SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I know he's gone, but for those that are interested just from an overall hockey standpoint...

I sent a quick message today to Riley wishing him well in Cornell, and told him I wished we coulda saw him in kelly green going for #8 or #9...

ya haha it came down to und and cornell and being able to play with my brother just made that tiny difference i guess. im sure u guys will win more the just 8 and 9 in the next couple years.

He's a very nice kid and would have been a perfect fit in the Sioux system. LaPoint is another great kid with a good head on his shoulders. It looks like we're going after the right boys, that's for sure.

There is more to it than that, though.

#1 - Are you NHL ready?

#2 - Is the player in a hurry to get to the NHL?

#3 - Does your NHL team want you today?

#4 - How old are you?

Under the new CBA, a player is locked into both signing bonus and salary limits based on where drafted for his first NHL contract (and it cannot be a one-way contract). Also, under the new CBA a player becomes an UFA at age 27 (used to be 31). This means your first NHL team has a player locked down for less time before a player can demand more $$$ and potentially jump to a different team, so they get in a hurry to get you there, and frustrated when you don't jump (see what Carolina did to Jack Johnson when he did not come out last year?).

When you factor in those new parameters, it becomes more likely in today's NHL that a highly drafted college player will leave early to go the NHL, or even the AHL.

As for the age part, Oshie is 20, Chorney and Lee are 19 and Toews is 18. I am not sure how old Finley is. It appears Chicago wants Toews now, Edmonton wants Chorney now and St. Louis wants Oshie now. Have not seen Ottawa's public feeling on Lee nor Washington's stance on Finley.

finley accelerated studies to be here, so hes young and chorney's dad is very pro college, and toews is likely gone...the only thing that makes me think he would stay another year is his age. also with finley, im fairly certain hes being looked at as a 3 or even 4 year college player because of his size.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, and wants to watch some spring hockeyand one of our recruits (Joe Gleason), the Select 16 and 17 spring fesitals are in Plymouth. I believe they narrow the roster down to 50 and then 20 by the national festival in July. Iceburg on GPL posted the rosters so I figured I would post them here. There are a decent amount of players on here that are being recruited by WCHA schools and some have already committed.

1A/1AA

G Kraig Ewing (Rochester Century)

G Taylor Sturlaugson (Lakeville North)

D Kyle Kozelka (Owatonna)

D Mac Williams (Shattuck U-16) from Minnetrista

D Mitch Anderson (Rochester Mayo)

D Brandon Binder (Lakeville South)

D Beau Burgau (New Ulm)

D/F Ryan Kalan (Owatonna)

D/F Grant Paulson (Owatonna)

2A/3AA

G Jack Hanna (Centennial)

G Joe Phillippi (Hill-Murray)

G Trevor Tracey (Duluth Central)

D Charles Skarman (Duluth Denfeld)

D Brent Putney (White Bear Lake)

D Trent Johnson (Duluth Denfeld)

D T.J. Poganski (St. Cloud Cathedral)

D Bo Dolan (Hill-Murray)

D Jonathon Stadler (Hill-Murray)

D John Eide (Irondale)

D Jonathon Rowe (St. Cloud Cathedral)

F Charlie Oliver (Duluth Denfeld)

F Anthony Ferraro (Stillwater)

F Travis Baker (Irondale)

F Nick Skarda (Stillwater)

F Keegan Blehm (Stillwater)

F Joseph Effinger (Roseville)

F Willie Hess (Centennial)

F David Hafferty (Duluth Marshall)

F Paul Dettling (Roseville)

F Josh Dishop (Roseville)

F Daniel Anderson (Moose Lake)

F Chase Smith (Centennial)

F Logan Talarico (Duluth Denfeld)

F Andrew Henkemeyer (Sauk Rapids)

F Samuel Grove (Princeton)

3A/2AA

G Aaron Crandall (St. Thomas Academy)

G Nic Scudamore (Rochester Lourdes)

D Derek Docken (Northfield)

D Tony Mergens (St. Thomas Academy)

D Andrew Kryzer (Simley)

D Dustin Peterson (Richfield)

D Robbie Vannelli (St. Thomas Academy)

4A/4AA

G J.D. Wells (Anoka

G Joe Howe (Wayzata)

D Joe Gaystad (Maple Grove)

D Nick Jensen (Rogers)

D Joel Scattarelli (Rogers)

D Brandon Burrell (North Metro)

D Landon Olson (Alexandria)

D Jeff Lesmeister (Anoka)

5A/5AA

G Trent Anderson (Eagan)

G Landon Hersch (Apple Valley)

D Ben Branson (Burnsville)

D Randy Cure (Holy Angels)

D Corey Fienhage (Eastview)

D Erik Lyngdal (Totino Grace)

D Luke McManus (Rosemount)

D Tommy Velin (Apple Valley)

6A/6AA

G Matt Buonomo (Minnetonka)

G Derrick Cashetta (Edina)

D Patrick Borer (Benilde)

D Joe Gleason (Edina)

D Seth Helgeson (Faribault)

D Nate Jensen (Minnetonka)

D Anthony Raiola (Minnetonka)

D Alec Rush (Eden Prairie)

D Erik Soderberg (Eden Prairie)

7A/7AA

G Brady Hjelle (International Falls)

G Kyle Hennan (Elk River)

D Adam Boleman (Cloquet)

D Eric Olson (International Falls)

D Andrew Antikainen (Hibbing)

D Mike Boese (Hermantown)

D Sam Rendle (Grand Rapids)

D Drew Olson (Brainerd)

F Joe Frazer (Brainerd)

F Jake Kogler (Forest Lake)

F Judd Leinum (International Falls)

F Aaron Jamnick (Hibbing)

F Ryan McElhone (Elk River)

F John Stampohar (Hibbing)

F Shane Greniger (Grand Rapids)

F Keegan Flaherty (Duluth East)

F Max Tardy (Duluth East)

F Jake Youso (International Falls)

F Cory Volk (Elk River)

F Robb Roy (Grand Rapids)

8A/8AA

G Alex Christiansen (East Grand Forks)

G Michael Lee (Roseau)

D Aaron Ness (Roseau)

D Curtis Tolle (Park Rapids)

D David Kremer (Moorhead)

D Cole Meyer (Buffalo)

D Michael Pieper (Warroad)

D Ben Ammerman (Moorhead)

F Alec Schulz (Bemidji)

F Mitch Torrel (Monticello)

F Alex Altenbernd (Moorhead)

F Zach Lehrke (Park Rapids)

F Andy Stoskopf (Warroad)

F Trent Johnson (Moorhead)

F Josh Gaughan (Buffalo)

F Tyler Landman (Roseau)

F Dane Shaugabay (Warroad)

F Joe Becker (Moorhead)

F Luke Marty (Buffalo)

F Joey Wikoff (East Grand Forks)

I was reading another board and someone said that Ben Hanowski was down to either UND or SCSU. Heisenberg has him as the number two recruit out of the Midwest for 09'. Anyone have any info on him?

Well we need to get this kid in and have him see a couple of games. Because if we are comparing rafters there isn't a lot hanging in SCSU's.

Well we need to get this kid in and have him see a couple of games. Because if we are comparing rafters there isn't a lot hanging in SCSU's.

You mean quality over quantity...? Haha Never been to SCSU's, but from what you've all posted here they have plenty of appearance banners. Also, they can keep their "legacy" going in St. Cloud. :D

You mean quality over quantity...? Haha Never been to SCSU's, but from what you've all posted here they have plenty of appearance banners. Also, they can keep their "legacy" going in St. Cloud. :D

Not to be too complimentary to White Cloud State, but with the recruits they are getting and the coaching they have, I don't think they will remain one and done in the NCAAs much longer.

Not to be too complimentary to White Cloud State, but with the recruits they are getting and the coaching they have, I don't think they will remain one and done in the NCAAs much longer.

Actually I thought this year was their best chance in sometime to win a NCAA game and they failed. Their goaltender Wesloski isn't quite the tender that Bobby talent only gets you so far, so I am not going to hold my breath waiting for them to win a game.

I was reading anoth

er board and someone said that Ben Hanowski was down to either UND or SCSU. Heisenberg has him as the number two recruit out of the Midwest for 09'. Anyone have any info on him?

wheres he from? any info on landman from roseau? i know hes young but more and more seem to be verbally commiting ala ness..kristo and so on....and any word on michael lee? for those in the know up north what names should be looking ot for from warroad..roseau or moorhead or surrounding areas? gracias for any info..

They are certainly getting some good recruits, but I am interested to see how good SCSU is without Bobby in nets. He kept them in a lot of games over the last 2 seasons, and they also lost Gordon early.

If Weslosky struggles in net, I wouldn't be surprised to see them slip to the 4-6 spot in the WCHA standings.

Is he related to Brian Lee? Just wondering?

I don't think so.

I play hockey with someone close to Mike Lee. I don't know if the Sioux have "recruited" him (I know they can't), but he goes to Sioux hockey camps. He was showed the GF area by (I believe) Finley last summer.

Correct, he's at LF.

My hometown... He is on a high scoring line at Little Falls (over 300 points collectively this past season against some not so great competition). His linemate Jarod Festler (Jr.) has committed to SCSU, so that may explain his interest despite the lack of banners :D (and it is just over 30 miles away). The last I heard, Festler was deciding between returning for his senior year or going to Lincoln...

I've heard it rumored that Motzko is trying to logjam a solid class for '08, while not sacrificing next season too much. Basically, that would mean (despite last season's moderate success) that SCSU is really trying to make a statement beginning in about the '09-'10 season. Christian, Festler, LeBlanc and Kieffer is an excellent start.

Anyway, Hanowski and Budish will be two players that will receive considerable attention from UND, SCSU, and UMN. Hanowski is probably trying to angle for the best possible scholarship (which is why UMN might be out of the running), while Budish might be trying to do the same while staying as close to home as possible. I think it goes without saying that Motz & ko will not shy away from going head to head with UND and UMN for big-time recruits, which can only mean good things for SCSU hockey. :D

Has anyone seen Budish play? I have only seen him in the State tournament where he honestly was not so great. He has impressive size and seems to put up some good numbers. I will have to make it a point to see him this season. My guess is that Edina will be the #1 team in Minnesota next year and will play in the holiday tourney at the X. If so that will be a must see.

Has anyone seen Budish play? I have only seen him in the State tournament where he honestly was not so great. He has impressive size and seems to put up some good numbers. I will have to make it a point to see him this season. My guess is that Edina will be the #1 team in Minnesota next year and will play in the holiday tourney at the X. If so that will be a must see.

It's always tough for the younger players in "the Big Show". I do know that he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games in last weekend's Advanced 16's and 17's. His team (section 6) won all three games, but I don't know the scores. I believe they were pretty reasonable though.

It's always tough for the younger players in "the Big Show". I do know that he had 3 goals and 3 assists in 3 games in last weekend's Advanced 16's and 17's. His team (section 6) won all three games, but I don't know the scores. I believe they were pretty reasonable though.

I've watched him since he was a pee wee. very skilled and athletic with a nice sized body which he doesn't always use. probably the best mn 1991. He will play at the next level and then some

I've watched him since he was a pee wee. very skilled and athletic with a nice sized body which he doesn't always use. probably the best mn 1991. He will play at the next level and then some

does anybody know where he is leaning?? i think i read that his dad played football at UM, so they might be in front.

does anybody know where he is leaning?? i think i read that his dad played football at UM, so they might be in front.

I know some stuff, but since it will most likely be a while until he commits, he could end up changing his mind a thousand times before then. There's no need to start rumors.

I'll say this, he's talked to one of the UND assistant coaches already (completely within NCAA guidelines), while he hasn't had any direct communication with either SCSU or UMN yet. Obviously, he's been to the NHC already for the Select 15 camp, and (fortunately) that experience didn't entirely dissuade him. I'm positive he's seen a game or two at the Mariucci, so the cadavers that they call fans haven't dissuaded him either.