SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Christian also played on Saturday night against Duluth East (best recruiting public HS in the state). He looked good despite the fact that Moorhead's goalie really sucked, and lost the game for the team. Also, I was not aware that Brian Lee has a younger brother. Lee had significant playing time. I'm not sure how old he is, but wow he looked young.

I've seen Moorhead play twice in person and twice on TV so far this year.

Jordy Christian (junior forward) is an elite skater with good puck skills. He isn't very big and he has a slight build. He has looked good so far this season, but I still think he will need to get significantly stronger to succeed in the WCHA. I'm told his dream is to be a Sioux and I hope it works out. I think he's by far the best college prospect on this year's Moorhead team.

John Lee is a junior defenseman. Last year he played almost exclusively with the JV team (the Spuds had five senior defensemen) and he was behind classmate Jeff Foss on the depth chart. This year, I think he is playing better than Foss. Lee is a pretty good skater and he has decent skills. He plays with a bit of an edge that we don't usually see from Brian. At the rate John is improving, he may ultimately be a D-I prospect, but he has a long way to go.

jloos recently mentioned Devin Nitzkorski, another Moorhead junior forward. Nitzkorski has decent size and strength. He goes to the net hard and has a pretty good scoring touch. I think he is probably a kid who will have a chance to play some junior hockey and then we'll see. Pat Dietz is yet another junior forward with good skill, but not quite in Christian's class.

Finally, I also like what I've seen of sophomore forward Nick Thielen. He's another little guy with great wheels and a motor that doesn't quit.

One last Moorhead related update..

Beau Christian, a high school senior and Dave's son, is doing very well in goal for an outstanding Team Illinois midget team. He is 4-0 with a 0.957 save pct. and GAA of 0.75! I personally thought he was Moorhead's best goalie last year, but he sat behind two seniors. I think he is a legitimate D-I prospect.

Edited by Kermit

Adding to that A person whose son plays for Bemidji and has played both TRF and Warroad says that between Forney and Marvin he would take Marvin. He says Forney is good,not flashy but very strong and good around the net but he said Marvin is on a level by himself.Lets hope the marvin connection stays with UND

Edited by raynman03

Adding to that A person whose son plays for Bemidji and has played both TRF and Warroad says that between Forney and Marvin he would take Marvin. He says Forney is good,not flashy but very strong and good around the net but he said Marvin is on a level by himself.Lets hope the marvin connection stays with UND

I was talking this morning with someone who saw the Hibbing-Warroad game on friday and has seen all of Hibbing's games thus far this season and he said that Aaron Marvin was by far the best player they have seen this year. This includes players like Hoeffel and Fulton just to name a few who have committed to play D1 already. He told me that he was far and away the strongest player out there and was a beast to knock off the puck. Personally I have only seen him play at the State Tournament last year but I hope he is signed soon for either 07 or 08.

For all the local people, thusday night Warroad takes on EGf, at the EGF arena. This would be a good opportunity to check out possible recruit Aaron Marvin play. I'll be there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Marvin this season. I thought he was easily the best sophomore in Section 8 last year.

Finley is huge but I have yet to see hardly any physical play you would expect from a guy that size. He is very young and I think his physical play will pick up once he completely adjusts to the college game.

Finley was the "presence" name I was going to invoke. He should be a senior at a Twin Cities HS right now but he accelerated so he is pretty young. I suspect he'll follow the footsteps of Greene (and somewhat Smaby) and start to toss the body around more as this season goes on and even more sophomore year.

Finley was the "presence" name I was going to invoke. He should be a senior at a Twin Cities HS right now but he accelerated so he is pretty young. I suspect he'll follow the footsteps of Greene (and somewhat Smaby) and start to toss the body around more as this season goes on and even more sophomore year.

With the injury slowing him down, I'd look for Finley's physical game to be something you'd see more of his sophomore season rather than his freshman year. My two cents.

One last Moorhead related update..

Beau Christian, a high school senior and Dave's son, is doing very well in goal for an outstanding Team Illinois midget team. He is 4-0 with a 0.957 save pct. and GAA of 0.75! I personally thought he was Moorhead's best goalie last year, but he sat behind two seniors. I think he is a legitimate D-I prospect.

I was wondering what happened to Dave's kid, why did he go to IL?

Serratore is probably the Air Force Academy's coaches kid, who I believe is the brother of Bemidji's coach. I think they are Iron Rangers.

I thought Aaron Marvin was one of the best players, let alone sophomores in the state last season. If he continues to develop, he could be ready for the WCHA right out of high school. I would assume the Sioux don't actually have to recruit a Marvin :lol: ....Although I think there is a girl from the family playing for the U of M.

I was wondering what happened to Dave's kid, why did he go to IL?

All I can speak for is rumor, but I think it had to do with:

1. Playing time against tougher opposition

2. More games

How old is Beau? Does he qualify age wise to play juniors? If so, why didn't he go there?

Used to be in the family, she has since been disowned... :lol:

The Sioux need to recruit the kid very hard. He is a very good player. One of the best HS juniors in the state. He plays on the elite teams and select teams and develps relationships with other Mn kids who put a lot of pressure on him to stay with the golden rodents.

Evan Trupp, from the BCHL Penticton Vees, is expected to make a college decision soon, choosing between Wisconsin for this year, or UNH or North Dakota in 2007.

