SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Vande certainly is not exactly lighting it up in Lincoln if you look at his stats. I do think in time he should be a pretty decent player however. I too am concerned with what will be a serious lack of size and physical play from our d next year. Smaby will be gone. Lee and Chorney do not play physical at all especially Lee. Jones plays physical but does not have the size to intimidate the opposition. Radke is not physical and Marto is very light on the strength side of things. Finley is huge but I have yet to see hardly any physical play you would expect from a guy that size. He is very young and I think his physical play will pick up once he completely adjusts to the college game. In an ideal world you would have a balance between physical d-men and puck carrying/finesse d-men. Last year we did not have the finesse d-man to move the puck and run the PP. Now it seems as if we are moving toward an all finesse d-corps with the excetion of Finley for the next few years. I will put my faith in the coaches hopefully they have this all planned out.

Vande certainly is not exactly lighting it up in Lincoln if you look at his stats. I do think in time he should be a pretty decent player however. I too am concerned with what will be a serious lack of size and physical play from our d next year. Smaby will be gone. Lee and Chorney do not play physical at all especially Lee. Jones plays physical but does not have the size to intimidate the opposition. Radke is not physical and Marto is very light on the strength side of things. Finley is huge but I have yet to see hardly any physical play you would expect from a guy that size. He is very young and I think his physical play will pick up once he completely adjusts to the college game. In an ideal world you would have a balance between physical d-men and puck carrying/finesse d-men. Last year we did not have the finesse d-man to move the puck and run the PP. Now it seems as if we are moving toward an all finesse d-corps with the excetion of Finley for the next few years. I will put my faith in the coaches hopefully they have this all planned out.

You raise a lot of good points - we have been spoiled over the years by having some very physical defensemen and unforuntately as you stated in your comments, we are seriously lacking in that area. My hope would be that Lee, could develop into a more physical presence but his stregths at D really are more of a finnese style.

Despite his size Bina plays physical. Expect every D-man to way 10-15 pounds more by this point next year.

Edited by siouxnami

jloos, I have to beg to differ with you on this one. You are one of the best posters, and I usually agree with you. However, I have real concerns about Jordan Willert being another James Massen. He's a big kid and can really shoot the puck, but he has many weaknesses in his game. He's scoring, but he's also playing with the top scorer with Tri-City. I don't think he's nearly as good as Paul Weisgarber from South or Jordy Christian from Moorhead. The only reason that Paul is not getting looks is his size, and conversely, the only reason that Willert gets so many opportunities is because he is huge. I hope that I'm wrong and that your assessment is correct, but I don't see Willert as a top prospect, at least not yet.

I was going to compare him to Massen, but I didn't want to curse the poor kid. Massen did have one very good year for the Sioux, then had problems with injuries and disappeared.

The only times I have seen Willert play has been in select/elite tournaments. He stood out with a very loaded elite team last year. I will agree he does not have the flashiness that Christian or Weisgarber have, but he is a more marketable pro player.

When Weisgarber was younger he was the best youth player around, maybe the best I've ever seen. I coached against him when he was a mite, playing on a squirt team. He must have scored 100 goals. Granted I have not seen him play that much the last year, but the few times I have seen him, I have not noticed much improvment since his sophomore year. I did see him with the elite II team and his speed stood out, but he was easily put off the puck every time he touched it, as was Jordy Christian. If he can learn to play against the bigger stronger players, he will be a great college player. However, he needs at least a year in the USHL to learn that type of game.

You are usually right about these players, it will be interesting to see how they develop. I always like to see kids from Fargo play D1 hockey, even Danny Irmen :silly:

This forum seems a little frantic about recruits for next year - do we not have 13 or 14 freshman?? As far as other players leaving early like Zajac and Stafford - I would be surprised to see both leave at the same time. I do agree with the fact that UND has changed from Blais recruiting to Hak recruiting - the defenseman have turned a new leaf at UND. Where are the Greene and Comm's on today's squad??? It sure isn't Finley - maybe Smaby but not the same intensity. I think that Hak and Lucia are having a contest to see who can be the fastest team on ice and score the most goals. Doesn't Lee and Chorney remind anyone of Hagemo and Golagoski?? Wisconsin and maybe more so Denver reminds me of the Blais Sioux - very large defense who love to hit with skilled offensive forwards. Not saying it's a bad thing, just a sign of change -

