SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I would think getting Zajac's brother would give the Sioux a lot better chance at getting another year from the elder Zajac.

I agree that it might persuade him to stay around one more year for the chance to play with his brother. But if he gets offered some decent money.....who knows.

We'll see I guess.

I like that line of thinking, Travis is only going to be a JR next season he isn't all that old, so I am not so sure that NJ is going to be in a hurry to get him turn pro. NJ is a young team that already has a hugh stable full of young players that are not really setting the league on fire. In compairing Parise and Zajac I think Parise is more dynamic player and isn't lighting up the NHL either right now. In the past NJ has been a team that let players stay in college a little longer and develop as players instead of moving up to the IHL/NHL. I just hope that translate to UND keeping Travis one more year. Also, I just don't see Stafford in a Buffalo Uniform next season.

I like that line of thinking, Travis is only going to be a JR next season he isn't all that old, so I am not so sure that NJ is going to be in a hurry to get him turn pro. NJ is a young team that already has a hugh stable full of young players that are not really setting the league on fire. In compairing Parise and Zajac I think Parise is more dynamic player and isn't lighting up the NHL either right now. In the past NJ has been a team that let players stay in college a little longer and develop as players instead of moving up to the IHL/NHL. I just hope that translate to UND keeping Travis one more year. Also, I just don't see Stafford in a Buffalo Uniform next season.

Maybe only to rattle Goon's cage a little bit, I'll play counter to his argument.

First off, Zach isn't lighting up the NHL right now, you are right. Every time I read an article about him (I don't get to watch him play :lol: ) and watch the stat sheet (so take this as you will), it seems to me that Zach's role on the team isn't within the area we who've watched him regularly as a collegiate player or even at the AHL think as his strength. Whether or not he's being used correctly in the role he's in is something to consider. I have faith that Zach will improve.

Secondly, Zajac. Zajac is a different kind of player than Zach is. Travis has similarities (faceoff ability for one), but generally plays an entirely different game than Zach. In fact, IMO, if Travis were playing in Zach's role I think Travis would do well. He seems to be a mucker and a grinder moreso than Zach. Zach is a dynamic playmaker, whereas Travis is a superb setup man. As unflattering as this may sound, I think Zach's best bet is to be put on wing in the NHL and allowed to play a perimeter game (I think he's being allowed to do that now) while Zajac's role on NJ would probably be similar to his role currently with the Sioux.

The Devils need a guy with size, stick handling ability, and good eyes for the ice right now. A guy who isn't afraid to mix it up, get in to the net, deflect shots, and set up teammates. All of these traits are possessed by Travis. For this reason I think he's a flight risk.

I think I agree with everything Redwing said. They are two very different players. I hate to say it, but IMO Zajac will be the better NHL'er :lol: . He just possesses so many traits right now. They both have great speed, and Travis is very very strong on the boards to fight for loose pucks, like a center should be. Maybe it's just a dumb hunch and I know I might be wrong, but i stand by my prediction(and no I do not hate parise, I absolutely loved him while he was at UND).

I think I agree with everything Redwing said. They are two very different players. I hate to say it, but IMO Zajac will be the better NHL'er :lol: . He just possesses so many traits right now. They both have great speed, and Travis is very very strong on the boards to fight for loose pucks, like a center should be. Maybe it's just a dumb hunch and I know I might be wrong, but i stand by my prediction(and no I do not hate parise, I absolutely loved him while he was at UND).

My prediction is a modification of yours. Zach will not succeed in the NHL in the current role he is playing. I do not see him as a grinder line type player. Sure, he's responsible on both ends of the ice but he is a goal scorer. He needs to be out there with players who can set him up for goals. NJ's playing style right now just doesn't seem to fit Zach.

My prediction is a modification of yours. Zach will not succeed in the NHL in the current role he is playing. I do not see him as a grinder line type player. Sure, he's responsible on both ends of the ice but he is a goal scorer. He needs to be out there with players who can set him up for goals. NJ's playing style right now just doesn't seem to fit Zach.

