SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I think what everyone is trying to say, in a round-about-way, is that our defense is so good we don't actually need a goalie. :D

Meant to post this comment here. Personally, I remain hopeful that one of the two current goalies will become consistent and emerge as the go to #1 for the playoff run.

Meant to post this comment here. Personally, I remain hopeful that one of the two current goalies will become consistent and emerge as the go to #1 for the playoff run.

I not so sure Sioux-Hab, I think we should try our luck empty-netted for 60 minutes, with an extra attacker. This whole goalie thing is simply over-rated, who needs one.

So which of the two inconsistent current goalies are you suggesting should be replaced because one of their scholarships would have to ge available. The hometown junior or the 18 year old who hasn't reached his potential yet.

thats true, you wouldnt want UND to give out 3 scholarships to goalies. it sucks that lammy was injured, but he will find solidity soon. grieco is more a strong soph. in my eyes. you have to think that they would have normally brought him in for parise next year.

So which of the two inconsistent current goalies are you suggesting should be replaced because one of their scholarships would have to ge available. The hometown junior or the 18 year old who hasn't reached his potential yet.

I am not suggesting we cut Tony or Phil but I think bringing in another high end goalie and getting him into the system wouldn't be a bad thing. That way we aren't playing to green goalies in 2009. No offense to the phil lovers but in three season at UND he has not proved to be a shut down goalie like Parise, heck he hasn't even been as good as Brandt.

I am sure I am not the only one that thinks this way. If we continue to get the current goaltending he have experience this season to date its going to be a long two years. I think it is funny that people get touchie when someone suggest St. Phil isn't playing all that good. This is a discussion board and letting in 4-5 goals every night in not on par with division one goaltending we have given up at least 4 goals in 7 of 15 games the Sioux have played this season. One of them teams was a team comprise of 17 year olds... Our Penalty killing is like 54th in the nation that is not good. The goalies have to start making saves.

Edited by Goon

Talk of UND's goalie "situation" has been almost constant on this board and elsewhere, since Karl graduated. I've found myself several times feeling less than confident at a Fighting Sioux goaltender's abilities to shut down an opponent. And I recall looking at other WCHA teams' rosters with a certain degree of jealousy at their ability to recruit, sign and develop top-flight talent in the net.

And yet look at where this team has been, just since the new building opened. What, they've missed the NCAA playoffs once? They've been to the last two Frozen Fours?

I'm not completely disagreeing with some of the thoughts herein supporting a major recruitment effort for a goalie, but I'm amazed at what UND has done with these "no-name", unheralded netminders.

thats true, you wouldnt want UND to give out 3 scholarships to goalies.

Don't they give out three scholarships for goaltending, wasn't phil, brandt and Parise on the same team his senior year? If I am not mistaken all three were scholarship goalies.

Talk of UND's goalie "situation" has been almost constant on this board and elsewhere, since Karl graduated. I've found myself several times feeling less than confident at a Fighting Sioux goaltender's abilities to shut down an opponent. And I recall looking at other WCHA teams' rosters with a certain degree of jealousy at their ability to recruit, sign and develop top-flight talent in the net.

And yet look at where this team has been, just since the new building opened. What, they've missed the NCAA playoffs once? They've been to the last two Frozen Fours?

I'm not completely disagreeing with some of the thoughts herein supporting a major recruitment effort for a goalie, but I'm amazed at what UND has done with these "no-name", unheralded netminders.

Parise was a shut down goalie and statisically close to KG.

Goaltending seems to be by far the most speculative position for recruiting. It's hit or miss. I don't think we have recruited poorly, but some just don't pan out like we'd like. Look at the gophers, it has been argued that they haven't had an elite tender since Stauber despite their recruiting of "can't miss" netminders.

Goaltending seems to be by far the most speculative position for recruiting. It's hit or miss. I don't think we have recruited poorly, but some just don't pan out like we'd like. Look at the gophers, it has been argued that they haven't had an elite tender since Stauber despite their recruiting of "can't miss" netminders.

Thats the funny part, Briggs with his 73 wins is now like one of UoMN best goalies with wins.

That is way wicked scarey. They won with Shoddy goaltending. Webber and Hauser weren't world beater by any stretch of the imagination.

That being said I don't see UND scoring 5-6 goals every night to win.

Siouxnami: They all were team mates during Jakes senior year. I, too, think they all were on scholarships.

