SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I'm not sure how BCHL teams are with recruiting, but Penticton plays home games tonight and tomorrow night (12/9 and 12/10). ;)

Well going through all of the posted recruits and checking on jersey numbers and appearances he's the only one that appears to match... there is always the possibility that I could be wrong, but I tend to be pretty good when it comes to the hockey boys...

It looked like Moorhead High Scool's Jordy Christian was behind the bench with Cary Eades before Saturday night's game. Another young man in a white shirt was standing with Brad Berry, but I couldn't identify him.

I confirmed that the recruit I saw was Christian. I would expect that Warroad's Aaron Marvin will be in sometime soon.

This is apparently from a Wisconsin paper, as posted on USCHO:

"Meanwhile, a decision is expected by the weekend from Evan Trupp, a center with Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League. UW wants Trupp, one of the top scorers in the BCHL, for next season. The other finalists, North Dakota and New Hampshire, apparently want Trupp for 2007-08."

Up front, UND loses Prpich after this year, and probably Stafford, with Zajac a sizable risk as well. Right now Forney and Vandevelde are coming in.

For 2007, though, UND will need the numbers again. Porter and Fabian graduate, and Oshie and Toews will be big risks to leave, if they're even still here for next year.

We always get great recruits and I'm confient Hak knows what he's doing.

Is it a concern, though, that everyone in the WCHA has more recruits committed than our Sioux ?

According to Chris Heisenberg, here are the recruits for the other WCHA teams. This is total recruits and not all have signed a letter of intent yet. In addition, some are 2007 and 2008 kids. Nevertheless, the numbers seem a little troublesome to me.

Sconnie - - 10

Goofers - - 10

SCSU - - - - 8

Dogs - - - - 8

Denver - - - 8

AA - - - - - - 8

Tech - - - - - 7

CC - - - - - - 7

Mankato - - 5

Sioux - - - - 4

There are still some great "gets" still out there.

Maybe we can surprise everyone and get Sam Gagner. I think Sconnie is the front runner though.

What's everyone think ?

I'm not worried at all about next year but I would definitely like to see some 07's very soon. I would like to see Mario Lamoureaux give us a committment as well as some others. I am hoping Hak and the boys can find a few diamond in the rough D-men as I believe we may need to get one or two committed for 07 in case of early departures.

We always get great recruits and I'm confient Hak knows what he's doing.

Is it a concern, though, that everyone in the WCHA has more recruits committed than our Sioux ?

According to Chris Heisenberg, here are the recruits for the other WCHA teams. This is total recruits and not all have signed a letter of intent yet. In addition, some are 2007 and 2008 kids. Nevertheless, the numbers seem a little troublesome to me.

Sconnie - - 10

Goofers - - 10

SCSU - - - - 8

Dogs - - - - 8

Denver - - - 8

AA - - - - - - 8

Tech - - - - - 7

CC - - - - - - 7

Mankato - - 5

Sioux - - - - 4

There are still some great "gets" still out there.

Maybe we can surprise everyone and get Sam Gagner. I think Sconnie is the front runner though.

What's everyone think ?

I think, with this year's freshmen class so big, that our recruiting classes for the next year or two should be smaller than others. So, as they say, size doesn't matter.

And from what I've read, Sam Gagner is either going UMN or UW with whomever's home city the reporter's reporting from having the "lead"

I'm not worried at all about next year but I would definitely like to see some 07's very soon. I would like to see Mario Lamoureaux give us a committment as well as some others. I am hoping Hak and the boys can find a few diamond in the rough D-men as I believe we may need to get one or two committed for 07 in case of early departures.

If Hak gets in a bind on D here is another Winnipeger he could possibly turn too. I know this family well as my son used to play with Wade. Father is in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. In fact Wade reminds me of a young Hak.

http://www.wsblues.mb.ca/profiles/Poplawski.html

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

Depending on early departures, the Sioux may not have a lot of spots to fill next year. I would like to see some good names on the list who can do either '06 or '07 depending on departures, however. They've done a very good job, so I'm not too worried.

If Hak gets in a bind on D here is another Winnipeger he could possibly turn too. I know this family well as my son used to play with Wade. Father is in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame. In fact Wade reminds me of a young Hak.

http://www.wsblues.mb.ca/profiles/Poplawski.html

Poplawski is a smart, skilled 1986 born D-man who has great character. His dad was the best athlete I ever played against in any sport. If you met the Joe (his dad) you would never know he was a Hall of Famer. He has too much class to brag about it.

Another kid that should be considered from the Blues from a character perspective is Dan Bohemier. Can score when he has too, but is more important for his leadership skills.

Colin was born in the States. His dad is Carey Wilson who played in the NHL for a number of years. Colin grew up in Winnipeg.

Futher to this. I heard through the grapevine that Colin Wilson has been getting some feelers from some Colleges and oddly enough it was shortly after this initial post. Hopefully some of those feelers are coming from UND since it would be a great fit for both Colin and UND.

Teams recruit for expected needs.

UND has four lined up for fall 2006:

F: Michael Forney, Chris VandeVelde

D: Chay Genoway, Jake Marto

There are only two seniors on the roster: forward Mike Prpich and defenseman Lee Marvin. Toss in the potential of early departures of Smaby, Stafford, or Zajac and the class for fall of 2006 seems about right. And don't forget that we may be getting Robbie Bina back and cleared for full contact and play.