This forum seems a little frantic about recruits for next year - do we not have 13 or 14 freshman?? As far as other players leaving early like Zajac and Stafford - I would be surprised to see both leave at the same time. I do agree with the fact that UND has changed from Blais recruiting to Hak recruiting - the defenseman have turned a new leaf at UND. Where are the Greene and Comm's on today's squad??? It sure isn't Finley - maybe Smaby but not the same intensity. I think that Hak and Lucia are having a contest to see who can be the fastest team on ice and score the most goals. Doesn't Lee and Chorney remind anyone of Hagemo and Golagoski?? Wisconsin and maybe more so Denver reminds me of the Blais Sioux - very large defense who love to hit with skilled offensive forwards. Not saying it's a bad thing, just a sign of change -

2006 recruiting is close to ending 2007 is what I am fanatic about...

Though I get the idea of what you are trying to say quite clearly, I'm not sure about your comparison of Chorney and Goligoski or Hagemo for that matter. Lee is very much in the same mold as those two, being solid offensive defensemen. However Chorney was known as much for his defensive play as his offensive play before coming to UND, whereas, IIRC, Goligoski and Hagemo were known as offensive defensemen standouts.

Offensive defensemen aren't bad unless they don't play responsible defensively.

..I do agree with the fact that UND has changed from Blais recruiting to Hak recruiting - the defenseman have turned a new leaf at UND. Where are the Greene and Comm's on today's squad??? It sure isn't Finley - maybe Smaby but not the same intensity. I think that Hak and Lucia are having a contest to see who can be the fastest team on ice and score the most goals. Doesn't Lee and Chorney remind anyone of Hagemo and Golagoski?? Wisconsin and maybe more so Denver reminds me of the Blais Sioux - very large defense who love to hit with skilled offensive forwards. Not saying it's a bad thing, just a sign of change -

I agree with your premise (the Sioux now have a more finesse-oriented d-corps than in the past) and I'm one of the posters who has expressed a hope that UND will recruit another physical defenseman, but..

I think the current group will eventually play a more physical game than they do now. Zach Jones is already quite physical (I think he has progressed very nicely since the beginning of the season). Joe Finley is supposed to be a senior in high school. The fact he is playing in the WCHA at all right now is a testament to his ability. As he gets more comfortable, I think he will be much more aggressive. I think Lee and Chorney will both eventually be considered excellent two-way defensemen (same for Goligoski and Hagemo for that matter). Remember Lee and Chorney are both 18 years old. Andy Schneider and Nick Fuher were both 2 years from appearing in a Sioux uniform at that age. Lee is almost 6'3" and he has a fairly big frame. I bet he'll be at least 200 lb. by next season.

I also think that it is important to remember that the college game has changed. The officiating is much tighter than it was years ago and there are many Olympic sized rinks. Mike Commodore and Matt Greene spent a lot of time in the penalty box and many fans were often frustrated with their play. Conventional wisdom was that they were better suited for the pro game than the college game. Meanwhile, Minnesota and Denver have won national championships the past four consecutive years featuring skilled defensemen like Jordan Leopold, Paul Martin, Keith Ballard, Ryan Caldwell, Brett Skinner, and Matt Carle. The Sioux have not been able to match that skill. The Sioux almost went all the way last year by making the most of the strengths they had, including a very physical corps of defensemen, but I think the coaching staff is making a conscious and correct decision to evolve somewhat in a different direction. The question may be a matter of the proper degree of this evolution.

Vande certainly is not exactly lighting it up in Lincoln if you look at his stats. I do think in time he should be a pretty decent player however.

VandeVelde is a bit of an enigma. At times last year in high school, he was ever bit as dominant as Oshie. I think Steve Johnson was expecting him to be a leader and a star in Lincoln this year. He certainly hasn't been, but I don't think it is likely that a lack of ability is the problem.

I think some of the D is a matter of you get what you can get when you can get it. Certainly the complexion of the D has changed over the past few years. We had a very intimidating D the last few years, and it nearly brought home a championship last spring. But I remember often wishing we had more offensive ability in that group. This year we certainly have more offensive ability, and we are less physically intimidating, but I'm hoping some of that physical play will pick up as guys get more acclimated to college hockey.