Yes they were unless PCM can shed a different light that we are not aware of?

Parise was a shut down goalie and statisically close to KG.

He grew into that. But there were many, many times Jordan was the object of scorn here, especially during his freshman and sophmore years. Heck, until the stretch runs in the last two seasons, people were on the ledge over the goalie "situation".

I don't disagree that Parise was good, maybe great. All I'm saying is that this discussion is not new (only the names are changed from year to year).

He grew into that. But there were many, many times Jordan was the object of scorn here, especially during his freshman and sophmore years. Heck, until the stretch runs in the last two seasons, people were on the ledge over the goalie "situation".

I don't disagree that Parise was good, maybe great. All I'm saying is that this discussion is not new (only the names are changed from year to year).

And many believed that JPar was not a credible D1 goalie much less a UND goalie when he came in.

Is there any talk about the 2 point leaders from Shattuck, Derrik Stepan and Brock Montpetit? I'm too lazy to go back through 103 pages and we've re-hashed the history of past Sioux goalies enough. Let's get back to the prospects.

Reason I ask about Stepan/Montpetit, a co-worker is a coach here in the St. Louis Park public system and said he over heard at a tournament this past weekend that the Sioux had landed ANOTHER Shattuck scoring machine. Naturally I puckered at the thought it was little Toews, but he said it wasn't him but it was Shattuck's current leading scorer. Looking at the stat sheet as of 12/4 on the official Shattuck site and those two are tied at 36 points, but clearly Montpetit is the leading scorer with 23 G to Stepan's 16 G. He might be confused, but this guy is a Goof season ticket holder and has sent kids to D I so I'm thinking there's probably a grain of truth to this rumor.

Any thoughts or insights from our "inside sources"?? If they are both signed and I missed it, forgive me, I have small kids and don't get to read here as much as I should.

Is there any talk about the 2 point leaders from Shattuck, Derrik Stepan and Brock Montpetit? I'm too lazy to go back through 103 pages and we've re-hashed the history of past Sioux goalies enough. Let's get back to the prospects.

Reason I ask about Stepan/Montpetit, a co-worker is a coach here in the St. Louis Park public system and said he over heard at a tournament this past weekend that the Sioux had landed ANOTHER Shattuck scoring machine. Naturally I puckered at the thought it was little Toews, but he said it wasn't him but it was Shattuck's current leading scorer. Looking at the stat sheet as of 12/4 on the official Shattuck site and those two are tied at 36 points, but clearly Montpetit is the leading scorer with 23 G to Stepan's 16 G. He might be confused, but this guy is a Goof season ticket holder and has sent kids to D I so I'm thinking there's probably a grain of truth to this rumor.

Any thoughts or insights from our "inside sources"?? If they are both signed and I missed it, forgive me, I have small kids and don't get to read here as much as I should.

i think that montpetit is a UW recruit. i think stepan is up for grabs though. my guess would be murray, who has like 20g-a scoring machine. good news if its true. gotta love the SSM pipeline.

Edit: stepan is UW too.

My guess would be Murray since he has put up 34 points he is only two shy of the leading scores so at the time he could've been the leading scorer. There is one other that I can think of which would be Stepan Novotny. Heisenburg listed Novotny as one of Shattuck's top fowards this year and what else is interesting about him is he is from the Czech Republic. So far this year Novotny has put up 18 points.

And many believed that JPar was not a credible D1 goalie much less a UND goalie when he came in.

I am pretty sure most of them were gopher fans that said that. Also, I am pretty sure that in 2 1/2 years we weren't still discussing this.

We all know that JPar coming here was just a "condition" on the ZPar deal. :D

I remember being lectured that the only reason Jordan was here was because Zack was here and that we didn't want to upset the Shattuck pipeline that is still seems running to UND long after the Parise boys are gone. Boy that idea sure got proved wrong.

Speaking of recruits from Shattucks: In looking at the Shattuck recruits I am so happy #23 decided to go to UofMN and not come to UND. No I am not talking about his flare up at the Final Five a few years back, I am talking about a team leading scorer sitting out an entire series because he is lazy. I wonder if Lucia is going to be as strict with some of his other players when comes to one of his star freshman like Okposso. I don't know the kid so he may not be like that (its a hypothetical) but say he ends up at the bar I (I can't think of the bar right now it was the one that gave free drinks to the underage goofer players) will he get suspended.