SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

does anybody know if there are any goalies that UND is looking at for 08? are there any alex stalock types out there?

Nibbles here and there, but only speculative.

The only one I've heard of that was quoted in a recruiting source is that UND has shown interest in current Powell River(BCHL) goaltender Chris Rawlings. He's not having a good year, but I'm not sure what that is because of. Marc Cheverie, who is a pretty good goaltending recruit (DU got him I believe), is having an off year as well so... But Chris is 6'5" 200#. I think we won't get him because he's far too tall to be a Sioux goaltender :silly:

Rumblings about:

Beau Christian

Dayn Belfour

There are decent goaltending recruits out there, like Reid Ellingson and Sean (sp?) Deichert are decent prospects from what I've read, but I have no clue if UND is interested at all in them.

Nibbles here and there, but only speculative.

The only one I've heard of that was quoted in a recruiting source is that UND has shown interest in current Powell River(BCHL) goaltender Chris Rawlings. He's not having a good year, but I'm not sure what that is because of. Marc Cheverie, who is a pretty good goaltending recruit (DU got him I believe), is having an off year as well so... But Chris is 6'5" 200#. I think we won't get him because he's far too tall to be a Sioux goaltender :silly:

Rumblings about:

Beau Christian

Dayn Belfour

There are decent goaltending recruits out there, like Reid Ellingson and Sean (sp?) Deichert are decent prospects from what I've read, but I have no clue if UND is interested at all in them.

cheverie is a DU recruit for 07 and im familiar with the others you listed...i guess im just getting greedy with the recruits UND is getting recently. I know this may not happen, but it would be sweet to get a goalie that was a high draft pick...like a jimmy howard or cory schneider or something(i know howard was WAY better than schneider though). im just bored i think.

how about this kid? Seen something about him as one of the top forwards out there on the Heiensburg site..(sp)

http://www.ajhl.ab.ca/leagues/rosters_prof...playerID=226771

He is a 90 and would be a good foward pickup in 08. Heisenburg has him listed as #1 out of that league for 2008. His stats are also very impressive for a 16 year old in the AJHL.

Joe Colborne.........there was a Dave Colborne out of Canada who played with the Sioux back in, I believe, the mid 70's until he ran into some kind of elegibility problem. Was an excellent player, if my fading memory serves me right. Any relation, I wonder?

You memory isn't fading too bad and I believe he was a victim of some of the eligibility rule changes at that time. The Goofs whined for nearly 20 years that couldn't compete against Canadians who had played real hockey and eventaully got their way. Dave was only 5'7" but had a set of wheels, a Duncan type player. Given that Calgary is common to both it is very possible that Joe is either son or nephew and the Sioux could have a valuable connection. :silly:

My recollection on Mr. Colborne was his freshman year was 76. He had the hardest shot I had ever seen and he could move. He got to UND on his motorcycle which begged the question what he was going to do for Christmas break. I thought he was bigger than 5'7" also. Too many junior games was the problem with his eligiblity.

Again, I don't want to sound like I am routing for the local boys, only b/c they are local, but......

Last Friday I saw Jordan Willet play for TriCity when they played Sioux City, he didn't have a great game stats wise, but he played very good two-way hockey. I thought he was one of the better players on that team. He is still listed as one of the good recruits out there, but to my knowledge he hasn't committed anywhere yet. I know we have alot of talent already and more to come, but I think he would be a great pickup for 08 if he was interested in waiting another year. He could turn into a solid, 4 year player that could possibly anchor and lead an organization with lots of talent that doesn't stick around more than 2 years at a time. Just a thought.

Based on my best guess. It would appear the Sioux may be done recruiting for awhile. There are always unexpected defections (Sparky) but I think the Sioux now have plenty of player for 2007 and 1-3 of the possible 2007s will wait until 2008 depending on who leaves. I have TJ and JT as givens.