-from Heisenburg

It will be interesting to see if Trupp will wait another year to start college or if he takes the Badger offer this coming year. Judging by his size, he'll most likely be a four year player no matter which year he starts, so if he waits another year it probably won't matter as far as him getting a shot at the NHL.

This is somewhat similar [take away the difference in size] to the Eric Gryba situation. He had to decide between taking a scholarship offer for next year vs. waiting until '07 to play for the Sioux. Since he isn't expected to be a four year player before leaving for the NHL, waiting an extra year to play for UND would have meant getting to the NHL a year later.

The Sioux don't have scholarships available for next year, so they will lose some recruits that want to play for them but don't want to wait an extra year.

This is somewhat similar [take away the difference in size] to the Eric Gryba situation. He had to decide between taking a scholarship offer for next year vs. waiting until '07 to play for the Sioux. Since he isn't expected to be a four year player before leaving for the NHL, waiting an extra year to play for UND would have meant getting to the NHL a year later.

The Sioux don't have scholarships available for next year, so they will lose some recruits that want to play for them but don't want to wait an extra year.

As good and as highly drafted as many of the current Sioux (Oshie/Toews/Lee/Zajac/Stafford) do you think the coaches have committed their scholarships to potential recruits for next year?

Or do coaches typically consider early departures scholarships to be "found" money and distribute it to existing players?

As for big and skilled defenseman - I think Carl Sneep from Brainerd could be a good player for us. He's 6'2'' 210 pounds with good skills and is widely recruited.

I've heard he'd like to go to UMTC, but the gophers probably don't have a place for him next year or 2007.

Maybe he's the guy that we will sign for 2007 after a stint in the USHL ?

He could be a great pickup.

From the Minnesota Hockey Journal:

Carl Sneep of Brainerd visited the Gophers last year. According to his guardian Mark Sandelin earlier this fall Sneep was undecided as to where he would attend college and said there was no timeline for making that decision. Sneep made his second visit to the University of North Dakota last week.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

As good and as highly drafted as many of the current Sioux (Oshie/Toews/Lee/Zajac/Stafford) do you think the coaches have committed their scholarships to potential recruits for next year?

Great question. I don't know the answer. ;) My guess is that the coaching staff has not committed the scholarships of any of the listed players to other players for next year. The only committed recruits are VandeVelde, Forney, Marto, and Genoway. Forney and Genoway have both said that they are uncertain if they will be at UND in '06 or '07. I've personally wondered the same about Marto. I expect that Forney will definitely be at UND if any of the forwards leave early, with Darcy Zajac being another potential recruit who could fit that bill.

..Or do coaches typically consider early departures scholarships to be "found" money and distribute it to existing players?

Again, I don't know, but I expect that at least some of the money would be used for an appropriate "late" recruit if possible, similar to the Joe Finley situation last spring.

From the Minnesota Hockey Journal:

Carl Sneep of Brainerd visited the Gophers last year. According to his guardian Mark Sandelin earlier this fall Sneep was undecided as to where he would attend college and said there was no timeline for making that decision. Sneep made his second visit to the University of North Dakota last week.

I'm glad to hear this news. After Gryba committed to BU, I thought Sneep might be an alternative. I expect UND will still have a potential problem with '06 vs. '07. Sneep might benefit from a year of junior hockey(??), but I bet that there will be suitors with money for '06.

Excluding early departures except for Smaby, it would seem we have plenty of D for next year. So even if Marto was to stay in juniors for another year we'd likely be ok. I would guess if there's any interest in Sneep it would be for '07.

Bina

Radke

Lee

Chorney

Jones

Alexander

Finley

Marto

Genoway

Or do coaches typically consider early departures scholarships to be "found" money and distribute it to existing players?

The coaching philosophy at the University of North Dakota since

Excluding early departures except for Smaby, it would seem we have plenty of D for next year. So even if Marto was to stay in juniors for another year we'd likely be ok. I would guess if there's any interest in Sneep it would be for '07.

Bina

Radke

Lee

Chorney

Jones

Alexander

Finley

Marto

Genoway

That list does look pretty long (9), and none of them will be in their final year of eligibility! Eight defensemen on the roster sounds about right. The list could conceivably be shortened in several different ways. I don't think it is a sure bet that Bina will be able to play again. Marto and/or Genoway could defer for another year. Genoway could be moved back to forward. Any combination of Lee, Chorney, or Finley could decide to turn pro (none are ready IMHO).

If Sneep has made two visits as reported by Minnesota Hockey Journal, there must be some mutual interest. He has a combination of size and skill that is uncommon. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

That list does look pretty long (9), and none of them will be in their final year of eligibility! Eight defensemen on the roster sounds about right. The list could conceivably be shortened in several different ways. I don't think it is a sure bet that Bina will be able to play again. Marto and/or Genoway could defer for another year. Genoway could be moved back to forward. Any combination of Lee, Chorney, or Finley could decide to turn pro (none are ready IMHO).

If Sneep has made two visits as reported by Minnesota Hockey Journal, there must be some mutual interest. He has a combination of size and skill that is uncommon. We'll have to wait and see what happens.

I agree. There are several questions lurking within that list.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Prospective Recruits