SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

I wouldn't remove August Aiken so quickly. Aiken had a Goal and an Assist on Friday night against the Vernon Vipers. Aiken is not playing very much and hardly no PP time in the playoffs - I don't understand. Aiken definitely has the explosive speed and skill to contribute to any college program. I know he would kill to have the honor of playing for the Sioux. His new team runs a defensive system and Aiken is playing Center. When Aiken played Wing for Salmon Arm he had more opportunities to score with more offensively skilled players. The Warriors are a low scoring team with not alot of skilled players but they have a great work ethic and grit. The last time the Warriors played Penticton - Aiken was the 1st Star and had 2 goals in the 3 -1 Westside win.

Interesting, though I believe that he is an 87 and the Sioux are pretty much filled up until 2009 (or 2008 with some more defections). What is his background?

I wouldn't remove August Aiken so quickly. Aiken had a Goal and an Assist on Friday night against the Vernon Vipers. Aiken is not playing very much and hardly no PP time in the playoffs - I don't understand. Aiken definitely has the explosive speed and skill to contribute to any college program. I know he would kill to have the honor of playing for the Sioux. His new team runs a defensive system and Aiken is playing Center. When Aiken played Wing for Salmon Arm he had more opportunities to score with more offensively skilled players. The Warriors are a low scoring team with not alot of skilled players but they have a great work ethic and grit. The last time the Warriors played Penticton - Aiken was the 1st Star and had 2 goals in the 3 -1 Westside win.

Aiken is from California and played for the LA Jr. KINGS Midget AAA team. Aiken was 1st noticed by the NHL LA KINGS staff who at the time was being coached by Andy Murray. Word quickly got around that Aiken was an exceptional player at the Midget level having scored 2 goals against the powerhouse Shattuck St. Marys at the UND Midget AAA tournament. Aiken subsequently was scouted by Garry Davidson of Salmon Arm and was drafted by the Sioux City Muskateers in the USHL. Davidson had said Aiken reminds him of Ryan Duncan and he would be a good fit. Aiken played last season for the Silverbacks where he was voted the Top Playoff Performer by the coaching staff. Aiken a lefthanded shooter is small and fast like Duncan and is real shifty with the puck and has good playmaking ability. He excels the most on large sheets of ice where he can use his speed and skating ability. Aiken has played on California based teams with Andreas Vlassoupolos (CC) , Ryan Lasch (St.Cloud), Bobby Ryan (OHL), and Rhett Rakashani (DU). Aiken played occassionally last season with Darcy Zajac. Aiken for 2008 would be a good fit.

Aiken scored a goal over the weekend for Westside. I suspect that he has a tremendous upside, here is the catch though. If you add up the numbers the Sioux have 1 maybe 2 forward spots available for 07/08 and Toews, Nash, and Lee are still out there. I have no inside knowledge of the situation though. Do you think he could be a potential walk on.

On another note Hunter Bishop had a great weekend for Vernon. I know it's unlikely, but I love to see him back.

Aiken would of had alot more points this season if he had played for Salmon Arm. Aiken still managed to have 51 points on 20 goals and 31 assists on a low scoring team. Aiken had to change his game to accomodate his teams defense 1st strategy. Aiken is a team player and unselfish with the puck and plays tough defense that is why he is so valuable. I have heard he would definitely consider walking on to UND. If Nash came along with Aiken watch out. In last years playoffs against Penticton at Penticton (small rink) Aiken had 2 goals and an Overtime assist to guess who ? Riley Nash.

I would love to see Hunter come back also. Someone should ask that question on the next coaches show,I can't because I work those nights :) .If someone in the know would be so kind to post if he could come back or maybe the way he left Hakstol maybe doesn't want him back.

Hak was pissed when he left, don't see him coming back.

My parents were up here all weekend visiting... they said when they were waiting for me to pick them up for breakfast this morning they saw Coach Hak talking to a recruit and his family at the hotel.

The kid was shorter than Hak, short black hair, and there was a reference about his sister also playing hockey (asking how good she was). My dad said he thought they heard him being called Joe, but he wasn't sure.... They couldn't give me much other than this... any ideas who it might be?

I think we know who Joe was... :)

Derek Lee is having a very nice playoff run, though Salmon Arm has run into a very good Penticton Team. Lee was the #2 star last night. Nash and Lee are both putting up points. I hope they caught the Final 5. My GUESS is that we should be hearing decisions by these two by early April. I hope Lee has written off Wisconsin. He could be part of an incredible offensive 2008 class.

There's been some speculation about Nash waiting for a scholarship to Cornell. I feel the reason, as siouxnami kinda pointed out, that they haven't made their decision is because they are focused on the BCHL playoffs. It's a little similar to why a college player isn't necessarily (or at least they shouldn't) thinking about playing in the NHL next year while the NCAA playoffs are going on. I think after the BCHL playoffs you will hear a pretty quick decision by Nash.

I wonder how long it will take to spell Cichy's name correctly. Chichy is the misspelling of a mexican restaurant in the Grand Forks/Fargo area that went belly up like... 10-15 years ago. ;)

Hey some of us can't spell. :blush: