SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

If he's so great... how come I haven't heard of him? Was UND looking at this kid at all?

http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/uw/index...d=68568&ntpid=2

"A large group of schools had been interested in Gagner, with Minnesota, North Dakota, Michigan, Boston College, Boston University and Maine among them.

Davies will join Lincoln Stars teammate Ben Grotting in coming to Wisconsin next season. Listed at 5-foot-8 and 165 pounds, Davies accepted a scholarship from the UW over North Dakota, Maine and New Hampshire, but said the Badgers were his favored target all along."

UND still needs some bodies for the Fall of 2007. Porter, Fabian and Stafford will be gone for sure, and Zajac, Toews and Oshie could very well be gone as well. Counting Prpich, that's seven current forwards who may be gone by 2007. So far there are four forwards lined up to replace them: Vandevelde, Forney, Zajac and Trupp. Should be fun to watch it develop.

I'm not sure why you haven't heard about him, but he has been getting lots of press. He is widely considered one of the best forwards in his age group in North America. He may be the top forward recruit in the NCAA for 2007. I'm sure the Sioux knew all about him, but he narrowed his choices to Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and BU some time ago.

From USHR yesterday: "Gagner is a difference-maker, a character kid who has what it takes to someday soon win the Hobey Baker Award. An outstanding playmaker, what sets him apart from his peers, and made him so sought-after, is his outstanding ability to think the game at a high level."

Thanks... I guess I was just out of the loop on this one

Sorry...I hate to nitpick AZSIOUX, but Gryba did want to go to school...just not at UND. He is going to Boston U. You are probably thinking of Tysen Dowzak, who went to the WHL. ;)

Actually, Gryba did want to go to school at UND but the Sioux couldn't take him till '07.

UND still needs some bodies for the Fall of 2007. Porter, Fabian and Stafford will be gone for sure, and Zajac, Toews and Oshie could very well be gone as well. Counting Prpich, that's seven current forwards who may be gone by 2007. So far there are four forwards lined up to replace them: Vandevelde, Forney, Zajac and Trupp. Should be fun to watch it develop.

Scott Foyt will also be gone. If Zajac, Toews, and Oshie all leave before then (not unlikely), the current forwards remaining will be:

Spirko

Kozek

Watkins

Duncan

Kaip

Miller

Martens

If about 15 forwards on the roster is optimal, after the addition of Zajac, VandeVelde, Trupp, and Forney the Sioux may still have room for as many as four additional forwards.

Some of the possible forward prospects from our region include:

Mario Lamoureaux, Grand Forks/Tri-City USHL (offer on the table?)

Aaron Marvin, Warroad HS '07

Jordy Christian, Moorhead HS '07 (would almost certainly need to play in the USHL first)

Jordan Willert, Minot HS/Tri-City USHL

?Paul Weisgarber, Fargo South HS '06/?USHL

?Kai Kantola, F-M NAHL (I'm sure he'll have offers for '06)

I really like Taylor Matson of Holy Angels, but there is speculation that he will become Minnesota's next target after Gagner picked the Badgers. Aaron Marvin would be at the top of my list. I tend to think that Lamoureaux will be a good grinder, but not a top line scorer. I'm sure there are many good prospects in western Canada and elsewhere that the coaching staff has an eye on.

Is it me or is UND losing out on major recruit signings. Don't get me wrong Forney is an exceptional win for the Sioux, but it seems the guys getting much ink (i.e. Gagne, Gryba) are not choosing UND. Is Hak and Co. signing too many marginal players and not leaving roster room to get the proverbial big elephants?

Is it me or is UND losing out on major recruit signings. Don't get me wrong Forney is an exceptional win for the Sioux, but it seems the guys getting much ink (i.e. Gagne, Gryba) are not choosing UND. Is Hak and Co. signing too many marginal players and not leaving roster room to get the proverbial big elephants?

