having a great year defensively. I think he leads the list of defensemen who may defect after this season (and he may be the biggest flight risk outside of Toews overall).

The thing that may tend to keep Chorney a bit longer than otherwise is that he's an Edmonton property, and Edmonton: 1) Still doesn't have an AHL affiliate and doesn't have enywhere to send its signees, and 2) Likes UND's player development. If he's not ready for the NHL, this is one case where they may really prefer him to be in college rather than in their "system."

The thing that may tend to keep Chorney a bit longer than otherwise is that he's an Edmonton property, and Edmonton: 1) Still doesn't have an AHL affiliate and doesn't have enywhere to send its signees, and 2) Likes UND's player development. If he's not ready for the NHL, this is one case where they may really prefer him to be in college rather than in their "system."

Good point.

Maybe UND could jump up to the AHL? :silly:

Does anyone know if UND has been keeping an eye on Sean Diechart of Fargo South for a possible 2008 goaltender? Yeah I know, I know, he's a local kid and that is the only reason I bring him up right......well kinda, but he had an outstanding performance against White Bear Lake last night, shuting down several D1 recruits allowing only 1 goal on 36 shots. He is a senior this year, but would need at least a year in the USHL. He has been a very solid goaltender for South and with some work could make the jump.

Oshie and Johnson most likely will be in St. Louis next season, Toews will be in Chicago. As for the defensemen, the only early defection I see is Taylor Chorney who is having a monstrous year up to this point. Lee has been average for the most part, taking untimely penalties, being beat and lazy at times and helping a little on the power play with assists. He needs to pick up his game a lot if he's going to be ready for the NHL, but I don't see Lee signing after this year yet.

Oshie and Johnson most likely will be in St. Louis next season, Toews will be in Chicago. As for the defensemen, the only early defection I see is Taylor Chorney who is having a monstrous year up to this point. Lee has been average for the most part, taking untimely penalties, being beat and lazy at times and helping a little on the power play with assists. He needs to pick up his game a lot if he's going to be ready for the NHL, but I don't see Lee signing after this year yet.

In case you are wondering, Brian Lee's 1-11-12 is good for a tie for second on the team in points (with Toews and Porter). His 9 in conference points (all assists) is good for a tie with Chris Porter for third on the team.

I don't think that qualifies as "a little." :glare:

As for whether he signs or not, I don't know. You're guess is as good as mine. The Ottawa GM said he was looking forward to Lee playing for Ottawa "in a couple of years." That's as open to interpretation as one can be.

==============================

To prevent a double post, I went to see the F-M Jets play the U18 team tonight.

I wasn't impressed with a lot of things (mostly the fact that for the first period and a half the U18 team looked rather tame and for basically the whole game the Jets weren't doing very well at passing) but the one person that did do some nice work (not counting those committed to a college already) was Cieslak of the U18 team. He was VERY strong on the puck and made a NICE move around a Jets defender and just missed scoring a goal (nice save by Lee).

Austin Lee looked good despite giving up 4 goals and 1 empty netter (they lost 5-1). Really, only one goal (the 2nd goal) could be considered weak. He got left hung out to dry a couple of times and the first goal he gave up was one of the biggest fluke goals I've ever seen in person. The puck hit him on his right front just inside logo-ward of his armpit and rolled up his jersey. He made to grab or swat it away, which propelled it further up his jersey, over his shoulder, and into the net. The 3rd goal was what happens when you give up the puck right outside of the crease to two U18 players. Ridiculously bad defensive play by the Jets.

The Sioux definitely saw the better of the two goaltenders the U18 had to offer (though the Jets PA Announcer pronounced Unice as "Uncle"). The key to Phillips is to get him to handle the puck behind his net. He gave up two HUGE turnovers that, had the Jets been able to actually get a stick on it (don't ask me how they missed, I seriously can't tell you) they would have scored an open net goal. Both the U18 team and the Jets missed on open net opportunities, but the Jets have the dishonor of whiffing twice to U18's once.

Lastly, visiting the dump known as the Carlson Colloseum tonight made me thankful for two things:

1. Darren Looker. The Jets PA Announcer SUCKED big time.

2. UND has no mascot. "Ace" the mentally challenged Eagle was at best nonexistant, but usually REALLY REALLY LAME.

Oh, and if you thought there was a lot of clutching and grabbing and missed calls last night vs. the Sioux, you should have seen this game. Lots of missed calls including some horrifically obvious tripping minors.

obviously, i have to agree with toews being gone. oshie, i have voiced my opinion before, but i think he will be 3 years here...a hunch(even thought he's good enough). chorney and lee are possibilities for gone. i dont think either will leave until next year though. of course i am a little biased with sioux optomism. if i was to look a umtc, i would say okposo, wheeler, johnson, goligoski, and maybe stoa too...will all be gone(just to show the diff)

obviously, i have to agree with toews being gone. oshie, i have voiced my opinion before, but i think he will be 3 years here...a hunch(even thought he's good enough). chorney and lee are possibilities for gone. i dont think either will leave until next year though. of course i am a little biased with sioux optomism. if i was to look a umtc, i would say okposo, wheeler, johnson, goligoski, and maybe stoa too...will all be gone(just to show the diff)

i say lets worry about this stuff when the time comes which will hopefully be in april........and lets enjoy watching these players while we have the in the green and white

murray must be better than people give him credit for...hes really not talked about too much.

also...on my ramblings about possible deflections; that is because im really bored :D

i hear ya..........im not even sure if murray is interested or vis versa but i would assume so. i guess with brady only being here such a short time and seeming shorter with his injuries i have no idea....he seems to be another firebug though so these 2 would be great for 09 along with chich and kristo.............

