SiouxSports.com Forum

San Diego @ UND 9/21/24

SiouxFan100

24 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Here are his stats for the year. 55% completion percentage and 5 INT's with 4TD's in 5 games. 

Yet we can't question whether or not the Wisconsin player of the year with all of the measurable and a PWO from Wisconsin, son of a coach might not give us a better chance to win? 

I was, have, and will root for Romfo to do well. But if you look at the stats and watch the games.....it hasn't been good. Yes we won the last 3 games, that doesn't mean we couldn't have won them with Jerry starting.  

Im sure Jerry could run the RPO and hand off 95% of the time. I don't like to knock a kid, especially from ND, but so far appears to be the poorest passing QB that UND has had in 40 years.  Not sure how you could even dispute that so far....but hey let's roll with him because our team is to fragile to handle us making a change at QB.  Did every other UND QB that didn't start until they were a junior or senior get to use the excuse......"they haven't played in a real game in 4 years". I don't remember that excuse ever being made in the past, usually it made us feel good that a new starting QB was an upper classmen and has been in the system.

I will be rooting for Romfo and his passing to improve,  because unless he gets injured he is obviously not leaving the field.  For the most part I backed and stood up for Tommy because there were definitely a few Tommy haters, and while Tommy had a few limitations he was pretty damn good. 

Screenshot_20240922_180412_Chrome.jpg

Did Simon actually say that?

I did find myself wondering during the game what Trey and Jerry were like during practice. Did they throw the ball off wall of the sports center or over the rail road tracks? Did they accidentally kick the ball instead of throw it? Did they hit somebody in the head in the stands on a deep pass? 

• Upvote 3

I can’t believe some people here, we are 3-1 with the qb won the fall competition. We lost one qb after this because he wanted to play more and I suspect we will be seeing him playing at top division II next year. Our highly recruited qb that so many love who hasn’t even played quarter is one so many want playing even coaches determined wasn’t ready yet to play. I don’t think this is unusual he is redshirt freshman still learning to play at this. Level besides learning offense. This is quite often path most quarterbacks usually go through to become a starter. Everyone so worried about leaving but if he goes he probably will start over to get playing time and he will need learn new offense with little playing time he is not going to get commitment to start with top FCs or FBs program. Second this is why we have coaches and this there job and if don’t win enough other people will replace them. Let people do there job and judge them after how they have done.if not then see if you can get hired see  how you do and be prepared for people that think they know more than you do when you have all the facts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

Screenshot_20240922_180412_Chrome.jpg

I didn’t stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

Would someone who knows please explain how a QB with a 58% completion rate and more interceptions than TDs has a QB Rating of 111.41.

Not trolling, just really want to know what goes into the rating criteria.

thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, MinnDak said:

I did find myself wondering during the game what Trey and Jerry were like during practice. Did they throw the ball off wall of the sports center or over the rail road tracks? Did they accidentally kick the ball instead of throw it? Did they hit somebody in the head in the stands on a deep pass? 

Jerry couldn't complete his passes, and Trey couldn't efficiently run an offense.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Jerry couldn't complete his passes, and Trey couldn't efficiently run an offense.

Sacrilege!!!!!  Don't you know that Big Jerry is the secret love child of Tom Brady & Peyton Manning.  I know it's true, I read it on the internet twice before,  probably. 

A couple years ago ndsu benched a QB who was 6’4 240 pounds, ran a 4.6 40, was 7-0 as the starter, but couldn’t throw a football. As dominate as they were running the football even they knew they couldn’t survive with zero ability to pass. Went went on to win another national championship that year

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Irish said:

I'm still concerned about how we are handling the QB situation.  Romfo certainly did better the second half but the first half was brutal.  So far he has thrown some of the worst passes I have seen from our quarterbacks in a long time.  After the first half we had 11 yards passing with a couple of interceptions and it's early in the season - and most of them were short gimmes.  Given Bubba's history the back-ups must have realized that there is no way they are going to get a shot this year.  A potential recipe for trouble.  

Easy to judge the QB situation in a vacuum. Bottomline is only the coaches have an idea what the back-ups look like, and I have to imagine it’s not very good.

The fact that UND is 3-1 with Romfo (an undersized Class B North Dakota kid) at QB is an absolute fabulous job of coaching, actually,  in my opinion.  As I mentioned earlier, though, want to see how UND looks like after a year of offensive recruiting with Fruechte. Future is potentially bright with Seidl and Deng Deng, just need to get the QB position’s future figured out. This overall approach is not all that surprising, honestly, when you look at Fruechte’s background as a player at Minnesota (2012-2014) and what Jerry Kill and Matt Limegrover were doing philosophically. 

13 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Big time. 89 tore us up.

No question the defensive coordinator and his secondary coach (we all know the individuals responsible) need to clean this up, because rest assured the big boys in the MVFC are guaranteed to see this and carve up UND’s secondary again and again if corrections aren’t made. 

11 hours ago, McBuckets said:

Don’t have to wait long…I can’t imagine what these threads are going to be like when we play the other Dakota schools. If this is what it is like when we’re winning Im worried Grand Forks is going to have a Minneapolis like riot when UND loses a FCS game

That’s a good thing. Means folks are starting to slowly (and I mean it’s been slow) care and expect more and more out of UND’s football program …

44 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

A couple years ago ndsu benched a QB who was 6’4 240 pounds, ran a 4.6 40, was 7-0 as the starter, but couldn’t throw a football. As dominate as they were running the football even they knew they couldn’t survive with zero ability to pass. Went went on to win another national championship that year

Fair point that everyone should recognize, but I’m not advocating UND makes a change. The quarterbacks behind Romfo aren’t guaranteed to be better than Romfo (and likely won’t be), and I’ll trust Fruechte as of now as he has been impressive thus far in my opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Let's remember Tommy was constantly shredded on this site when he had occasion rough stretches even when he was decent. If he would have looked like what we have witnessed to date this season at any point well......

the-simpson-people (1).gif