SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Iowa State 8/31/24

SiouxFan100

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

Heading to the game Saturday with my son and my die hard, Cyclone loving, ISU alum cousin!  Anyone know if the Alum associating or any former players have secured a tailgate spot?  Not sure if anything will compare to the unofficial UND tailgate in Lincoln!!  Looking forward to seeing a lot of green in the tailgate lot and stadium!

I know Friday night there’s the party at Dublin Bay Irish Pub. If you find out, let me know! We got 5 heading down Friday morning. 

6 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

If so it would be blind optimism. The real test will be vs the Griz at home on 9/7. Get beatdown in that one and well..........

^^^^THIS.   Griz game will tell us all we need to know, do good and I expect a good season.  

On 8/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, F'n Hawks said:

I was maybe thinking Utah or Washington but don’t think either of those teams ended up as well as they usually do the years we played them.

2017: Utah 7-6

2018: Washington 10-4

They were solid teams. UND and Bubba crapped themselves in both games, didn’t expect to win from the start. 

SDSU and NDSU expect to win these FBS games… whereas UND and Bubba have been well established as a program that plays for moral victories. I’m completely apathetic at this point having watched Bubba’s body of work over the past 10+ seasons. Would be incredibly surprised if UND even puts up a fight versus Iowa State. The way they played @ Boise and @ Nebraska the past couple seasons was an absolute travesty. Yet the guy is extended. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

^^^^THIS.   Griz game will tell us all we need to know, do good and I expect a good season.  

“Good season” = status quo = 6-6 or 7-5. Rinse and repeat. I think this is a reasonable prediction (but equally pathetic expectation). 

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m completely apathetic at this point having watched Bubba’s body of work over the past 10+ seasons.

Guessing this probably comes as a shock to anyone who's read your hundreds of posts saying the exact same thing....

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

Last year things generally went well and in the Hawks favor and we won close games until winning the Super Bowl. After the Super Bowl win it was very telling with such a veteran team how things usually go for this program. Disappointing to the point they should reevaluate everything including themselves. The schedule this year is brutal and teams are going to be out for blood. The amount of upperclassman on NDSU and SDSU depth charts along with the other teams is impressive. Having said that the QB and 5 interior lineman are going to have to control the game on their side. Make plays, pick up the blitz, hold the line like a steel gate and no turnovers. It’s as simple as that. Now the defense needs to turn it up. Make huge plays, rotate and bring relentless pressure over and over. Pick off passes and cause fumbles. Last year we made the QBs look like were playing flag football. I swear these guys in charge shrug their shoulders and say “well what can we do?” It’s going to be one heck of year and I have no predictions on wins and losses.  It’s game week! 

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Guessing this probably comes as a shock to anyone who's read your hundreds of posts saying the exact same thing....

And your quick backing response in support of Bubba despite sh*t results comes as no surprise. Your lackadaisical satisfaction with mediocrity is offensive, but also comes as a shock to no one. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And your quick backing response in support of Bubba despite sh*t results comes as no surprise. Your lackadaisical satisfaction with mediocrity is offensive, but also comes as a shock to no one. 

I haven't always agreed with you but it is depressing how a D1 athletic department can have such average standards for their programs. It takes going 1-29 to fire a VB coach.  Hell, even hockey doesn't threaten championships anymore.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Pointing out that you continuously repeat the same schtick over and over is a far cry from supporting a coach or "lackadaisical satisfaction with mediocrity" (in fact it literally doesn't have anything to do with it). I'd tell you to keep being you, but we all know that is a guarantee regardless of what happens. Except in person when you have the whole athletic staff in front of you and you choose not to air any grievances of course.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

But isn't a new season under Bubba the "exact same thing" year after year? 

Again let's see where this team is at around 945 pm on Saturday 9/7.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Pointing out that you continuously repeat the same schtick over and over is a far cry from supporting a coach or "lackadaisical satisfaction with mediocrity" (in fact it literally doesn't have anything to do with it). I'd tell you to keep being you, but we all know that is a guarantee regardless of what happens. Except in person when you have the whole athletic staff in front of you and you choose not to air any grievances of course.

I stand firm in my convictions. Not disappointed or ashamed in that, and your opinion (which is wrong, I might add) is certainly not going to change mine. The athletic department at UND, under Chaves, is far from perfect. The recent construction progress has been very impressive, I will say.  But, would like to see more success on the field and a willingness to facilitate new hires. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Pal, please stick to statistics and gushing over Massey ratings.

Thanks.

• Like 2

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/college/8-things-to-know-about-iowa-state-ahead-of-und-footballs-week-1-matchup?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2ChlCaQZmZlFgXq-2Asn7Wxy4QEObU0SIMw87eJyi7tvcT5Nixi_vv3Zg_aem_Kw4epKTG1DYCiXdKWQoDzA&ai=

Interesting —>

UND head coach Bubba Schweigert said earlier this week he had never coached at Iowa State in any of his stops.

His new offensive coordinator Isaac Fruechte, however, has some history in Ames.

Fruechte was an assistant coach at Northern Iowa in 2019 when the Panthers took the Cyclones to triple overtime. Iowa State beat UNI 29-26.

4 hours ago, Hawkster said:

Agree, haven't listened to the podcast yet, I think we will find out a little about our team and our QB, but the jury will be out until the Montana game. If Schuster were still here he would not be leading this team to a victory on Saturday.  At home against Montana I think he could. Very anxious for the game on Saturday, but I don't think we will likely even go toe to toe with them.

Forecast is partly cloudy and 76 degrees. Looking forward to listening to UND360 on the drive down. Pregame social tonight, tailgating tomorrow and the game under blue Iowa skies. I've heard the IS tailgaters are friendly to everyone except Iowa fans :) 

• Upvote 1

Lot of pressure on Coach Fruechte for this game and all of 2024, cause bumblin’ babblin’ Bubba ain’t it. Iowa State offense is going to have to come out with major first game rust and give UND some easy turnovers for this game to even be remotely close. The Montana game on 9/7 should be close only because the boys will be into it; at home, night game in the Alerus, etc. Football is an incredible team game based upon mindset, and there’s no way I see Bubba having his team’s mindset ready to compete for an actual win (not a moral victory) down in Ames tomorrow. But maybe Fruechte? One can dream, right …