I agree. You would think they would look at every level that Zach has played at and succeeded at, and take some clues from that. However, the New Jersey team is really struggling right now to find any kind of light. Zach with the Devils right now is kind of like Jason Blake with the Kings. Things just didn't gel.

Didn't see this posted anywhere. Per Heisenberg, Jacques Lamoureaux commits to Air Force.

http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit06.htm

whats the age differnece between jaques and mario, whos older?? thx

mario is who we are after correct?

nevermind just did some research...

mario birthday 6-18-88

jacques 6-14-86

will the sisters end up at UND?? heard they are pretty dang good!

Who knows. From everything I've heard (not seen, as I've never seen them play), they are REALLY REALLY good. UND would be lucky to get them. I'm sure every DI women's hockey program will try to get them.

I heard they got invites to some Team USA hockey function (I believe they are too young to play in the Olympics so maybe some other competition?) but I don't know what it is.

What are the chances that Weisgarber or Galt from South would make the Sioux team ('07) after a year in juniors?

Who knows? Erick Galt is getting plenty of interest from the USHL, but Paul Weisgarber has not had as much interest. Hopefully, he will get more exposure after the Moorhead game. I would never count either of them out as they are talented and extremely hard-working, but the USHL is a tough league and even success in the USHL does not assure success in D1 college hockey, particularly at a top program like UND. I suspect both would need at least 1 if not 2 years in the USHL before anyone could predict whether they can play at that level. I believe they both can play D1 hockey based upon their success in the Elite league.

Anyone have an idea how many recruits the Sioux are still looking at for 06 or 07.On USCHO and GPL they were talking about a defenseman from Brainerd(Sneep) maybe his name,he has visited BC,the Gophers and Wisconson this weekend. Seems like we are full for 06 but may need a few for 07.

I'm no insider, but I think that they want to bring in one more big D-man (Sneep or LaPoint has also been mentioned) and a Goalie for 2007 Theissen from the BCHL is the most likely. Perhaps others based on early departures.

Also it would appear the Jim O'brian is no longer being considered with the signing of Darcy Zajac. Jim's character has been called into question, so maybe this is OK.

I wonder if UND has looked at Matt Schepke.

http://www.pointstreak.com/framed/prostats...45&seasonid=883

I've heard he is looking for a scholarship offer from any big name school and supposedly Merrimack is after him hard.

He isn't naturally gifted, but is someone who works hard along the boards and scores goals by crashing the net.

Don't know, but I think that the reality is that Merrimack probably wouldn't go after a UND caliber recruit. Also he is an '85 birthdate, meaning his WCHA window has probably past. Heisenburg does have him on his list, but towards the bottom.

I'm no insider, but I think that they want to bring in one more big D-man (Sneep or LaPoint has also been mentioned) and a Goalie for 2007 Theissen from the BCHL is the most likely. Perhaps others based on early departures.

Also it would appear the Jim O'brian is no longer being considered with the signing of Darcy Zajac. Jim's character has been called into question, so maybe this is OK.

I hope the statement about O'brien isn't related to the fact that he committed to the gophers yesterday, or that he was leaning that direction. If it isn't, then that's fine. I just don't understand how some people can't realize that there are a lot of good players out there and each team is going to get their share of them. Remember, it goes both ways. Bochenski wasn't a saint before he came here, so there were questions about his character. He turned it around pretty good I would say, and kept his nose clean through college.

tnt, if siouxnami is referring to the same thing I'm thinking of, there was a post within the last week or so, by a gopher fan (one who usually has some inside 411), mentioning something about O'Brien's personality or character being a little "different" and if the report was accurate, if the gophers lost him to another team maybe it wouldn't be that big of a loss. Now to be fair, that comment didn't necessarily paint O'Brien as a bad egg, just a possibility of potential issues. It was heresay enough that I wouldn't probably have repeated it, yet at the same time siouxnami didn't just make it up because O'Brien is going to MN.