SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Sorry I was being sarcastic. There was a letter in the G.F. Herald last summer saying that the UND coaching staff won't ever get another good recruit out of the USHL and that the coaches and best players in the U.S. are going to disrespect the program because all three coaches are canadien.

I liked the sarcasm, but I think you posted it too late. You should have posted it when we got committments from Kristo and/or Cichy because we got USA Hockey committments before we got a USHL one (if you don't count Marto or LaPoint).

Sorry I was being sarcastic. There was a letter in the G.F. Herald last summer saying that the UND coaching staff won't ever get another good recruit out of the USHL and that the coaches and best players in the U.S. are going to disrespect the program because all three coaches are canadien.

Thanks for the info and your continued insight as to recruits!

Max roster size is 28 I believe but how many scholarships are available? Do we get into players not happy with playing time or is competition with that many good for the team? With only 21 dressing for games that would leave lots of players in the stands. Lots of questions that will have to be answered ;)

Uh, not quite. From the 2006-07 DI Manual (for what that's worth):

15.5.6 Ice Hockey Limitations. There shall be an annual limit of 18 on the value of financial aid

awards (equivalencies) to counters and an annual limit of 30 on the total number of counters in ice

hockey at each institution. (Adopted: 1/16/93 effective 8/1/93)

On what do you base this hunch?

as i said...hunch. but it is because we have put him off a year(im not sure if he was supposed to come this year) to the ushl again and the fact that if he is going to be on scholarship(which i doubt) there would be better players to fill that. im just speculating because it happens every once in a while. UND has 7 dmen for next year all returning and unless you move genoway to forward, marto would make 8(assuming lee and chorney stay). why would marto want to come to UND and get little playing time if any? this is all very unscientific and based on assumptions, but thats where my "hunch" came from. i was sort of wondering if anyone else felt like marto is being continuously pushed back...

I'm not going to say that Marto isn't going to come here, but there is a possibility that if we have to many players some recruits may not come here or play another year of juniors. If another d-men like Ben Blood were to sign and the other d-men were to stay than that may trigger someone like Marto to not come here.

I think that you are wrong on Marto, there is a reason he just resigned a LOI. Playing time for Marto may be dificult to come by though.

After what I saw of Marto's play on Saturday night in Kearney, I would have to say that unless he can step it up in a huge way, I will likely be disappointed to see him in green and white. I just did not see the capabilities that I want to see out of a Sioux player.

Marto's doing great. Maybe he will develope like Nick Fuhr. He will be here next year.

Bruneteau has some brothers to. Funny how some of our rivals don't think that he is a big recruit and that there schools didn't want him when in reality every big time program recuited him. I read He could have went to Wisconsin or Minni, but he wouldn't even visit their schools. This fall He narrowed his short list down to 3 Denver, Michigan and North Dakota. So you know that others think he is going to be a great college player.

We got two redheads to committ, now we need one more.

Marto's doing great. Maybe he will develope like Nick Fuhr. He will be here next year.

Bruneteau has some brothers to. Funny how some of our rivals don't think that he is a big recruit and that there schools didn't want him when in reality every big time program recuited him. I read He could have went to Wisconsin or Minni, but he wouldn't even visit their schools. This fall He narrowed his short list down to 3 Denver, Michigan and North Dakota. So you know that others think he is going to be a great college player.

We got two redheads to committ, now we need one more.

Idle musings, but I wonder if we could make Marto into another Chay Genoway?

I'd say after this weekend, Marto's chances of making a roster spot improved considerably.

As opposed to? He's a scholarship player...he's not going to get cut...making a roster spot? Sometimes I don't understand people. Now while he may not get playing time, it's not like they are going to pull his schollie because he's not scoring enough.

Does anyone know if we are looking for a goalie? :silly:

The goalie situation will be fine. Give it time to iron itself out. This argument runs its course every year and, it frankly, gets really old. Were we looking for a goalie last year when Lammy and JPar gave up 7, 4, and 4 goals successively to Denver and Wisonsin? No, we weren't. Now, before everyone tries to compare Wisconsin and Denver to AA, I'm not saying Alaska is as good. But anyone who watched the game on the web can see how far AA came from last year to this year. They will beat other good teams. Bank on it.

How many great goaltenders, let alone great hockey players, do we see come in at the age of 17 and excel right away at the college level?? I can think of 3 right now, Stafford, Toews, and now Grieco. Toews wasn't really noticeable until after Christmas, Stafford was the same way as Toews, but not quite as good IMO his freshman year. Grieco will be a good goaltender. Maybe even a great goaltender. The coaches will continue to work on his skills and make him a polished goaltender. You can see the potential, and if you can't/don't, you need to recheck the prescription on those lenses. Don't judge him by 4 games where the entire team struggled, not just him.

Taken by Mankato. The sioux were to busy trying to get in a 17 year old as soon as possible to notice the best goalie in minnesota last year. Somthing tells me UND could have won that recruiting battle.

Lee has looked good, but I wonder why Lee couldn't stick with the USHL team he tried out for?