SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Lee has looked good, but I wonder why Lee couldn't stick with the USHL team he tried out for?

He didn't have a great tryout camp with Omaha, and they went with Scott Gudmanson who committed to Wisconsin, and Jordan Tibbett, who is a young goalie that is going to be around next year. I wouldn't mind see him play another year of juniors next year though, since he'll be behind two pretty good goalies at MSU.

The goalie situation will be fine. Give it time to iron itself out. This argument runs its course every year and, it frankly, gets really old. Were we looking for a goalie last year when Lammy and JPar gave up 7, 4, and 4 goals successively to Denver and Wisonsin? No, we weren't. Now, before everyone tries to compare Wisconsin and Denver to AA, I'm not saying Alaska is as good. But anyone who watched the game on the web can see how far AA came from last year to this year. They will beat other good teams. Bank on it.

How many great goaltenders, let alone great hockey players, do we see come in at the age of 17 and excel right away at the college level?? I can think of 3 right now, Stafford, Toews, and now Grieco. Toews wasn't really noticeable until after Christmas, Stafford was the same way as Toews, but not quite as good IMO his freshman year. Grieco will be a good goaltender. Maybe even a great goaltender. The coaches will continue to work on his skills and make him a polished goaltender. You can see the potential, and if you can't/don't, you need to recheck the prescription on those lenses. Don't judge him by 4 games where the entire team struggled, not just him.

How dare you bring sensibility here... ;)

Bruneteau has some brothers to. Funny how some of our rivals don't think that he is a big recruit and that there schools didn't want him when in reality every big time program recuited him. I read He could have went to Wisconsin or Minni, but he wouldn't even visit their schools. This fall He narrowed his short list down to 3 Denver, Michigan and North Dakota. So you know that others think he is going to be a great college player.

That's just a bit south of reality. Wisconsin and Minnesota both definitely talked to him, but they talk to dozens and dozens of kids. Neither team ever ended up offering him a scholarship.

I also got the feeling that Michigan's offer was solely for '08-09, whereas UND said he at least had the chance to come in next year if he plays great. I still think we won't start in college until the '08 season though.

That's just a bit south of reality. Wisconsin and Minnesota both definitely talked to him, but they talk to dozens and dozens of kids. Neither team ever ended up offering him a scholarship.

I also got the feeling that Michigan's offer was solely for '08-09, whereas UND said he at least had the chance to come in next year if he plays great. I still think we won't start in college until the '08 season though.

Yeah and Minnesota didn't offer Bochenski either.

This is from the Omaha website.

"Bruneteau, who turned down the likes of Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Denver and the University of Nebraska at Omaha, is a senior at Millard North this year and may join the Fighting Sioux next fall. If he doesn't, the 5-foot-10, 180-pounder may spend another year in Omaha."

I heard that Minnesota was never really in the running because he didn't want to go there at all, but Wisconsin, Michigan and Denver wanted him big time.

When it comes to Sioux recruits I don't get my info from reading message boards or newspapers.

I realize you said rarely, but don't tell that to David Hoogsteen, Jeff Panzer, Jason Blake or Ryan Duncan (to name a few) ;)

And not just on our team. In the mid 90s UAA had a 5'6" or 5'5" player that was simply unbelievably fast. I remember seeing him play (so it must have been between 1995 and 2000) where he started the puck out behind his own goaltender and skated the length of the ice and scored on us.

Oh, and don't forget Nathan Gerbe, who did pretty darn good for himself in international competition and with BC thus far.

The NHL has had several goaltenders at 5'7" tall (Vanbesbrouck, I thought was about that height) as well as one (brief) superstar in Theo Fleury.

Lives to play hockey 06 would me more correct if the old NHL rules were still in play, but they're not. I think you'll see a LOT more skill players (regardless of size) in the NHL in the future. Not going to say that there are going to be tons of 5'6 or 5'7 players in the league, but no longer will they go with a guy solely by size.