The only question would be if Jordan Parise left early (where to find another goalie).

What the rest of the numbers from Heisenberg's site means is this:

The rest of the league will be skating 10 freshmen every night next year.

Seeing what Wisconsin's "old men" did to us, I'll gladly take the "old men" role and play teams with 10 freshmen on the ice. ;):D

Edited by The Sicatoka

Teams recruit for expected needs.

UND has four lined up for fall 2006:

F: Michael Forney, Chris VandeVelde

D: Chay Genoway, Jake Marto

There are only two seniors on the roster: forward Mike Prpich and defenseman Lee Marvin. Toss in the potential of early departures of Smaby, Stafford, or Zajac and the class for fall of 2006 seems about right. And don't forget that we may be getting Robbie Bina back and cleared for full contact and play.

If Smaby leaves (seems likely), the Sioux will have a d-corps that is really finesse oriented. That has already showed up big time against Minnesota last week. Marto is light, Bina is a stump, and Genoway is just plain small. A big horse would be nice, if not for next year, certainly for 07.

If Smaby leaves (seems likely), the Sioux will have a d-corps that is really finesse oriented. That has already showed up big time against Minnesota last week. Marto is light, Bina is a stump, and Genoway is just plain small. A big horse would be nice, if not for next year, certainly for 07.

I really see Genoway as a 1 for 1 replacement of Marvin. Both are F/D combos but Genoway can play Center, where Marvin, I believe plays Wing when he is up front. Unless he lights it up like older bro, I expect Chay to have about the same impact as Marvin on this team.

What concerns me more than Genoway is Marto's size. Sure, 6' is a good height but 160 is just plain LIGHT for that height. I'm no expert when it comes to size to success, but I really think that Marto's weight is a concern.

As for forwards coming in, I really like what Vande is going to do for us. Size and skill, maybe not the best skater. I just hope that McKeen's scout was off when he said Forney was "defensively lacking."

I have yet to hear if the Sioux are recruiting Jordan Willert. He is one of the best ND players I've ever seen play. I think he is playing with Mario L. at Tri-City. Those two would make nice additions in 07.

Jordy Christian has a ton of talent, very fast skater with good hands. His size isn't the greatest, but he is only a junior in hs, he will learn to adapt. There are a couple of other Moorhead kids who are also very talented. Jeff Foss looked good at D last year. Devin Nitzkorski is very talented, I thought he looked better than Christian a lot of times last year. There are a few others that are also legitimate college players.

If it was the same scout that was at the Ralph last weekend and wrote the article on Toews and Kessel, I would say he knows very little. Considering he said Kessel was the most explosive forward that was dangerous every time he touched the puck and the best player on the ice last weekend. I don't know what series he watched but it sure wasn't the same one I watched. My point is don't worry about what one scout says especially about a kid who is still playing high school hockey.

I have yet to hear if the Sioux are recruiting Jordan Willert. He is one of the best ND players I've ever seen play. I think he is playing with Mario L. at Tri-City. Those two would make nice additions in 07.

Jordy Christian has a ton of talent, very fast skater with good hands. His size isn't the greatest, but he is only a junior in hs, he will learn to adapt. There are a couple of other Moorhead kids who are also very talented. Jeff Foss looked good at D last year. Devin Nitzkorski is very talented, I thought he looked better than Christian a lot of times last year. There are a few others that are also legitimate college players.

jloos, I have to beg to differ with you on this one. You are one of the best posters, and I usually agree with you. However, I have real concerns about Jordan Willert being another James Massen. He's a big kid and can really shoot the puck, but he has many weaknesses in his game. He's scoring, but he's also playing with the top scorer with Tri-City. I don't think he's nearly as good as Paul Weisgarber from South or Jordy Christian from Moorhead. The only reason that Paul is not getting looks is his size, and conversely, the only reason that Willert gets so many opportunities is because he is huge. I hope that I'm wrong and that your assessment is correct, but I don't see Willert as a top prospect, at least not yet.

I really see Genoway as a 1 for 1 replacement of Marvin. Both are F/D combos but Genoway can play Center, where Marvin, I believe plays Wing when he is up front. Unless he lights it up like older bro, I expect Chay to have about the same impact as Marvin on this team.

What concerns me more than Genoway is Marto's size. Sure, 6' is a good height but 160 is just plain LIGHT for that height. I'm no expert when it comes to size to success, but I really think that Marto's weight is a concern.

As for forwards coming in, I really like what Vande is going to do for us. Size and skill, maybe not the best skater. I just hope that McKeen's scout was off when he said Forney was "defensively lacking."

Vande certainly is not exactly lighting it up in Lincoln if you look at his stats. I do think in time he should be a pretty decent player however. I too am concerned with what will be a serious lack of size and physical play from our d next year. Smaby will be gone. Lee and Chorney do not play physical at all especially Lee. Jones plays physical but does not have the size to intimidate the opposition. Radke is not physical and Marto is very light on the strength side of things. Finley is huge but I have yet to see hardly any physical play you would expect from a guy that size. He is very young and I think his physical play will pick up once he completely adjusts to the college game. In an ideal world you would have a balance between physical d-men and puck carrying/finesse d-men. Last year we did not have the finesse d-man to move the puck and run the PP. Now it seems as if we are moving toward an all finesse d-corps with the excetion of Finley for the next few years. I will put my faith in the coaches hopefully they have this all planned out.