If those 2 are the only ones to leave I think we have 15 forwards for 2007 and 16 for 2008. I think we will have 7-8 D for 2007 and 2008 is a wildcard with Lee/Chorney/Finley, but I think we will have 5-6 D then.

We have 3 goalies for 2007 and 2 for 2008.

So I think:

2007 Class is done:

1 of the Bretts will wait for 2008

Ben Blood is likely a 2008

2008 Class:

May still need 1 defender.

Expect 1 Goalie

2009 Class:

5-6 Forwards

2-3 Defense

1 Goalie

My guess is that the Sioux will persue some of the best 2008s with the understanding they may play a year of juniors, but I don't expect any new announcements soon.

Any insiders?

Based on my best guess. It would appear the Sioux may be done recruiting for awhile. There are always unexpected defections (Sparky) but I think the Sioux now have plenty of player for 2007 and 1-3 of the possible 2007s will wait until 2008 depending on who leaves. I have TJ and JT as givens.

If those 2 are the only ones to leave I think we have 15 forwards for 2007 and 16 for 2008. I think we will have 7-8 D for 2007 and 2008 is a wildcard with Lee/Chorney/Finley, but I think we will have 5-6 D then.

So I think:

2007 Class is done:

2008 Class:

Expect 1 Goalie

2009 Class:

5-6 Forwards

2-3 Defense

1 Goalie

My guess is that the Sioux will persue some of the best 2008s with the understanding they may play a year of juniors, but I don't expect any new announcements soon.

Any insiders?

so if we land toews or murray in that age group, would they be coming in with the likes of chichy and kristo??

So I think:

2007 Class is done:

2008 Class:

Expect 1 Goalie

2009 Class:

5-6 Forwards

2-3 Defense

1 Goalie

Any insiders?

i disagree with tj being gone...but thats also wishful thinking too. i would expect him to be gone in 2008, which would make way for david toews...who the sioux will probably do almost anything to get in green. chorney and lee as 3 year players too. 2009 will be a big recruiting class and i expect it to be full of talent...much like the 2005 recruits that are now sophomores.

Edit: also finley i see as a four year player, much like boyle of BC.

2008 will need a lot of defensemen. Radke, Bina, Lee, Chorney and Finley will all likely be gone. Forget how ready they may be and remember their draft positions.

2009 will need a lot of forwards. This big sophomore class will be graduating.

i disagree with tj being gone...but thats also wishful thinking too. i would expect him to be gone in 2008, which would make way for david toews...who the sioux will probably do almost anything to get in green. chorney and lee as 3 year players too. 2009 will be a big recruiting class and i expect it to be full of talent...much like the 2005 recruits that are now sophomores.

Edit: also finley i see as a four year player, much like boyle of BC.

I'm with you on Oshie possibly sticking around. Toews will go for sure I'd guess. For what it's worth, and it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in the grand scheme of things, my brother in law met up with Oshie's father during his freshman season at a game. Word at that time was Oshie would be playing at UND until at least through his junior year.

We shall see. I hope he sticks around though. He has Hobey written all over him.

2008 will need a lot of defensemen. Radke, Bina, Lee, Chorney and Finley will all likely be gone. Forget how ready they may be and remember their draft positions.

2009 will need a lot of forwards. This big sophomore class will be graduating.

I agree. Some sooner rather than later. This early in the season it is hard to project, but Chorney is having a great year defensively. I think he leads the list of defensemen who may defect after this season (and he may be the biggest flight risk outside of Toews overall).

so if we land toews or murray in that age group, would they be coming in with the likes of chichy and kristo??

I would guess so. Both Toews and Murray could play a year in the USHL if need be to get them more acclimated to the higher pace.

Those would be 4 great forwards coming in if we landed Toews and Murray to go along with Cichy and Kristo. I think that a few of those players could hold off on coming to UND until 09, when, like jk said, we will need more forwards due to the amount of players graduating.

With those 5 likely gone, we would have Genoway, Blood, LaPoint, and Marto for sure. With Jones as well.

We could finally see what Genoway can do on the blueline. :huh: