SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Does anyone else find it disturbing that recently we have sophomores and even younger kids committing to college like Ness did?

These kids are 14-16 years old max with very little thought except "Hey I like hockey and I like that school so yeah I'll go there." Is it even "legal" for a coach to talk to a kid that young and how binding is a verbal commitment especially when they are so young?

It just bothers me that kids this young are making HUGE commitments to a college when they most likely have no idea what they want to pursue as a career. I guess it's hockey huh?

I don't know all the rules but if the kid initiates contact I don't think there's anything that prevents a coach from talking to a kid.

A verbal agreement is non-binding and a kid (or coach) can back out of it at any time.

I think most coaches would agree with you. I don't think they like having to make decisions on kids that young, it's just that if they don't someone else will, and then you might be out of luck on the next Toews/Kessel.

I think a lot also has to do with major juniors and trying to get kids into college instead. In terms of landing top prospects, these kids have to make decisions when they're 15/16 years old about play college or major juniors. If college coaches have been recruiting them or if they have been on recruiting visits it gets them to see if they want to go the college route. So what happens is is you get a bunch of early commitments.

so are we out for nash, seems to be the case but i guess ya never know

I don't think so...I don't think he's made a decision yet. He may be waiting til his season, or the college season is over. I don't think that our Frozen Four appearance does anything but help our chances of landing him, assuming he's still up in the air with who he wants to play for.

We shall see!

I don't think so...I don't think he's made a decision yet. He may be waiting til his season, or the college season is over. I don't think that our Frozen Four appearance does anything but help our chances of landing him, assuming he's still up in the air with who he wants to play for.

We shall see!

Spoke with an acquaintance who has close ties to Salmon Arm team and he has advised me that the word out on Nash is that it is just a matter of time before he announces Denver as his choice for college.....

Spoke with an acquaintance who has close ties to Salmon Arm team and he has advised me that the word out on Nash is that it is just a matter of time before he announces Denver as his choice for college.....

That would suck.

Losing Gregoire and then Nash to DU wouldn't be fun. They are gathering a very good couple of recruiting classes as well.

I have followed the play of Jake somewhat the past couple yrs (online & I have someone with inside info)

Jake Marto was recently star of the game & before that second star.

http://www.lancers.com/leagues/newsletter....&page=17362

I hear his play has really stepped up (he has always played well defensively - but he is showing some of the same play making ability he had at Central)

Brett Bruneteau was the hero, scoring the game-winning goal into the upper right corner of the net at 4:21 of the overtime period. His goal was assisted by Jake Marto and Andrew Conboy.

& the Lancers have really improved on defense (Good goaltending / second half) &

Meanwhile on the penalty kill at home, the Lancers have killed off 83.5% of the opponents

zach budish declined a usntdp invitatio to go back to edina, this kid is a player and i think would be a hell of a pick up. i think either the sioux have shown interest or him with the sioux, i tink he is close with ness so hope he wants to play vs him with ness going to the gophers

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/

Edina HS forward Zach Budish was offered a spot on the team, but declined and will return to Edina, where he is a standout football and hockey player.

The USHL had a nice feature on Budish, he lists UND as one of his choices, here is the link http://www.ushl.com/news/0607/20070204CSBudishRandell.cfm. Apparently Gleason and Ness are pretty good friends also, remember that Ness made his decision on style of play over anything else. Hopefully Gleason (because he is from Edina) can have some influence on Budish coming here.

zach budish declined a usntdp invitatio to go back to edina, this kid is a player and i think would be a hell of a pick up. i think either the sioux have shown interest or him with the sioux, i tink he is close with ness so hope he wants to play vs him with ness going to the gophers

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/

Edina HS forward Zach Budish was offered a spot on the team, but declined and will return to Edina, where he is a standout football and hockey player.

There was a mix-up in communication on my part. He wasn't offered a spot on the team yet, but regardless of what happens, he'll be back at Edina.

There was a mix-up in communication on my part. He wasn't offered a spot on the team yet, but regardless of what happens, he'll be back at Edina.

I've also heard that Buddish is very good, but the only time that I got to watch him was at the State Tourney, where he didn't look that great. He could certainly develop into a very good power forward and could be an 09 where we need alot of forwards.

What's the difference in style of play between MN and the Sioux? I could see that a few years ago but the last couple of years we seem to have the smaller, more mobile puck moving defensemen and if anything MN has recruited larger forwards.

These teams look pretty similar to me. I'm curious what the difference is.

No need to take the blame, that was my error. Anyway, from what I've been able to gather, Zach's talked to one of the UND assistant coaches (Cary Eades, I think), but is only in the questionaire stage with SCSU and UMTC. Don't look for Budish to commit anywhere anytime soon.

What's the difference in style of play between MN and the Sioux? I could see that a few years ago but the last couple of years we seem to have the smaller, more mobile puck moving defensemen and if anything MN has recruited larger forwards.

These teams look pretty similar to me. I'm curious what the difference is.

The major difference in the olympic ice sheet.

This is straight from the Lion's Mouth....take it for what it's worth. I'm not going to say how or where I got this, but as this afternoon this is what Riley Nash said about where he's committing.

Hi ______,

I'm not really sure where that source came from but that isn't true. All three schools are still evenly being considered.

That was his response after I asked him about him supposedly coming out soon saying he's going to commit to Denver.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth...it ain't much...not expecting too much response from it, I just hope it provides a little hope as to us still having an equal chance, which is more than what's been talked about recently. ??? It might be just a cookie cutter answer so he doesn't give up too much info.

I just hope he stays out of the WCHA if he doesn't commit to UND.

This is straight from the Lion's Mouth....take it for what it's worth. I'm not going to say how or where I got this, but as this afternoon this is what Riley Nash said about where he's committing.

That was his response after I asked him about him supposedly coming out soon saying he's going to commit to Denver.

Like I said, take it for what it's worth...it ain't much...not expecting too much response from it, I just hope it provides a little hope as to us still having an equal chance, which is more than what's been talked about recently. ??? It might be just a cookie cutter answer so he doesn't give up too much info.

at first glance that sounds like the kind of thing that he would tell press(like how players like to say they are coming back), im not saying it is not credible, though. i still cant believe the time its taking for this nash commitment. it would be interesting to find out after all this what the reasoning was for the lengthy process.

You best be careful in contacting recruits (if it was you). The NCAA frowns on such things.

Here is the Link

Denver's 2007 Recruiting Class Still Not Finalized

Steve Cunningham-LW (3/19/07) Burnaby (BCHL) 6'1 195

Dusty Jackson-LW (3/19/07) (NAHL) 6'3 195

Tyler Bozak-RC (11/2/06) Victoria (BCHL) 6' 175

Marc Cheverie-G (11/8/05) Nanaimo (BCHL) 6'2 195

Jesse Martin-RC (10/28/05) Tri-City (USHL) 5'10 170

Kyle Ostrow-LC (8/17/05) Nanaimo (BCHL) 5'9 160

Jason Gregoire-LW (2/1/07) Lincoln (USHL) 5'11 175 (2007 or 2008)

John Lee-RD (10/3/06) Moorhead 6'1 170 1-16-89 (2007 or 2008)

Riley Nash - DU or Cornell (2007 or 2008) (Uncommitted

Careful Goon.

You got suckered in by dggoddard's blog there. (uncommitted) should be your first clue. He's just as hopeful Nash commits to DU as we are regarding him committing to UND.

I was only posting in response to where I had seen it. Its the only one of two places I have seen it posted. DG has a case of wishful thinking I am believing.