SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Speaking of Marvin and Forney, they will be going head-to -head in the Little Ralph on thursday night. It will be worth the one hour drive from GF and $5 admission to see these future stars play.

For fans in the F-M area, Thief River and Michael Forney will play the Spuds at the Moorhead Sports Center tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Unfortunately, Warroad (Aaron Marvin) doesn't visit the F-M area this season, but we'll have an opportunity to watch Roseau at Warroad on FSN January 31.

Kai Kantola of the F-M Jets has committed to Bowling Green per Heisenberg.

McKeen's (pay site) has some comments on Warroad HS's Aaron Marvin: "Stands out on the ice and looks to have nice upside. Fast skater who can handle the puck at top speed, soft hands and touch. Also a fine playmaker who sees the ice and plays a physical game. Can be inconsistent though."

Kai Kantola of the F-M Jets has committed to Bowling Green per Heisenberg.

McKeen's (pay site) has some comments on Warroad HS's Aaron Marvin: "Stands out on the ice and looks to have nice upside. Fast skater who can handle the puck at top speed, soft hands and touch. Also a fine playmaker who sees the ice and plays a physical game. Can be inconsistent though."

Inconsistent? Such a vague term. This could mean that he may have work ethic issues, or he's prone to being very good when he's on and very bad when he's off...

In any case, he's listed at 6'3" 180!!! When's the last time we've had a FORWARD with that kind of size?

Inconsistent? Such a vague term. This could mean that he may have work ethic issues, or he's prone to being very good when he's on and very bad when he's off...

You seem to be compulsed to find the one negative word/phrase in a scouting report..

In any case, he's listed at 6'3" 180!!! When's the last time we've had a FORWARD with that kind of size?

Well, according to this roster:

Travis Zajac 6'2" 210

Erik Fabian 6'2" 210

Chris Porter 6'2" 205

Drew Stafford 6'2" 204

Next year will bring:

Mike Forney 6'2" 185

Chris VandeVelde 6'2" 180

You seem to be compulsed to find the one negative word/phrase in a scouting report..

Well, according to this roster:

Travis Zajac 6'2" 210

Erik Fabian 6'2" 210

Chris Porter 6'2" 205

Drew Stafford 6'2" 204

Next year will bring:

Mike Forney 6'2" 185

Chris VandeVelde 6'2" 180

Eh, apparently we can't break the 6'2" barrier....

Eh, apparently we can't break the 6'2" barrier....

In terms of relativity, I don't find 6'2" to be that small in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the average height of a WCHA player is?

Seems about average to be 6 feet.

Negativity, no. But I remember the criticism about certain players that have gone elsewhere and I just don't want to have any player that could fit that mold on our team. :silly:

I think Aaron Marvin is a good talent who would do well on this team.

As for size, 6'2" is the tallest we've gotten at forward. 6'3" listed on a roster card for UND, most people think "There's another defenseman for you."

Saw Coach Hakstol at the Moorhead-Thief River Falls game tonight. He picked a good night to attend Forney out of TRF put up 3 points and played a great high school hockey game, and also Jordy Christian scored 2 goals including the game winner in overtime. He did take 14 minutes of penalties however which may be a question mark but he will be a phenomenal player if he ever wears the kelly green.

Saw Coach Hakstol at the Moorhead-Thief River Falls game tonight. He picked a good night to attend Forney out of TRF put up 3 points and played a great high school hockey game, and also Jordy Christian scored 2 goals including the game winner in overtime. He did take 14 minutes of penalties however which may be a question mark but he will be a phenomenal player if he ever wears the kelly green.

Jordy would do well with our Power Kill Strategy.

BTW, I think Goran was the last Sioux Forward to be 6'3." (I'm not sure what he was listed at but I think 6'3" is about right.

I'm not sure how Kantola would of fit in at UND, but I think that BG got a good solid player.

The interesting thing to keep in mind with Marvin is that his game should have weeknesses, he is a High School Junior!!! He will only get better, and I think Warroad has turned out a good player or 2. If UND doesn't get this Kid, someone's head should role. UND is a Marvin birthright and expectation. :D:silly:

BTW is Marvin really eligible for this years NHL draft? I saw that he is listed as a top 50 prospect.

Finally, it seems that Shattuck is not quite as loaded as they have been recently. I think that the 07 and 08 graduating classes will have them back up near the top again.

Edit: One other thought, If we have a defection, will UND tap the slovakian pipeline again???

