SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

While were adding prospects, I'd like to add Eric Gault Defenceman from Fargo South. Gault let the Elite 1 League d-men in scoring and IMO is the #1 prospect comming out of ND HS Hockey this year. Just like Marto, he will need a year of juniors to adjust to higher talent. From listening to others he opened some eyes this fall with his Elite League performance.

While were adding prospects, I'd like to add Eric Gault Defenceman from Fargo South. Gault let the Elite 1 League d-men in scoring and IMO is the #1 prospect comming out of ND HS Hockey this year. Just like Marto, he will need a year of juniors to adjust to higher talent. From listening to others he opened some eyes this fall with his Elite League performance.

I agree. He's another smaller guy (5'11", 175 lb.). Jake Marto is currently listed at 6'0'', 160 lb! That worries me a little..

I do love to see some North Dakota kids get a shot and I think Galt is a legitimate prospect. Some others are currently playing junior hockey. I still think that Mario Lamoureaux (11th grade) and Jordan Willert (12th grade), both playing for Tri-Cities in the USHL, lead the current pack of native North Dakotans. I'd guess both could be in the mix for '07. Willert is doing well now, but I think in time he could really bust out the way James Massen did during his second year in the USHL. Mario seems to be spending more time fighting than scoring. ???

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would try to just summarize who some of the big name available players are for 2006 / 2007 that the Sioux may be interested in.

Eric Gryba - Possibly the next in a long line of UND Blue Line Monsters.

Darcy Zajac - Doing well in the BCHL, brother of Travis.

Kai Kantola - Only A player in NAHL, currently in Fargo, I believe mentioned only by other posters.

Jim O'Brian - Big RW National Team Player.

Brad Thiessen - Maybe #2 BCHL Goalie, DU got #1.

Your Thoughts...

I thought I would try to just summarize who some of the big name available players are for 2006 / 2007 that the Sioux may be interested in.

Eric Gryba - Possibly the next in a long line of UND Blue Line Monsters.

Kai Kantola - Only A player in NAHL, currently in Fargo, I believe mentioned only by other posters.

Jim O'Brian - Big RW National Team Player.

Brad Thiessen - Maybe #2 BCHL Goalie, DU got #1.

Your Thoughts...

Zajac has moved to #2 in BCHL scoring with 41 points in 24 games. Quinnipiac recruit Wong leads the league with 58 points in 29 games.

Two BCHL goalies have moved in front of Cheverie in goalie stats, lead by Brian Stewart (who's this Thiessen guy, can't find him on the list).

Edit: Found Thiesen, he's #12 on the list which is ordered by GAA. Thiesen does lead the league in save %.

Your Thoughts...

A scouting report on Darcy Zajac from a recent McKeen's (pay site) story on several Salmon Arm prospects:

"surprisingly quick feet.. boasts some power behind his wrist shot .. defensively conscientious.. can be guilty of over stickhandling at times .. distributes the puck well to his linemates .. won't hesitate to drive to the net and park himself in front of the goal .. has pretty good vision, but not elite like his older brother .."

I say sign him up. Maybe he won't possess all the skills Travis has but it won't hurt to have his attitude and size on the ice.

Yup, I'm all for keeping that Zajac pipeline open. Third brother, Kelly Zajac, plays for the Winnipeg Thrashers and is currently tied for second in scoring in the Manitoba AAA Midget League. Rumor has it that he is a very good prospect and that he will likely play for Salmon Arm in the BCHL next year.

Kelly can't leave the province. He is only a sophomore and he has to play in Manitoba until he graduates.

UND doesn't need any more defensemen for next year. They have 2 committed and Bina will most likely be back. You should see how good he (Bina) is at practice.

Figure UND will lose Smaby. If you can get a player like Gryba, you take him. Marto and/or Genoway can spend another year in Juniors. Actually maybe Genoway can't given his age? ???

Glad to hear that Bina is doing well...

Zajac has moved to #2 in BCHL scoring with 41 points in 24 games. Quinnipiac recruit Wong leads the league with 58 points in 29 games.

Two BCHL goalies have moved in front of Cheverie in goalie stats, lead by Brian Stewart (who's this Thiessen guy, can't find him on the list).

Edit: Found Thiesen, he's #12 on the list which is ordered by GAA. Thiesen does lead the league in save %.

Oops, I completely forgot that Mario Lameroux is not officially Sioux yet... ???

Kelly can't leave the province. He is only a sophomore and he has to play in Manitoba until he graduates.

UND doesn't need any more defensemen for next year. They have 2 committed and Bina will most likely be back. You should see how good he (Bina) is at practice.

So he is practicing with the team again?

UND Asst. Coach Cary Eades was spotted scouting an Alberta Junior Hockey League (AJHL) game between Okotoks Oilers and Brooks Bandits on Nov. 22. The AJHL website has rosters for both teams. Interested to see who he was watching

Kyle Richter?

Judd Blackwater?

Interesting to see Grand Forks Dr. Parker Eberwein's son is a goalie for the Oilers. He played at Shattuck the last couple of years.

He probably realizes he wouldn't get alot of playing time with next years Sioux D. At least he didn't go to another WCHA team.

??? If he's as good as advertised, playing time won't be an issue anywhere. That's nearly as over-used as an after the fact assessment as when people say "The Gophers pulled their offer." or "We didn't want him anyway."

??? If he's as good as advertised, playing time won't be an issue anywhere. That's nearly as over-used as an after the fact assessment as when people say "The Gophers pulled their offer." or "We didn't want him anyway."

Well if Bina comes back and Gryba is the Freshman who would sit on a nightly basis then.

There are certainly a number of 'what-if's' that factor into recruiting top players. I don't think "You probably won't get much playing time" is one of the tools coaches use. I could be wrong.

I am not suggesting any what if's, merely stating reality. There is just too much talent that will all have at least one year of experience under its belt to add anyone else. Which is why I think a two way player like Chay Genoway was the only way to go. He provides the extra insurance both ways for a team that should lose very few of its players next year.

I should have added that he will play every night with BU which if he wants a fast track to the NHL will likely serve him better.

Edited by Sioux_Hab-it

Kyle Richter?

Judd Blackwater?

Interesting to see Grand Forks Dr. Parker Eberwein's son is a goalie for the Oilers. He played at Shattuck the last couple of years.

Eberwein is the backup goalie at this point. Richter did not impress (two very weak goals).

Jesse Perrin or Carter Madsen could be in the mix.

Perhaps the coaching staff needs to keep an eye on the Central Junior League in Ontario as well. St Cloud just landed a good one in Lasch from the Pembroke Lumber Kings, he has 60 points in just 26 games. My pick for the Diamond in the rough is the 6'7" D man with the Hawkesbury Hawks, Benoit Gravel.