I believe we heard Blais comment from time to time on big time offensive defensemen that went elsewhere, that he tried to get. It happens to every coach...losing a player you'd like to get. Blais also said that really good offensive D are not a dime a dozen so you don't always have a chance to get one when you need or want one.

It could be there were better offensive defensemen available that the Sioux could land this year and that is why there appears to be such a stark contrast. Finley could yet be one of those physically imposing players. Time will tell.

I, too, hope to see some more intimidation in the D corp. Reading other boards and the papers it appears even Lucia wants that, but he hasn't really found one yet. Not ripping Lucia, but using this as an example. It's not always easy to find a 6' 2"+ 210# defenseman that can skate as well as Sioux coaches want, can make a good outlet pass, not panic with the puck, and are smart enough to play well positionally.

Hopefully the coaches will be able to find the right blend.

I, too, hope to see some more intimidation in the D corp. Reading other boards and the papers it appears even Lucia wants that, but he hasn't really found one yet. Not ripping Lucia, but using this as an example. It's not always easy to find a 6' 2"+ 210# defenseman that can skate as well as Sioux coaches want, can make a good outlet pass, not panic with the puck, and are smart enough to play well positionally.

You are so right. A big, skilled defenseman with strong offensive talent is what everyone is looking for. I don't know how many are still available out there for 2007 - hope we can get one or two. I really liked our physical presence of the past and while I know the game is changing, I sure love the intimidation factor from big defensemen for those little guys going to the net.

As for the Goofies, unfortunately, they have the highest ranked defenseman for 2006 signed. His name is Erik Johnson - from the USNDTP - 6'5" - 220 pounds according to Heisenberg. I have read many places where he is expected to be the first defenseman drafted next year - some say top 5 after Towes and Kesel, etc. Apparently he's from Bloominton MN -- I guess that explains why he didn't want to wear ND Green - so he's not only big but big and dumb.

As for the Goofies, unfortunately, they have the highest ranked defenseman for 2006 signed. His name is Erik Johnson - from the USNDTP - 6'5" - 220 pounds according to Heisenberg. I have read many places where he is expected to be the first defenseman drafted next year - some say top 5 after Towes and Kesel, etc. Apparently he's from Bloominton MN -- I guess that explains why he didn't want to wear ND Green - so he's not only big but big and dumb.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Just because Lucia landed a top defensive recruit doesn't mean that the defenseman is dumb.

Anyways, the last big defenseman (over 6'3") to play in Minnesota left after one year to assume his duties as a lifer in the NY Rangers minor leagues organization. And it must be something to get that role seeing how defensively lacking the Rangers have been over the last decade.

Anyways, location of hometown means nothing. Smaby is from St. Paul. He went to S. St. Paul High School before going to Shattuck. Chorney is from Hastings. We have a ton that came via Fairbault. Just because you are born in the Twin Cities area doesn't mean you'll attend UMN. Just like just because you're born in North Dakota doesn't mean that you'll play for the Sioux.

Edited by redwing77

I'm not sure I agree with this. Just because Lucia landed a top defensive recruit doesn't mean that the defenseman is dumb.

Anyways, the last big defenseman (over 6'3") to play in Minnesota left after one year to assume his duties as a lifer in the NY Rangers minor leagues organization. And it must be something to get that role seeing how defensively lacking the Rangers have been over the last decade.

Anyways, location of hometown means nothing. Smaby is from St. Paul. He went to S. St. Paul High School before going to Shattuck. Chorney is from Hastings. We have a ton that came via Fairbault. Just because you are born in the Twin Cities area doesn't mean you'll attend UMN. Just like just because you're born in North Dakota doesn't mean that you'll play for the Sioux.

EJ will be another UM top 5 draft pick. He is a hell of a player and will make UMTC a much tougher team. The only issue may be that 6'5" players aren't typically best on Olympic ice.

EJ will be another UM top 5 draft pick. He is a hell of a player and will make UMTC a much tougher team. The only issue may be that 6'5" players aren't typically best on Olympic ice.

We'll probably only need to deal with him for a year. Players that big and skilled are likely to go pro sooner than normal size folks.

As for my saying he was dumb - - I was only being facetious - - I just wish it was us who snagged him.

I think the most important aspect in a WCHA defensemen is experience. No matter how many Gophers forwards turn pro next year, I think they will be just as good or better than this years team if the blue line all return and can be healthy.