Don't forget that we just had an unbelievable recruiting class that is also a big recruiting class. There were what, 13 recruits? We have small senior classes the next few years, so you won't see us getting so many awesome recruits every year in my opinion. As of now, it looks like we're fine for next year. We only have a few people graduating. I'm not worried about it, as Hakstol and Berry have always been two of the best recruiters in the game. I also think it's nice to see smaller, skilled players(trupp) coming to UND and they will be four year players, and as we know from the WCHA history, the older teams have had a knack for winning. So I wouldn't be too worried.

Scott Foyt will also be gone. If Zajac, Toews, and Oshie all leave before then (not unlikely), the current forwards remaining will be:

Spirko

Kozek

Watkins

Duncan

Kaip

Miller

Martens

If about 15 forwards on the roster is optimal, after the addition of Zajac, VandeVelde, Trupp, and Forney the Sioux may still have room for as many as four additional forwards.

Mario Lamoureaux, Grand Forks/Tri-City USHL (reportedly a scholarship offer was on the table last summer)

Jordy Christian, Moorhead HS '07 (would almost certainly need to play in the USHL first)

I really like Taylor Matson of Holy Angels, but there is no speculation that he becomes Minnesota's next target after Gagner pick the Badgers. I'd like to see Aaron Marvin in the fold. I'm sure there are many good prospects in western Canada and elsewhere that the coaching staff has an eye on.

For a little fun, I'll try to make some comparisons between incoming Sioux recruits and current/past Sioux players (bear in mind I've never even seen Zajac or Trupp play):

Darcy Zajac == Mike Prpich

Chris VandeVelde == Chris Porter

Mike Forney == Drew Stafford

Evan Trupp == Rastislav Spirko

Some of those "marginal" players over the years have brought a lot more to this team than the "big elephants" IMHO.

Other potential names for the 2007/08 time would be:

D. Toews - Colorado AAA- 2007 if he accelerates and fends off MJ

Tessier - Colorado AAA - ditto

K. Zajac - Winnipeg midget

Colin Wilson - USNDP - as noted by Vegas on another thread

Heisenberg currently has Lamoureaux, Marvin, Christian and Zajac listed as 2007 recruits, and Toews, Tessier and Wilson as 2008 recruits.

Whether it would be the right class, I don't know, but it would be possible to assemble an all-legacy recruiting class of Lamoureaux, Marvin, Christian, Toews and Zajac.

Kozek

Watkins

Duncan

I think that Kozek, Watkins, and Duncan will really develop into special players for the Sioux. I could see Duncan becoming much like a Panzer-like player.

Of those possible recruits that you listed, I would like to see at least 2 of Mario, Marvin, Christian, and Willert in a Sioux uniform.

It's already been fairly well established that the problem with Gryba was timing, not whether we could get him. Sometimes there's only so much room, despite the complaints of certain AA fans that the Sioux "overrecruit".

I agree with what everyone is saying about the possible recruits and in my opinion I believe we are the first choice for Marvin, Christian, Willert and Lamoureaux. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that everyone on this sight can name a bunch of forward recruits that are on the Sioux radar but no one really has a D-man in mind. I know that we have a roster full of them right now and two more coming in next year but I would like for us to find one good one for 07.

I agree with what everyone is saying about the possible recruits and in my opinion I believe we are the first choice for Marvin, Christian, Willert and Lamoureaux. The only thing that really jumps out at me is the fact that everyone on this sight can name a bunch of forward recruits that are on the Sioux radar but no one really has a D-man in mind. I know that we have a roster full of them right now and two more coming in next year but I would like for us to find one good one for 07.

I agree. There doesn't appear to be many defensemen that are really jumping out at us (that haven't already committed). I do think we will need defensemen for the 2007-2008 season especially, as we'll probably be without Lee and maybe Chorney, definitely be without Smaby.... and there is a SLIGHT possibility that Finley might be gone as well (although all indicators show that he'll be around 3 or even 4 years at this point).

