SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

exactly.....millions of charities out there if you want to make a difference.....it seems like she loves to virtue signal....alot

It’s almost as bad as people that talk about not giving a very small amount of money if UND gives a coach an extension. I can imagine if you had any money what kind of demands you would make, considering you want every coach fired now.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, tnt said:

It’s almost as bad as people that talk about not giving a very small amount of money if UND gives a coach an extension. I can imagine if you had any money what kind of demands you would make, considering you want every coach fired now.

if i gave money to the basketball program it would be required that seats are no more than 75 yards from the baseline.....or no money.

• Like 1

I went to Matthews about 15 years ago and it had a very classic feel similar to Fenway. Sounds like maybe since then the goal was to let it fall apart to get a new facility. Watching a game from the balcony was like nothing else in college hockey. It will be missed. 

• Like 1

I saw UND play NU at Matthews Arena circa 2007. UND had played BC to a scoreless draw the night before in a weird game called due to fog. The experience at Matthews was awesome. Loved the old feel to the building, it even smelled old, like musty or something. I don’t think it was the players’ equipment. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2024 at 11:44 PM, Benny Baker said:

Thanks for the links.  Some interesting quotes.  Seems like this is based on negotiations between the usage agreement between the medical school building itself and the school?

“The university has negotiated with [NHBAC] in good faith to reach an agreement that is acceptable to all sides,” he said. “We are disappointed by the announcement by the Engelstad Foundation but disagree with the characterization of facts from what has been a difficult negotiation. We remain ever grateful to the Engelstad Foundation for their contributions over the years to UNLV.”

This article may shed some light on that.  https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/breaking-down-the-plan-to-build-unlvs-long-awaited-medical-school-building
But for Engelstad McGarry — who had long been a vocal supporter of ousted President Jessup — part of the calculus behind the creation of the development corporation was the ability to side-step the existing institutional apparatus that, in her view, had so far strangled previous attempts at a medical school. 

“For me, it became a matter of thinking around excluding [university leadership] in every way,” Engelstad McGarry said. “Because it didn't appear that they wanted to partner with us, at least not in a way that we could do.”

Two years of focusing on their recent receipients, interesting. Are they going through a reset and restructuring their fiscals? Are they spooling up for a big donation? So many questions. 

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Thanks for the links.  Some interesting quotes.  Seems like this is based on negotiations between the usage agreement between the medical school building itself and the school?

“The university has negotiated with [NHBAC] in good faith to reach an agreement that is acceptable to all sides,” he said. “We are disappointed by the announcement by the Engelstad Foundation but disagree with the characterization of facts from what has been a difficult negotiation. We remain ever grateful to the Engelstad Foundation for their contributions over the years to UNLV.”

This article may shed some light on that.  https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/breaking-down-the-plan-to-build-unlvs-long-awaited-medical-school-building
But for Engelstad McGarry — who had long been a vocal supporter of ousted President Jessup — part of the calculus behind the creation of the development corporation was the ability to side-step the existing institutional apparatus that, in her view, had so far strangled previous attempts at a medical school. 

“For me, it became a matter of thinking around excluding [university leadership] in every way,” Engelstad McGarry said. “Because it didn't appear that they wanted to partner with us, at least not in a way that we could do.”

KEM is not an honest broker. Buyer beware.

It strengthens rules regarding clear violations of contact to the head to include a major penalty (five minutes) and at least a game misconduct or disqualification. The past two years, a standalone major penalty was permitted to be enforced in some instances. Along with this adjustment, a minor penalty option is available to game officials. This is intended only for actions that are inadvertent or when the player making contact is using otherwise legal tactics.

Officials will have all options available for hitting-from-behind infractions (minor, major and major/game misconduct or disqualification).

Men's and Women's Ice Hockey Rules Committee members discussed checking from behind thoroughly last month and focused on the growing trend of players turning to create contact, often just before it occurs. With contact to the head, the committee focused on the players delivering contact, particularly cases where otherwise legal contact resulted in a major penalty.

Game officials will be given more latitude to consider an opponent's actions causing contact to the head or checking from behind.

High-sticking the puck

The panel approved a rule change making pucks played at shoulder height legal and not whistled for a high-stick violation. Previously, any puck played with a stick above 4 feet was considered a high-sticking violation.

Other rules changes

• When using video replay, officials will have the ability to review a major penalty and downgrade it to a minor penalty or no penalty. Officials can add to a major penalty during the review (game misconduct or disqualification).
  • A rule proposal dealing with continuous play was also approved. When referees signal a stoppage of play because they have lost sight of the puck but, in the immediate and continuous action, the puck enters the goal, officials will be allowed to award a goal. Previously, blowing the whistle took away this option.
  • A rule dealing with the scoring of a goal during a delayed penalty was removed. Previously, if a goal was scored during a delayed penalty call, the penalty was enforced, and the nonoffending team received a power play. Removing this rule will result in the penalty being nullified.

These stood out. The checking from behind I like because you keep seeing players turn at the last minute on what would be a clean hit that ends up being a major. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Need to be hard on Hampton 

Yes, for sure.  Having Hobie and Hampton as a goalie tandem for future years would be great.
Have Mac give him a call to persuade him.

3 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Yes, for sure.  Having Hobie and Hampton as a goalie tandem for future years would be great.
Have Mac give him a call to persuade him.

We skipping Heil? We've got TJ this year. Bringing in Hampton could push Hobie to the portal and Heil to another team. 

Certainly not saying he's a good tendy, but I usually see people upset when a transfer goalie comes in. 

45 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

We skipping Heil? We've got TJ this year. Bringing in Hampton could push Hobie to the portal and Heil to another team.

I wonder how many more years of jr hockey Heil will play...he was so young this year...does he play one or two more years of jr hockey before coming to UND?

Could have the Triple H goalie trio...Hobie/Heil/Hampton  ;) :D 

First thing I thought of was Hammer.  Guessing he signed his LOI, but that won't stop teams from poking in.

If he ended up at UND, Wodon, or whomever that guy is that doesn't like people attending college hockey games would lose his collective mind.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Certainly not saying he's a good tendy, but I usually see people upset when a transfer goalie comes in. 

Heil is probably going to have to play next year and at least the year after in the ushl. Until his numbers improve and he’s mastered the USHL. Hampton seems ready right now.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

First thing I thought of was Hammer.  Guessing he signed his LOI, but that won't stop teams from poking in.

If he ended up at UND, Wodon, or whomever that guy is that doesn't like people attending college hockey games would lose his collective mind.  

Yeah, I don't get that guy at all...let's play our most important games in an empty arena.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Heil is probably going to have to play next year and at least the year after in the ushl. Until his numbers improve and he’s mastered the USHL. Hampton seems ready right now.

Can't argue that, but what about Hobie? Does that kick him to the portal? Also, is Hampton ready to play in the NCHC? Hobie showed he can.

And just so we're clear, I'm not against bringing in Hampton as he seems like he's got the goods. But, I'm not ready to bail on either Hobie or Heil. If Heil does take two years, then it'll be fine, but that means Hobie again has a big battle for playing time that I'm sure he'd appreciate not to have to have lol.