Ideally I'd always have experience on the 1st pair, working freshmen in on the last two pairs but giving them PP time in their skills warant it.

As for comparing Lucia's to Blais/Hakstol defensive recruits, wasn't the Don trying to get Smaby, Lee, Radke and Finley? Seems like both programs want the same thing. Size and skill.

whats the story with darcy zajac and mario (phils bro)..are they aiming at bringing these guys in next year or the year after or do you think they are waiting to see who leaves early and thn we will here more on these 2?? thx for any help.

Mario has an 07 schollie offer from UND on the table. He will graduate from high school in 07. As for Zajac I would guess that if he does come, which I think is a good possibility, he will come in 06. About the big skilled d-men for 07 who do you think we will get primetime? Any inside info?

Mario has an 07 schollie offer from UND on the table. He will graduate from high school in 07. As for Zajac I would guess that if he does come, which I think is a good possibility, he will come in 06. About the big skilled d-men for 07 who do you think we will get primetime? Any inside info?

thx

Any new word on Matt moreland or Jauque Lamaroux as possible signees both doing well in the NAHL

Moreland was a walk on last year and isn't this year. It was stated that he is taking collegiate courses at UND (or was last year anyways) so I'm thinking at least one year of his eligibility has been used up.

As for Jacque. Dunno.

Edited by redwing77

As for big and skilled defenseman - I think Carl Sneep from Brainerd could be a good player for us. He's 6'2'' 210 pounds with good skills and is widely recruited.

I've heard he'd like to go to UMTC, but the gophers probably don't have a place for him next year or 2007.

Maybe he's the guy that we will sign for 2007 after a stint in the USHL ?

He could be a great pickup.

I think some of the D is a matter of you get what you can get when you can get it. Certainly the complexion of the D has changed over the past few years. We had a very intimidating D the last few years, and it nearly brought home a championship last spring. But I remember often wishing we had more offensive ability in that group. This year we certainly have more offensive ability, and we are less physically intimidating, but I'm hoping some of that physical play will pick up as guys get more acclimated to college hockey.

I believe we heard Blais comment from time to time on big time offensive defensemen that went elsewhere, that he tried to get. It happens to every coach...losing a player you'd like to get. Blais also said that really good offensive D are not a dime a dozen so you don't always have a chance to get one when you need or want one.

It could be there were better offensive defensemen available that the Sioux could land this year and that is why there appears to be such a stark contrast. Finley could yet be one of those physically imposing players. Time will tell.

I think there's a pretty large rift between those two skills (offensive talent and intimidation). Basically it amounts to this...and I am just throwing this out there.

A big bruising defenseman without offensive talent will remain a big bruising defenseman. However finesse is something you grow up with, and you can beat those kids around until they learn to hit back. Then the finesse player who can now hit puts on some muscle, and you've got a good all around defenseman. :D

This is rather crude, but my point is that if you're looking for offense from your defensemen you need to find someone with that particular talent. It's easier to teach the finesse players to hit than it is to teach the hitters to score.

As Sagard said, though, it really is about getting those young guys experience. He pretty much hit it on the head. No matter how a defenseman comes into a program they can learn a lot through the years. Perhaps they can even develop a mean streak.

On the contrary to my point, Hak taught Greene to score last year, so I guess anything's possible. :lol:

I think its a decent chance you will end up with Derrick LaPoint.

Interesting I haven't heard this before. WI, is not a real hockey hot bed, but they turn out an occasional decent player. :lol: I would be interested to know what the source of your speculation is since you haven't posted much in the past.

Here are a couple of other speculative names for 2007 (no inside information)

Tom Serratore-LW Colorado Midget 5'11 155 7-16-89 2005 USA U17 Team

Patrick White-RW Grand Rapids 6'1 175 1-20-89 2005 USA U-17 Team

I am assuming that Serratore is the son of the BSU coach, and is likely not to go there (too much talent), so why not the next closest big-time school?

Patrick White played on FSN Friday night and looked raw, but talented. Hands down Grand Rapids' best player, but looked to be significantly outclassed by Jordy Christian of Moorhead.

Christian also played on Saturday night against Duluth East (best recruiting public HS in the state). He looked good despite the fact that Moorhead's goalie really sucked, and lost the game for the team. Also, I was not aware that Brian Lee has a younger brother. Lee had significant playing time. I'm not sure how old he is, but wow he looked young.