I have heard Derrick Lapoint come up a few times as being a potential 07 recruit for D. He is from WI and I read either on this board or somewhere else that he may come to UND. I have no clue about his talent though only know that he is listed at 6'3". Another name I'm gonna through out there is Ben Blood for 07 or 08. Again I have no clue about his talent just know that he plays at Shattuck. Anyone know anything on Hardwick at Lincoln and where he is going to go?

Toews and Forney will probably go in the first round of the NHL draft this spring. If so, that would make 5 Sioux in 2 years and 8 in four years. That's a lot of "blue chippers." While it's true that there was no room for Gryba in '06, the reason is largely because the coaching staff brought in Lee (1st round), Finley (1st round), Chorney (2nd round), and Jones (may be drafted in the spring) this year. If it turned out that they couldn't bring in Gryba because of scholarship money committed to Jake Marto, I might have some reservations--but I doubt that is the case.

Anyone know anything on Hardwick at Lincoln and where he is going to go?

The internet scuttlebutt is that Hardwick is being recruited by a number of Ivy League schools and Michigan Tech. He doesn't seem to be drawing much interest from the upper echelon WCHA programs.

The NHL Central Scouting Bureau has released their mid-season rankings. The easiest place to view them may be this post on USCHO. Forney (43), Marvin (48), Willert (78), and Kantola (80) are all in the top 80. The d-men we missed are at #33 (Sneep) and #50 (Gryba). Other services have Forney higher and I still think he'll go in the first round.

Some of the still available defensemen include Derrick LaPoint (96) and Kyle Medvec (84). Medvec is a 6'5" 200 lb. senior at Apple Valley HS where he plays with Gopher recruit David Fischer (25).

Edit: The full list is on TSN.ca

That's quite the list. Gophers, on paper, will have one hell of a freshman class next year. Would be nice to see Potulny and Irmen move on to the AHL ranks after this season, hopefully after being eliminated from the regional in REA.

Scouts raved about Johnson's play in Vancouver. So much so that him playing college hockey at all may not even happen, especially if he's chosen #1 overall. Of course, it all depends on who is drafting 1st. In that respect, Kessel and Toews could each likely be done with college hockey after this season.

For a draft class that has been labeled "not too deep", it certainly will be one that will have some interesting outcomes, especially to college hockey fans.

That's quite the list. Gophers, on paper, will have one hell of a freshman class next year. Would be nice to see Potulny and Irmen move on to the AHL ranks after this season, hopefully after being eliminated from the regional in REA.

You are right about that. Thank God Peter Mueller, who committed to the Gophers as a 15 year old and played on the USA Junior team in Canada recently, decided to pass on college this year. He is predicted to be a top 5 draft pick this year too. Had he stayed - the Goofies would have had 3 of the likely top 5 NHL draft picks this year.

I see the cheeseheads got Sam Gagner yesterday. Great pickup for them - projected as best 2007 recruit.

Looks like the WCHA continues to get the blue chippers.

I would like us to pick up Aaron Marvin for 2007. He's one of the better players from Minny and reminds me a little of Michael Forney.

You are right about that. Thank God Peter Mueller, who committed to the Gophers as a 15 year old and played on the USA Junior team in Canada recently, decided to pass on college this year. He is predicted to be a top 5 draft pick this year too. Had he stayed - the Goofies would have had 3 of the likely top 5 NHL draft picks this year.

I see the cheeseheads got Sam Gagner yesterday. Great pickup for them - projected as best 2007 recruit.

Looks like the WCHA continues to get the blue chippers.

I would like us to pick up Aaron Marvin for 2007. He's one of the better players from Minny and reminds me a little of Michael Forney.

Everyone talks about Gagner being on the fence between MJ and NCAA. Mueller committed to Minnesota before deciding to go MJ. Since everyone's been saying Gagner was going to MJ before he committed to UW, I'll wait to see him in a Badger uni before saying good catch for UW.