Yup, I saw Hak too, and he witnessed quite a show. Jordy Christian is making great progress in his development. Last season, he often looked like a talented player who didn't know how to use his linemates. Tonight he showed great playmaking skills to go along with his speed and stick handling. His 14 penalty minutes consisted of a check from behind in the 1st period which earned him a 2 minute minor plus a 10 minute misconduct and a trip later. Hakstol seemed to be enjoying Christian's play. I'm now a true believer. Sign the kid up. Christian == Jeff Panzer?:silly:?

Mike Forney had a goal and 2 assists for TRF. His goal came on a play where he crashed the net HARD. He received a pass virtually in the crease just as he was being checked. A defenseman and the goalie were both taken out in a tremendous 3-way collision while Forney kept his skates and the puck was in the net. I can't see Forney spending a year in the USHL next year. He'll probably be a pro in 3 years.

Yup, I saw Hak too, and he witnessed quite a show. Jordy Christian is making great progress in his development. Last season, he often looked like a talented player who didn't know how to use his linemates. Tonight he showed great playmaking skills to go along with his speed and stick handling. His 14 penalty minutes consisted of a check from behind in the 1st period which earned him a 2 minute minor plus a 10 minute misconduct and a trip later. Hakstol seemed to be enjoying Christian's play. I'm now a true believer. Sign the kid up. Christian == Jeff Panzer?:silly:?

Mike Forney had a goal and 2 assists for TRF. His goal came on a play where he crashed the net HARD. He received a pass virtually in the crease just as he was being checked. A defenseman and the goalie were both taken out in a tremendous 3-way collision while Forney kept his skates and the puck was in the net. I can't see Forney spending a year in the USHL next year. He'll probably be a pro in 3 years.

Christian would be a good pickup. Possibly 1-2 years in the USHL, and then 4 years Sioux. He could come when we need him, but would not have the NHL timer due solely to his size.

BTW is Marvin really eligible for this years NHL draft? I saw that he is listed as a top 50 prospect.

Yes, Marvin will be eligible after his 11th grade season ala RJ Anderson, Blake Wheeler, and others. Here's an interesting factoid: Sioux freshman Jonathan Toews (4/29/88), high school senior Michael Forney (5/14/88), and high school junior Aaron Marvin (5/27/88) were all born within a month of each other. :silly:

Edit: One other thought, If we have a defection, will UND tap the slovakian pipeline again???

With Zajac, VandeVelde, Forney, and Trupp in the pipeline and only one senior among the current forwards, I think the Sioux already have potential replacements for a couple of early departures.

In terms of relativity, I don't find 6'2" to be that small in my opinion.

Does anyone know what the average height of a WCHA player is?

Seems about average to be 6 feet.

I was joking that we have small guys, but can't seem to get that extra "inch". :silly:

Here's an interesting factoid: Sioux freshman Jonathan Toews (4/29/88), high school senior Michael Forney (5/14/88), and high school junior Aaron Marvin (5/27/88) were all born within a month of each other. :silly:

Thanks, Kermit. That's interesting to see.

Would love to see Christian in a Sioux uni in the future.

Is he a junior or senior this year?

I could see him spending a year in the USHL before heading (hopefully) to the Sioux.

Christian is a junior. I expect Jordy will consider playing in the USHL next year, but Moorhead will have an outstanding senior-dominated team. It may be a difficult choice.

Depending on the circumstances, not all players go to juniors. Oshie and Lee only played limited games with their respective USHL teams. They may be exceptions to the rule, but sometimes players can make the jump without juniors. Moorehead and Warroad were very talent-laden teams last year, it will be interesting to see what happens, as neither of them are dominant powerhouses this year.

I agree that Oshie and Lee, among others, have demonstrated that playing the senior year in HS rather than juniors doesn't necessarily set you back too far as a player. This is especially true with the competitive schedules those teams play. It has to be tantalizing to be part of the group to finally bring the state title to Moorhead. Guys like Kraft, Blake, Cullen and the recent group with Lee couldn't do it. If you thought you had a good shot at it, it would be hard to walk away from your senior year.

There are alot of these guys that grow up with teammates, and dream of winning a Minnesota Hockey championship. Something that very few actually achieve, considering the number of kids that play hockey. I'm sure Mr. Lee would have loved to cap off his career at Moorehead with a state title, and TJ went 2-3 which I'm sure he wouldn't trade for anything.