I'm pretty sure I heard the Blues GM say he expects Oshie and Johnson in a blues uniform next season.

What if Oshie decides he wants to play another year at UND?

Seriously does anyone know if we are possibly looking for another goalie for next season?

Seriously does anyone know if we are possibly looking for another goalie for next season?

do you mean for 08? i hope they get on the ball and pick up a great goalie for that year...but i have not heard much besides chris rawlings, who is putting up very average stats this year.

Although I don't feel we need a goalie for next season, Heisenburg has this kid listed as receiving interest from UND

Chris Rawlings - Salmon Arm (BCHL) - 6'5", pretty tall goalie, his stats don't look to impressive so far, here is the link http://bchl.bc.ca/leagues/rosters_profile....61641&pos=G

Also, with the Shattuck connection Justin Farrell is listed as the top 09 goalie recruit.

Does anyone know if UND has been keeping an eye on Sean Diechart of Fargo South for a possible 2008 goaltender? Yeah I know, I know, he's a local kid and that is the only reason I bring him up right......well kinda, but he had an outstanding performance against White Bear Lake last night, shuting down several D1 recruits allowing only 1 goal on 36 shots. He is a senior this year, but would need at least a year in the USHL. He has been a very solid goaltender for South and with some work could make the jump.

perhaps we can bring him in for the 2nd half of the season, since so many fans want grieco cut. once hakstol realizes that grieco sucks and cuts him in the next week, then we'll need a third goalie to play behind walski. the goalie must also be a local talent, because i don't think we've ever had a goalie do well when they're not a local kid. :D

perhaps we can bring him in for the 2nd half of the season, since so many fans want grieco cut. once hakstol realizes that grieco sucks and cuts him in the next week, then we'll need a third goalie to play behind walski. the goalie must also be a local talent, because i don't think we've ever had a goalie do well when they're not a local kid. :D

Good post, people need to take it easy with Grieco. Remember that he had a pretty good weekend against St. Cloud, so there is potential there. We also need to remember that he is only 17, this is very young especially at the goalie position. Remember that guys like Parise and Goehring came in when they were older and that gave them a big advantage. Give Grieco some time, I feel that in a few years he will be a good goalie. These next two seasons he should get in games like Dartmouth and Bemidji. Lets just hope Lammy stays healthy for the top teams.

Good post, people need to take it easy with Grieco. Remember that he had a pretty good weekend against St. Cloud, so there is potential there. We also need to remember that he is only 17, this is very young especially at the goalie position. Remember that guys like Parise and Goehring came in when they were older and that gave them a big advantage. Give Grieco some time, I feel that in a few years he will be a good goalie. These next two seasons he should get in games like Dartmouth and Bemidji. Lets just hope Lammy stays healthy for the top teams.

He's 18

From "southpaw" in response to my original post

"perhaps we can bring him in for the 2nd half of the season, since so many fans want grieco cut. once hakstol realizes that grieco sucks and cuts him in the next week, then we'll need a third goalie to play behind walski. the goalie must also be a local talent, because i don't think we've ever had a goalie do well when they're not a local kid."

I am not sure how this reply needed to have my original post quoted since it did not mention Grieco, put ok. My post was meant for a third goalie for when Lammy leaves, not saying we should boot Grieco. I said 2008 because that is when the kid will graduate, but as I stated in my original post, I think he needs a year in the USHL to build, which means the earliest I would say he should be at any D1 school is 2009....... and guess what, that is when UND will be looking for a 3rd goalie b/c they loose Lammy to graduation. Next time you feel you need to vent, either choose an appropriate post to quote or read the post thoroughly before you fly off the handle.

I am not sure how this reply needed to have my original post quoted since it did not mention Grieco, put ok. My post was meant for a third goalie for when Lammy leaves, not saying we should boot Grieco. I said 2008 because that is when the kid will graduate, but as I stated in my original post, I think he needs a year in the USHL to build, which means the earliest I would say he should be at any D1 school is 2009....... and guess what, that is when UND will be looking for a 3rd goalie b/c they loose Lammy to graduation. Next time you feel you need to vent, either choose an appropriate post to quote or read the post thoroughly before you fly off the handle.

I don't think that my post was that far off base, for me wanting the coaches to recruit another goalie for next season nor is it unrealistic, to be honest, I don't think it would be too bad of a idea.

I don't think that post was all that off base wanting the coaches to recruit another goalie for next season isn't unrealistic, to be honest, I don't think it would be too bad of a idea.

So which of the two inconsistent current goalies are you suggesting should be replaced because one of their scholarships would have to ge available. The hometown junior or the 18 year old who hasn't reached his potential yet.