SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Hammy from GPL claims that Cooper is deciding between U of M and UNO

The "sources" didn't mention UMN or UNO... just stated the Sioux were hot and heavy on Cooper. They were parents of AK kids on their Prospects team... their kids previously played with Cooper? Knew his parents? I didn't pay much attention, so Hammy could be right.

If he is not passionate about UND, why keep recruiting him? We need kids who really, really, want to play here. If he does not decide soon, pull the offer.

He's a junior in High School! Let him take his sweet time. Should the Sioux have pulled Grimaldi's offer because he took an extra month or two? I think it's pretty arrogant to think that kids should know NOW what they want to do in a couple years. Part of the reason you get a lot of these decommits is because kids commit so early. When I said he should have all the evidence he needs now, doesn't mean it feels right for him now. Maybe he is waiting to see what plays out with the gophers -- maybe not. Should players that the Sioux are looking at commit elsewhere when they don't have a commitment from the Sioux right away? It goes both ways. The coaches have reasons for holding out on an offer, likewise players want to be sure that they are making the right decision for them and their career. Let's face it, the Sioux wouldn't have Jason Gregoire now or Colton St. Clair in the future, if they adhered to that philosophy.

There was a Ryan Jones that played for Miami who was pretty darn good, any relation there?

And speaking of Jones', Matt and Zach have a little bro who is probably still a ways off from the college level age-wise, but just something to think about in the future.

I believe Seth Jones is the son of Popeye Jones. Popeye is an ex-NBA player. ....no relation. Popeye was a rebounding machine and a scrappy player.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/popeye_jones/

After doing a bit of reading, Seth Jones was drafted in the 1st Round of the WHL draft by Everett..and that was them knowing Seth was interested in college as well. Also, it noted that Jones wanted to get to the NHL as fast as possible, and Major Juniors may be the best route for that based on their style of league.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20090613/SPORTS/706139960/1003/SPORTS08

And while discussing his upcoming season, Seth Jones uttered words that might give Everett fans hope:

"I'm going to play midget minor AAA this year, see how big I get and keep working on all the things I need to work on," he said. "If I think I'm ready to come play after the season, then I'll come play."

After doing a bit of reading, Seth Jones was drafted in the 1st Round of the WHL draft by Everett..and that was them knowing Seth was interested in college as well. Also, it noted that Jones wanted to get to the NHL as fast as possible, and Major Juniors may be the best route for that based on their style of league.

interesting stuff on jones. also it sure has been a shift in recruiting for the sioux. i guess it seems to go in waves with shattuck/bchl/ajhl/usa teams with the ushl being the only league that stays fairly consistent from where the players usually come from. the mjority of the future recruits are all americans. i dont care where recruits come from but its pretty cool when you look at the diveristy of home states of all future recruits. california to arizona to missouri, illinois, wisconsin, ohio, pennsylvania back to minnesota and a couple canucks :)

interesting stuff on jones. also it sure has been a shift in recruiting for the sioux. i guess it seems to go in waves with shattuck/bchl/usa teams with the ushl being the only league that stays fairly consistent from where the players usually come from. the mjority of the future recruits are all americans. i dont care where recruits come from but its pretty cool when you look at the diveristy of home states of all future recruits. california to arizona to missouri, illinois, wisconsin, ohio, pennsylvania back to minnesota and a couple canucks :)

Don't forget stops in the AJHL too.

I would say Shattuck/BCHL/AJHL with the USHL always bolstering all four stops.

The kid is 14 and already 6-3 and a smooth skater. Damn this kid could be like 6-6 and big as heck. His dad was no small man either.

The Nike Bauer NIT Tournament is this weekend in New Hope, here are the Minnesota rosters and tournament bracket,

Minnesota White,

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster/show/236734-minnesota-white

Minnesota Red,

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster/show/236729-minnesota-red?subseason=33956

Tournament Bracket,

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0013/8116/NITBRACKET2010FINAL.xls

A GPL poster said this about Michaelson:

Inside info update: AJ Michaelson. He's not making a decision until his season is over. It's UND or UMN. A source close to the situation has indicated that he's "most likely" choosing the U and that they also believe that Lucia will be staying at the U rather than the departure we've all predicted. Regardless, the U isn't going to bring in a hack as a new coach (if they do) so I'm betting based on current information obtained that we will see "Michaelson" on the back of a maroon and gold jersey. Will continue to post as I know more.

It definitely would be nice to have him because you can't have enough recruits with top-end talent, but in reality, it's what you do with them when you get them, and I'm confident that the Sioux coaches do that better than our counterparts do.

The MN Hockey Hub lists us as one of the teams showing interest in Minnetonka's Thomas Schutt.

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/page/show/225443-2010-11-top-uncommitted-division-i-prospects#

He's a senior. Good defensive forward . Shut down Kyle Rau in the section championship last year - I've seen him play once or twice. That's what I know. :lol:

It sounds like Michaelson has or will be commiting to Minnesota according to GPL posters. No big surprise, but would have been nice to add him. Still really like the crop coming in the next few years with Grimaldi and Miller, who are cream of the crop recruits, then adding Rowe, Koules and Matteau. I really thought the Sioux had a good shot at him, but in the long run, the Sioux had their fair share of smaller players coming in already with Grimaldi, St. Clair, Mattson, and then Rowe and Koules, who aren't really big now, but who knows in a couple years. Parks and MacMillan are probably average size and O'Donnell probably more of a power forward by the time he gets here.

I really thought the Sioux had a good shot at him, but in the long run, the Sioux had their fair share of smaller players coming in already ...

FWIW, Michaelson is listed at 6', 180 lbs ... as a 2012 recruit (and thus a fair amount of time to fill out), he's not a monster, but I would classify him as "smaller."

• Upvote 1

It sounds like Michaelson has or will be commiting to Minnesota according to GPL posters. No big surprise, but would have been nice to add him. Still really like the crop coming in the next few years with Grimaldi and Miller, who are cream of the crop recruits, then adding Rowe, Koules and Matteau. I really thought the Sioux had a good shot at him, but in the long run, the Sioux had their fair share of smaller players coming in already with Grimaldi, St. Clair, Mattson, and then Rowe and Koules, who aren't really big now, but who knows in a couple years. Parks and MacMillan are probably average size and O'Donnell probably more of a power forward by the time he gets here.

if so then oh well, good get for um. get fausching or cammarata or both!!

if so then oh well, good get for um. get fausching or cammarata or both!!

Not to be a negative person since I do live in a bubble of positivity :D but I get the impression Fasching will go Gopher as well. Maybe I'm wrong. That would be sweet. :lol:

Basically, my theory is: if they live down here in the Metro area, and the Gophers are in the running, they'll go there. So much brainwash down here. Cammarata's at Shattuck, so we may have a better shot at him. I also think we seem to be set okay at forward for a few years, so I still think we need to look for some D.

FWIW, Michaelson is listed at 6', 180 lbs ... as a 2012 recruit (and thus a fair amount of time to fill out), he's not a monster, but I would classify him as "smaller."

He must have grown since the times I've seen him play on tv and such. He might actually not be that big, but he must be in that range. Doesn't seem to be that physical for being that size. Maybe that is why he chose Minnesota, as per his "the way they play the game" quote.