And not just on our team. In the mid 90s UAA had a 5'6" or 5'5" player that was simply unbelievably fast. I remember seeing him play (so it must have been between 1995 and 2000) where he started the puck out behind his own goaltender and skated the length of the ice and scored on us.

Oh, and don't forget Nathan Gerbe, who did pretty darn good for himself in international competition and with BC thus far.

The NHL has had several goaltenders at 5'7" tall (Vanbesbrouck, I thought was about that height) as well as one (brief) superstar in Theo Fleury.

Lives to play hockey 06 would me more correct if the old NHL rules were still in play, but they're not. I think you'll see a LOT more skill players (regardless of size) in the NHL in the future. Not going to say that there are going to be tons of 5'6 or 5'7 players in the league, but no longer will they go with a guy solely by size.

You are thinking of Cygan and/or Zaprazan. I'm not saying small players NEVER pan out and with the new rules you never know but personally I think players with more size usually have a big advantage (p.s NOT joe finley type players) . I guess we will see.

Side note few players on the tops of the NHL scoring list this year under 6'1. I would agree though with the new rules helping players with more mobility.

Info on Blood in my blog.

I wonder what his fascination with St. Cloud is? Does he have friends on the team? Likes the school? The town? Maybe the coaching staff? Playing Time? Definitely not the arena. Why did he shun so many top-notch programs to go potentially to an "up-and-coming" program? It just seems odd to me. What are the odds of him coming to UND?

I wonder what his fascination with St. Cloud is? Does he have friends on the team? Likes the school? The town? Maybe the coaching staff? Playing Time? Definitely not the arena. Why did he shun so many top-notch programs to go potentially to an "up-and-coming" program? It just seems odd to me. What are the odds of him coming to UND?

Atmosphere of the arena...

...65% St. Cloud

...30% Nodak

...2.5% Wisco

...2.5% UMD

You are thinking of Cygan and/or Zaprazan. I'm not saying small players NEVER pan out and with the new rules you never know but personally I think players with more size usually have a big advantage (p.s NOT joe finley type players) . I guess we will see.

Side note few players on the tops of the NHL scoring list this year under 6'1. I would agree though with the new rules helping players with more mobility.

If you look at the top 10 point output for a single season, only 3 are of the prototypical NHL size. The rest are either slight of frame or height. I am counting Troy Murray, Steve Johnson and Bob Joyce in the prototypical range even though Murray wasn't exactly big, but had an NHL build.

When it comes to Sioux recruits I don't get my info from reading message boards or newspapers.

Boy, Hakfan, you're my hero because you don't have to read message boards or newspapers to get your info. You're a superstar. Some of us also have the same information you do, but we don't feel the need to go onto a message board and boost our egos by proclaiming to all that we know someone close to the program. Let's all bow down to Hakfan because he doesn't read message boards for his info.

bow_down.gif

I for one appreciate what #1 Hak Fan has to say on here about recruits because I don't know anyone close enough to the program to get that kind of info in advance. The only thing I have trouble with is when he (or she) hints at something but doesn't give anymore info because I am impatient and don't like secrets but I understand why he/she doesn't say anything more.

I for one appreciate what #1 Hak Fan has to say on here about recruits because I don't know anyone close enough to the program to get that kind of info in advance. The only thing I have trouble with is when he (or she) hints at something but doesn't give anymore info because I am impatient and don't like secrets but I understand why he/she doesn't say anything more.

That's fine but the point of my previous post was that some of us also have the same information but we don't feel the need to brag about it or infer that we are better than the rest because we don't have to read message boards or newspapers to get our information. Also, discretion should be made when posting information that hasn't been made public if we want to continue to have access to that undisclosed information. I'm sure the powers that be would prefer that inside information isn't spewed on message boards prior to that info being made public let alone having someone brag about their "sources".

From my own experience, if you correctly guess the secret and are willing to keep it to yourself, #1 Hak Fan will be kind enough to confirm it. :silly: