SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Well, I knew that much, but I saw something about Hak being upset when he left. I was just curious as to why he would leave his dream school. Or isn't the reason public knowledge?

Hunter left UND in December 06. He felt it was best if he went back to the BCHL to develop and get stronger. He left on good terms with the team and coaches.

I don't think he sits out for a year, unless he goes to another school. Even then, he might not, if he plays juniors next year. In the case of Tony Hrkac,he played in 84-85, went to the Canadian developement team for a year, then came back for the 86-87 season. Maybe rules were different then, or maybe cause it was a developement team, he didn't have to be in school a year before he came back. There was another Sioux, too, who did some thing similar (Kevin McKinnon? Jeff McClean?)

Too bad about Ness. One has to wonder if his dad had any affinity to UND though, being that he didn't get to play when he was here and I believe quit the team. Sure aren't picking up the offspring of UND players lately, i.e. Marvin, Christian and now Ness. I am sure they were after Ness in a big way, but not sure the offers on the other two. Glad we have Lamoureaux and Duncan in house now though. What does this do for Landman?

Too bad about Ness. One has to wonder if his dad had any affinity to UND though, being that he didn't get to play when he was here and I believe quit the team. Sure aren't picking up the offspring of UND players lately, i.e. Marvin, Christian and now Ness. I am sure they were after Ness in a big way, but not sure the offers on the other two. Glad we have Lamoureaux and Duncan in house now though. What does this do for Landman?

Lamoureaux's younger brothers (Jacque and Mario) are at Northern Michigan and the 2 younger sisters are going to Minnesota.

I think Ness will turn out to be a great player, though Marvin seems to really be falling lately.

I think Ness will turn out to be a great player, though Marvin seems to really be falling lately.

Yeah, I thought Aaron Marvin was a huge loss for the Sioux and now everyone's jumping off that bandwagon fast. What's up with that? I don't think he's that bad of a player.

Ness stings a little but keep in mind that Joe Gleason is in his age group and has a great amount of potential also. Ness's decision probably had most to do with his style of play and wanting to play on that olympic ice sheet, which is respectable. Also, going back to Marvin, Christian, and Lamoureaux, keep in mind that the name on the back of the jersey isn't near as important as the players potential. If the coaches think they can get a better recruit than take the better recruit.

This is the info I had on Hunter, from my December 13, 2006 post. (Can be found on my profile page.)

"I was asked by Hunter's parents to pass this info along to all the Sioux fans.

Hunter has made the decision to leave UND and go back to the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL. He is leaving on good terms with the coaches. Hunter feels it would be best for all if he went back to Jrs to play, develop and get stronger. He felt he would be more of an impact player at the college level, if he went back. Hak didn't want him to go, but he understood.

The Bishops want everyone to know that Coach Hakstol is a very honorable person and they admire everything that he has done for Hunter. They know that people are going to wonder, so they want everyone to know that nothing bad has happened at UND. It is an amazing place to play and the team is full of talent."

This is the info I had on Hunter, from my December 13, 2006 post. (Can be found on my profile page.)

Hunter has made the decision to leave UND and go back to the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL. He is leaving on good terms with the coaches. Hunter feels it would be best for all if he went back to Jrs to play, develop and get stronger. He felt he would be more of an impact player at the college level, if he went back. Hak didn't want him to go, but he understood.

The Bishops want everyone to know that Coach Hakstol is a very honorable person and they admire everything that he has done for Hunter. They know that people are going to wonder, so they want everyone to know that nothing bad has happened at UND. It is an amazing place to play and the team is full of talent."

Yeah thats fine, I know what I know.

They may have understood Hunter's desires but this doesn't say that the coaches weren't upset. I don't know if they were or not, but Hunter left right when the team was short of players due to the World Junior tournament, etc. I believe they were shorthanded for a few games because of this. His leaving came at a bad time for the team. Doesn't make him a bad guy for leaving. And his reasons are understandable. But the coaches may not have been happy with the timing.

Joe Schiller from Detroit Lakes, 78pts this year, 3rd in state in scoring, led section 8A in scoring, signed with Mankato. He will be a good one for them. He will also be there four years. I predict he will be one of their captains and make the WCHA all-star team at least as a senior. Needs a year in juniors to physically mature. Probably not a sure enough thing for the Sioux, Gophers or Badgers without the year in juniors.

Does anyone else find it disturbing that recently we have sophomores and even younger kids committing to college like Ness did?

These kids are 14-16 years old max with very little thought except "Hey I like hockey and I like that school so yeah I'll go there." Is it even "legal" for a coach to talk to a kid that young and how binding is a verbal commitment especially when they are so young?

It just bothers me that kids this young are making HUGE commitments to a college when they most likely have no idea what they want to pursue as a career. I guess it's hockey huh?